Why become a member? ×

Are Stingrays the new Warwicks, price wise?

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1355680778' post='1901313']
[sub]It's not so bad when it reads 'Stingray' on the headstock, but when you have 'Sterling' no one knows it's a pucka EBMM.[/sub]
[/quote]

It's crazy having a high end model and a whole budget range with the same name.

A large percentage of how a bass sounds is down to the user - Stingrays are capable of extremely smooth and subtle delivery, as evidenced by the multitude of professional users over the years. The fact the bass can produce an iconic and very aggressive sound produced by the likes of Flea and Tim Commerford tends to overshadow its ability to produce a very smooth bass sound.

As for the neck query, I have 5 of these basses - and don't have the problem - they are all gigged and they barely go out of tune from oneto the next. Yes if you have v low action you may need to tweak the truss rod at the start of summer and winter but that is because the materials used cannot defy the laws of physics - however thanks to EBMM, the truss rod adjuster is about the easiest and most effective on the market.

The size of frets may also have a bearing on the ability to get very very low action - no matter what reinforcement is used, I don't see how manufacturers can produce necks made from wood which defy the laws of physics - basically if your bass is exposed to temperature range of 40 - 50 degrees C, and humidity ranging from 10 to 90% (all of which occurs over a year in this country), wood will react at the extremes - and your action may need adjusting (especially if it's already perilously low).

I'm not fussed about my Stingray 5 natural finish being available as an SBMM Ray 35 - indeed someone once asked me whether mine was a Ray 35 - I said no and pointed to the headstock - the guy thought my bass looked and sounded great anyway! It's no different from people with Fender instruments - last night I was at a jam session and a guy turned up with a Telecaster thinline in natural, with a worn maple neck and TV logos. I was talking to the guy next to me who's something of a Fender buff and he said to me that's not original because the tuners are Kluson and thus predate the model. He went and asked the guy who confirmed it was a Japanese re-issue about 10 yrs old - but who cares, really??? It looked very pretty indeed. The guy who has an original will no doubt think he's got the best guitar in the world (for him) as does the guy with the Jap re-issue - there are other compromises, eg pick ups, in the re-issue, which sets the real thing apart also.

Edited by drTStingray