Why become a member? ×

I played an EUB today (and I liked it)

muttley

Just stay put - you're in the right forum. Read the threads about getting a new EUB by those of us who trod the same ground before you. Then either have a look at this site's Marketplace - whatever its current shape - or log on to Thomann. :D :gas:
You're on a wonderful journey and already there's no turning back. And you will fall deeply in love. (Take my word..) :rolleyes: :sun_bespectacled:

Edited by bluejay

I have gone from curios idea to here in a week!
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194276-just-ordered-my-first-eub-total-noob-what-have-i-done/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194276-just-ordered-my-first-eub-total-noob-what-have-i-done/[/url]

Thomanns delivered super fast but you could get overnight from PMT if you are really desperate to have it before christmas, they list it as an eastwood but its the same, even has Stagg on the headstock. Unless you are thinking full on Aria or NS design etc? The mods done to my Stagg this morning have already made it go from a £350 model to a £500 IMO and took no time at all :) I believe the Stagg is a rip off of the Aria too so you may well like it.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356024682' post='1905970']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194276-just-ordered-my-first-eub-total-noob-what-have-i-done/"]http://basschat.co.u...at-have-i-done/[/url]

Thomanns delivered super fast but you could get overnight from PMT if you are really desperate to have it before christmas, they list it as an eastwood but its the same, even has Stagg on the headstock. Unless you are thinking full on Aria or NS design etc? The mods done to my Stagg this morning have already made it go from a £350 model to a £500 IMO and took no time at all I believe the Stagg is a rip off of the Aria too so you may well like it.
[/quote]

I saw an Eastwood (Eastcoast?) in PMT Birmingham the other week, it looked nowhere near as well put together as my old Stagg (the E string wasn't even in the bridge slot, and didn't look like it would stay there if it was)

I bought mine from Normans of Burton on Trent who are selling them for £299 at the minute.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356024682' post='1905970']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194276-just-ordered-my-first-eub-total-noob-what-have-i-done/"]http://basschat.co.u...at-have-i-done/[/url]

Thomanns delivered super fast but you could get overnight from PMT if you are really desperate to have it before christmas, they list it as an eastwood but its the same, even has Stagg on the headstock. Unless you are thinking full on Aria or NS design etc? The mods done to my Stagg this morning have already made it go from a £350 model to a £500 IMO and took no time at all :) I believe the Stagg is a rip off of the Aria too so you may well like it.
[/quote]

I've just read your thread. Good luck with your new EUB :).

One of the LMSs has what I think is a Stagg EUB (I noticed it in there yesterday while buying a stocking filler. This prompted me to have the try-out at my lesson). I may have to go and give it a test run :gas: .

I have also seen a Rocket bass the same too :lol:

Dont worry about the minor niggles like the rattle from the adjustable leg or the high action, they are easy fixes if you follow the instructions in the link from my thread. I am also doing the extra shielding when my copper foil arrives. Strings and nut are not too bad on mine either :)

Yep just a piezo but how much is an Aria? For me the Stagg is purely a stepping stone to something else probably a Yamaha silent bass (stunning IMO) and it does it well from what I can tell and the advice I have been given, my criteria was "If I learn to play the Stagg will I be able to play a real upright in a reasonbly convincing fashion?" the answer from 99% was yes, If you are already certain of sticking with it I am sure there are better EUBs but not for the money. Out of the box I would say the Harley Benton sounds better but after the few little mods needed I prefer the Stagg and the Stagg is more portable if thats an issue?

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1356084358' post='1906524']
A quick Q: I assume the Stagg just has a piezo pickup in the bridge? The Aria I had a go on had both magnetic and piezo pickups, the mag one sounding much better.
[/quote]

Stagg is piezo only, yes.

I also have an Aria and personally I much prefer the piezo, so much that I'll probably remove the mag.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_slb200_silentbass.htm?gclid=CNWY0_anq7QCFefMtAodDncAGg"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_slb200_silentbass.htm?gclid=CNWY0_anq7QCFefMtAodDncAGg[/url]

The stagg is basically a rip off of this, and for the cost they have done well! I prefer the more traditional bridge setup like this using a piezo rather than the NS design being more like a fretless bass on end IMO, I like that big open area like a real Db between the bridge and finger board :)

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1356086356' post='1906556']
Stagg is piezo only, yes.

I also have an Aria and personally I much prefer the piezo, so much that I'll probably remove the mag.
[/quote]
Well there you go :lol:

I think the mag on the Aria spools the look so I would take it off If I did not use it too, do you think the Aria is worth upgrading to from the Stagg or would you go up to something like a used Yamaha instead?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356086707' post='1906562']
Well there you go :lol:

I think the mag on the Aria spools the look so I would take it off If I did not use it too, do you think the Aria is worth upgrading to from the Stagg or would you go up to something like a used Yamaha instead?
[/quote]

Yeah, it really looks like an afterthought doesn't it.

I love the Aria, been recording it this past week and there's times it really sounds like a DB. A badly played DB mind...it's definitely a better instrument than I am a player.

The Stagg has its own sound that is neither DB nor fretless, got lots of comments when I played it live about how 'big' it sounds.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1356087194' post='1906578']
The Stagg has its own sound that is neither DB nor fretless, got lots of comments when I played it live about how 'big' it sounds.
[/quote]
Yes thats one of the things I love about the Stagg. It sounds differant & it's a fantastic peice of kit just to play & experiment with. I was shocked the first time I put it through an amp of how big the noise is

• 6 months later...

Update:
After considerable procrastination I've decided to get myself a Stagg EUB :gas:. The Aria one I played is an older model and no longer available it seems and I've not seen any for sale anywhere. The NS Design basses are nice but a.) considerably more expensive and b.) have dots on the fingerboard which I don't like.

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1373269513' post='2135368']
Update:
The NS Design basses are nice but a.) considerably more expensive and b.) have dots on the fingerboard which I don't like.
[/quote]

The dots are under the strings so that only you can see them sideways on - the audience doesn't see them! Although a lot more expensive the NS designs are fully supported on a stand and have an excellent almost DB sound. When you are starting out the dots can be invaluable as a way of figuring out where you are on the fingerboard as navigation on the instrument is a study in its own right once you get out of the first couple of low positions .

Anyways the Stagg is a great and popular instrument too and good luck with it - like Sylvia says, you will fall in love !

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1373274514' post='2135434']
I find the dots confusing, too many of them! Gorgeous things to look at though.
[/quote]

I have no real objection to the dots on appearance grounds but I'd rather learn without them. I assume the Stagg has side markers though?

I've read through your thread, SRP, and that and the one on TB will give me plenty of modding ideas.

...a very short quick micro dab of tipex works a treat ( its surprising how small a speck the eye can pick up ) ...also good to invest in 2b soft pencil to mark key note positions on the fingerboard with a faint shiny line that only you can see ( any harder a pencil and you might scratch / scribe the fingerboard !). ;)