Why become a member? ×

I played an EUB today (and I liked it)

muttley

You'll find that if you practice by reading you won't be watching those markers anyhow.

For gigs, i stick on a few little sticky dots. An absolute lifesaver when it's hard to hear myself (which is often). Also, it's totally liberating, cos instead of straining to hear all the time, you can relax and leap about knowing you can hit the mark.

I take them off between gigs to satisfy the little bit of purist that must live inside me somewhere. :) Frankly (puts tin hat on) I can't get why they don't have side markers as standard.

Edited by fatback

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1373276082' post='2135457']
I have no real objection to the dots on appearance grounds but I'd rather learn without them. I assume the Stagg has side markers though?

I've read through your thread, SRP, and that and the one on TB will give me plenty of modding ideas.
[/quote]

I dont mind the side ones on the Stagg so much but the little ones all over the front on some of the NX basses confuse the hell out of me!
All easy mods except the strings being 4/4 length so dont but 3/4 ones unless you want the hassle of drilling the bridge out etc, right pain.

My Stagg is brilliant now with its Spiros and the mods done, no hiss, nice tone, easy to play, portable and the audience really like it, they are also totally amazed at it only costing £300 after quite a few folk have asked me after gigs :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1373274514' post='2135434']
I find the dots confusing, too many of them! Gorgeous things to look at though.
[/quote]

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/andyonbass/media/pan7_zpsd27ca6b7.jpg.html"][/url]

;)

Haven't read all of the thread- yet! Glad the op likes the d b .;) I only tried one once. That was about 1994. I was seeing a teacher. I only tried it briefly, but felt overwhelmed/ nervous etc. tried fretless instead, which I adapted to. (Tho' never gigged with one). May try one again one day.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1373563843' post='2139136']
Better start saving for an acoustic double bass now then, it's an inevitable and slippery path :D
[/quote]

I know, I know....

Two years ago I picked up the bass (guitar) again after a break of over 20 years. Wanting to do it "properly" this time I bought myself a fretless bass, found a teacher and have learned some proper technique and to read music. When I started he told me he would teach me db fingering etc "just in case". I told him empathetically that I had no desire to play db. I guess he's won :o.

It's here :gas: . Just had a quick plonk - first impressions very good :) . Has a couple of minor issues but these are covered in the various threads. Need to learn how to bow now. Well, need to buy a bow and then learn how to use it (I play violin but that doesn't count).

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1373561586' post='2139106']
Colour?
[/quote]

Dark brown. I'm no fan of sunburst finishes and black was too, er, black. Looks ver sexy.

Just to prove you need a DB, we did an acoustic jam night last night, a couple of guitarist/singers went on first, then our band, I got a cheer from the crowd when I carried my DB in and we went down a storm, the venue booked us today for a proper gig.
Moral of the story, folks love a doublebass :D .
Enjoy the Stagg, I had to choose between a Stagg or Harley Benton and only went with the HB as it has a taller bridge and chambered body so I assumed I could get a more DBlike sound from it but in reality I don't think there's much to choose between them, just down to personal preference in the end, both great instruments for the money.