Why become a member? ×

repairing a luthite body - anyone done this or have any tips?

alyctes

[quote name='Pete1967' timestamp='1355407540' post='1898004']
No direct experience, but if it's a clean, clampable break then I'd be tempted to give it a shot with the polyurethane Gorilla Glue [url="http://uk.gorillaglu...rilla-glue.html"]http://uk.gorillaglu...rilla-glue.html[/url] [/quote]
I disagree. Gorilla glue is water-activated and tends to expand. This will make a mess of the guitar.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1355404783' post='1897925']A decent 2 part epoxy like Araldite should fix it, if it's a clean break the paint line may not be too bad![/quote]
Being that the body is a synthetic instead of a wood product, I'm inclined to agree in this instance that epoxy would be more similar to the luthite. I wouldn't bother with quick-set epoxy, just a good general grade of overnight 2 part, and make sure the seams are clean before leaving it clamped up to dry.

Thanks to all for contributions so far :)

A swift online search suggests that cyanoacrylate (Superglue) is the way to go. But I'd guess that epoxy will be at least as good; the tricky bit will be clamping it so it's correctly placed and stable.

I'd forgotten this: there are also cracks in the neck pocket. It's possible that the whole thing will have to be written off.

All the glue ideas are really good, but if you can also "pin it" that would be better - What I mean here is drill into the body and the horn, then push a pin in to the body and the other half pushes into the horn so you have a pin helping to stop it breaking off again.

In order to get it to sit propperly you may need to drill an-oversized hole and use a filler to take up the space round the pin - maybe loads of superglue?

After fixing, if I were you, I would then strip the body down and get a good re-spray... but I guess it all depends on the value of the bass and the cost.

Err... just seen, you say cracks in the neck pocket?
Write it off - strip the parts (you never know...) and get a new bass. You can pick up some good deals right now.

Edited by Grangur