Why become a member? ×

Pick Boy Felt Picks

iBudd

Now then, I only have experience with the ones I made. The thickness of the pick makes a huge difference to the amount the sound is muffled. My 3mm one sounds like playing with a wet thumb, but my orange Dunlop is relatively bright but still a very smooth sound, like the one you get in your clip Discreet.

Of the picks that you have bought, can you see the edge of the pick between the pieces of felt, even at the tips? Like it was two pieces of felt just stuck onto the pick, one each side? Or maybe they're made in bulk by covering a sheet of the pick material with felt on each side and punching out the picks?

The biggest difference I found was when I folded the felt over the tip so that no pick was exposed at that point. It sounds a bit like the felt that has been used isn't very dense, though obviously I can't tell for sure. I didn't use the red felt that we have because it was the least dense. They seemed to go less dense to densest by colour Red, Purple, Green and White. I don't know if that's a standard thing or not, they were all from the same pack. I didn't use the white because I thought it would get very grubby very quickly, so I went for the green. For the first few days of playing I found the tip getting a bit stringy, but it wasn't scattering or anything like that. I just chopped it back with some small scissors, it doesn't happen now, and I use it most days, and the tip is still covered with felt.

If anything I have said helps to explain any problems you might have, you might not want to totally give up on felt picks in the future, I love mine, the ones I got right. You might even try making your own using the advice I gave in an earlier post.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1356300900' post='1909055']
...can you see the edge of the pick between the pieces of felt, even at the tips?
Like it was two pieces of felt just stuck onto the pick, one each side?[/quote]

Yes, exactly this. Why don't you send me one of yours on approval? You make 'em, I'll promote 'em. Let's get rich! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1356265318' post='1908494']
Instead of trying to describe the sound, I humbly post this... I'm a bit too hungover for it today, but what the hell... I have to say that after recording this bass line (one take) there was felt fluff all over the shop and the plastic 'filling' of the felt pick sandwich was exposed already. Nice sound, but I can get it by various other means anyway... so there it is. :)

But hey, we needed to know, didn't we? Many thanks and big props to Gareth for sorting all this out, I know what a PITA it can be.

This is my Custom P (SD SPB-1), Tech-21 VT Bass (SVT), DC-9 Comp, Joe Osborn Signature Flats and the Pickboy:

[url="https://soundcloud.com/mark-68-2/black-stone-cherry-blind-man"]https://soundcloud.c...herry-blind-man[/url]
[color=#FFFFFF].[/color]
[/quote]
Is that drop C tuning ?

Well...I've used 'em for 2 gigs now. I play a mixture of fingers & pick, depending on what toonz I'm playing - with the current band, that amounts to about a half dozen with a pick, per gig.

My initial thought when I got hold of these was that the plastic in the middle is pretty thin - much thinner than the picks I normally use - and I found them a bit too bendy for my liking, and that, combined with the extra thickness of the felt, made it all feel a bit strange and "hit 'n' miss" for me.

As others have noted, the felt started wearing away very quickly for me (steel round strings...), and after a very short time was worn away to the extent that I was effectively playing with a normal pick. Then, towards the end of the second gig, the tip broke off.

I'm glad to have had the chance to try them, and hats off to Gareth for doing the legwork allowing me to do so, but I'll be sticking with my usual (big & stiff) plastic ones.

I have quite liked them so far, but only in a recording/solo headphones situation, and I can't see them being of any use live situation as their subtle nature would be lost in a band context.

It's been an interesting experiment, but I won't be rushing out for more.

Oh, and it was my pleasure to help everyone out.

Cheers

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Now the felt has worn off all three points of the pick, it actually makes a very good 'normal' pick (I normally use Herco Gold Flex 50) - and the remaining felt and the bigger size allows for really good grip with sweaty fingers, so I'm still using mine after all! Sounds great! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up some leather picks from

http://www.ukulele-plectrums.co.uk/leather-plectrum-bass-guitar-large-stiff-lilac-designer-x-10-p-162.html?zenid=e8lqt8cuu1ku3mid93i45ohc53

and they are everything I hoped the felt ones would be - lush! Pretty thick, as in 3 or 4mm, but all the directness of pick without the clank. Sometimes clank is good, sometimes it is nice to not have it.