Why become a member? ×

warwick corvette double buck

jerseytrev

[quote name='jerseytrev' post='199104' date='May 14 2008, 10:03 PM']hi all anyone any experience with this model . opinions good or bad welcome .does it stand out or flop ?[/quote]

They're very good. Extremely versatile with coil tapping and active/passive options. I find mine very comfortable to play, but you do need to try out the Warwick necks. Some people love them, others can't get on with them at all.

The necks are a different feel to standard basses but I like it. The tones are very versatile on a double buck and it feels heavier than other Warwicks Ive tried--Ive a five string and I find the spacing very comfortable.

i think they're great. definatly try one out if your not sure - you'll be blown away. definatly try one out anyway, the necks are very different to things like fenders (you know the standard stuff), you might not like it.

I've owned one, which was modded with Bartolinis as opposed to the standard MEC humbuckers.

Unfortunatley for me my experience with the bass wasn't the best, after the initial reaction of it being my first Warwick I soon found that it didn't have that trademark Warwick Growl which was what I was hoping for, I also couldn't get on with the pick up placement, I play prodominantly on the bridge pick up and on the $$ the bridge P'up is actually a considerable distance away from the bridge as opposed to my Thumb, which is also essential to the tone. I changed the action many times but couldn't get it anywhere near comfortable. And in the end I just found the all the tones available were pretty bland and really didn't stand out well in a mix and I was left puzzled to why they are seen as such an amazing bass.

But hey thats just me, I might of just been expecting too much, for what it's worth it was a solid and well built bass and even though had seen some rough gigging it still did it's job...though in retrospect I'd most definetly like to try it again through my new rig and also my technique is more focused as opposed to when I had the $$.

Its 10 years since my last Warwick but I've just bought a $$ from the Bass Centre (they even sent me 2 $$ basses by mistake!) and I must say its like coming home,the sound and feel of it is just great there are a lot of great sounds in them two pickups but like anything try before you buy.

[quote name='Josh' date='May 15 2008, 06:37 PM' post='199811'

Unfortunatley for me my experience with the bass wasn't the best, after the initial reaction of it being my first Warwick I soon found that it didn't have that trademark Warwick Growl which was what I was hoping for, I also couldn't get on with the pick up placement, I play prodominantly on the bridge pick up and on the $$ the bridge P'up is actually a considerable distance away from the bridge as opposed to my Thumb, which is also essential to the tone. I changed the action many times but couldn't get it anywhere near comfortable. And in the end I just found the all the tones available were pretty bland and really didn't stand out well in a mix and I was left puzzled to why they are seen as such an amazing bass.

[/quote]

+1
i didn't like mine at all,in fact i would have been better buying a corvette std.

[quote name='artisan' post='200894' date='May 17 2008, 09:37 AM'][quote name='Josh' date='May 15 2008, 06:37 PM' post='199811'

+1
i didn't like mine at all,in fact i would have been better buying a corvette std.[/quote]

I guess it goes to show that you need to try a bass out to check it suits your style of playing, music, band and the rest of your set up.

Coincidentally, due to my POD failing on me, I ended up playing my $$ straight into my amp at our gig last night - no pedals, effects or compression. The nicest live sound I've had in ages!

I tried a Corvette out. It was a typically quality Warwick instrument - felt very solid to play and had a potent sound - though didn't really blow me away. I think it was going for about £800ish, which is pretty good value for the calibre of the bass.

On a very pedantic note, it really didn't stand up to the older Warwicks of that price range - someone else mentioned it lacking the 'growl' which I kind of agree with.

[quote name='simon1964' post='200976' date='May 17 2008, 12:09 PM']Coincidentally, due to my POD failing on me, I ended up playing my $$ straight into my amp at our gig last night - no pedals, effects or compression. The nicest live sound I've had in ages![/quote]

see theres a lesson to be learnt here....