Why become a member? ×

Bass plus harmonica?

Paul S

I went to a line dance social evening last night (yee haw etc) and the entertainment was a duo (guitar/bass) playing along to backing tracks. They are called Plain Loco or the Loco Boys, depending upon their mood I think, and are exceedingly good. The guitarist has a lightness of touch that is staggering and between them they raise playing to backing tracks to a new level. The bassist sang lead vocals most of the time, harmonies when he didn't, and rarely looked at what his fretting hand was up to.

But one thing stood out for me - he played a harmonica solo during a couple of rock n roll numbers whilst playing a fast walking bassline. How is this possible? So far as I can see it requires a skill beyond singing and playing. Has anyone ever seen this anywhere else? Or anything more complicated - are there violin playing bassists out there?

Obviously, this wasn't whilst singing and he had one of those frames around his neck rather than holding it.

I would love to be able to play bass and harp at the same time.

I'm a massive Dr Feelgood fan, and our band do quite a few of their numbers, so if I could nail some of Lee Brilleaux's great harp playing at the same time as playing bass, I would be ecstatic!

We have started to play Knights of Cydonia. I have mentioned to the rest of the band that it would be great if I played the harp piece that Chris Wolstonhome plays live. We have agreed it could sound great. Ok so he doesn't play bass & harp at the same time which sounds insanely difficult, but he plays both.

I have done this on one gig (just to be clear - bass and harmonica, not bass and orchestral harp!), and it was very hard indeed. I was trying to 'fake' the brass lines form soul numbers like [i]Midnight Hour[/i] and [i]My Girl[/i]. It is indeed very difficult, but not impossible. Effectively you have to get one (or preferably both) of the skills up to 'auto-pilot' level, so you are not having to think too hard!

Well - I sing while playing bass and I find it very easy. I sort of freaked myself out about it when I first tried and had to practise my way out of that silliness til my confidence returned - but anyway........

I always find myself singing other players parts in my head while I'm playing bass in songs where our guitar player does the lead vocal. Often the vocal line but sometimes guitar parts or solos. I also sing them or 'la la' them out loud. No reason - I just do.

My pal and part time 4th member of DocB, Gobiron Ryan , as good a harmonica player as you'll find , as was his late Dad (who I played with for years) both told me that harmonica playing - or at least blues harmonica playing - is just like singing with something in your mouth. That's how both of them approcahed it.

Ryan is a multi instrumentalist (inc being a decent bass player) and I know that he can play bass and harmonica at the same time even thoigh he doesn't live.

So - I put all thise facts together and they tell me that if you were acomplished enough at bass playing and playing harmonica it wouldn't be any more difficult than singing and playing.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1356274749' post='1908628']
I would love to be able to play bass and harp at the same time.

I'm a massive Dr Feelgood fan, and our band do quite a few of their numbers, so if I could nail some of Lee Brilleaux's great harp playing at the same time as playing bass, I would be ecstatic!
[/quote]

This says it all for me as well.

I would like to play bass and breath at the same time. Anything additional I am completely in awe over so much respect to you folks.

Practice. I sort of thought that might be the key, but I think your brain has to be wired in a certain way first.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1356295942' post='1908981']
I would like to play bass and breath at the same time. Anything additional I am completely in awe over so much respect to you folks.

Practice. I sort of thought that might be the key, but I think your brain has to be wired in a certain way first.
[/quote]

It does.

It has to be wired to tell you ' yes I can ' whenever the rest of you starts to say 'maybe I can't' !

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

I have recently taken some tentative steps into the world of BVs - something I would never have believed 2 or 3 years ago - so maybe anything is possible? Maybe I'll see Tinkerbell sometime soon. :)

I have just acquired my daughters old keyboard with half a thought to tinkling some ivories on some songs we do..I mean....how hard can it be? :blink:

It plugged quite neatly into my practice amp and I managed to get a half decent pub piano sound out of it........Hmmm left hand playing straight eights and right hand playing stabbed triplets........this may take a while.