Why become a member? ×

Willie Weeks with Donny Hathaway

bubinga5

i was just listening to this tune with a drummer friend of mine... he has no idea who donny hathaway is or willie weeks is.... but he stopped me and asked me who the bass player was.. of course i said it was willie weeks on donny hathaways classic.. he was amazed by the bass line, as ive always been... anyways, its a phenominal bass line... imo.. one of the best ive ever heard....

too be honest donny's voice is the best voice ive ever heard.. pure gospel power and control...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLUh70zp0LE

Quite simply one of the best live albums of all time , and some sublime bass playing throughout . It's nice to see Donny Hathaway getting some of the recognition he deserves as an artist at last ; his profile was diminished somewhat in the years after his sad demise but seems to have been revived in recent times .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1354977013' post='1892535']
It's my favourite Donnie Hathaway track! I heard a while back that it's largely overdubbed, but what a bass line.
[/quote]

I don't know about that,but the album is recorded over a couple of nights,and there appears to
be a splice towards the end.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1354979603' post='1892575']
I don't know about that,but the album is recorded over a couple of nights,and there appears to
[/quote]

Yeah, the solo on Everything is Everything is spliced from another show. Crazy...he must have nailing that solo eveynight.

Am i not right is saying that the album was recorded over a couple of shows but "That Solo" was from "One" of the two nights.
I'd hate it to be so but I think there is some confusion over it......maybe mine.
That aside, it's my No1 favourite album and Donny Hathaway gets a joint No1 male vocalist for me along with Frankie Beverley.
B)

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1354979603' post='1892575']
[/quote]

Like I say, only rumours I've heard and nothing substantiated. It wouldn't matter either way to me as it is a triumph of bass playing.