Why become a member? ×

DI from bass amp

Jag_Bassist

My ashdown (albeit a poor d.i) has a post/pre eq button next to the d.i so therefor including or excluding the eq settings that can effect the d.i volume.

Also on my amp the "output" volume knob does not affect the d.i volume whereas the "input" or gain knob would affect the d.i volume as it is receiving more bass and pissing off your sound engineer haha

If you really want to know how this affects the sound, you should try and run it through the desk and experiment ... but most decent amps with have pre and post DI and should also have a level as well.

The percieved wisdom is to send pre-EQ to the desk and let the sound guy go from there...but that depends on the relationship you have with the Engr.
Defore making that decision mysefl, I'll check out the desk and P.A spec.

In general, if going pre-eq, the level I`m fairly sure is unaffected by volume/eq tweaking, whereas post eq it definitely is affected. This is probably why sound-men prefer pre-eq - they have enough on their hands adjusting the guitars once they`ve been turned up way louder than the soundcheck volume, than to have to do it with the bass as well.

[quote name='Jag_Bassist' timestamp='1355748603' post='1902070']
ive just had a look and it does have a pre / post switch. so will it need to be in post, then i can alter the master volume without it effecting the sounding at front of house?
[/quote]

Post and Pre usually means the EQ.
If you want any EQ changes you make to affect the FOH sound, post is what you want
Pre if not.

I can't check the manual for your amp, website is blocked at work :o

[quote name='Jag_Bassist' timestamp='1355748603' post='1902070']
ive just had a look and it does have a pre / post switch. so will it need to be in post, then i can alter the master volume without it effecting the sounding at front of house?
[/quote]

I have a TC amp and all my gigs are DI these days.
The master volume will not affect the DI signal. If you turn up too much you may ruin the FOH sound. Particularly in smaller venues.
I'd ask for more bass through my monitor if I neede to hear more of myself during the gig.