Why become a member? ×

Alreeeet from Bolton

The Hat

Hello everyone. Am new to all this and have only been learning guitar for about 2 months so am very much a beginner, and as for bass I've not even touched one yet !
I really love 70's funk and jazz funk and am always drawn to the bass line . I hear bass players go on about getting into the groove and I sure wanna get into this ilusive groove so any pointers or advice in helping me to break my bass cherry would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

ALREEEET!? from norn iron!

You won't regret learning Bass. Guitar is great in it's own way, but bass is just as complex, and just as intricate.

Funk is great for groove. a lot of bassists here are all about the groove, including me. In simplest terms, a funk groove would place the accented notes on the bass kicks of the drums. And funk normally means you play the accented note on the first beat of the bar. I'm sure as a beginner, that is A LOT to get your head around, so here is a video, by none other than bootsy collins, the master of funk really, so you can hear it rather than read it :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHE6hZU72A4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHE6hZU72A4[/url]

Just count out the beats when he isn't, you will see what i mean :) also, plenty of advice on here, plenty of other stuff too. Good luck!

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1354614923' post='1887966']
Thanks for the advice. Can I learn both together or am I best concentrating on one ?
Found that Bootys video a few days ago, he da man !
[/quote]

Both, one, it really makes no difference. So long as you are finding time to practice both for a decent amount each week. I started off just on bass, but i'm learning guitar and still doing bass lessons it hasn't really hindered my bass lessons, although the familiarity of a stringed instrument really helped the switch from bass to guitar. In a year or 2, you will be playing to a good standard on both.

Hey Paul,

Welcome into the fold! As others have said, there's a wealth of info on this site, and a lot of [b]unfo[/b] in [i]my[/i] posts. ;)

Sounds like you're enthusiastic enough to master both, but just make sure that you practise each and every day rather than for hours and hours once in a while.
Fifteen minutes per instrument will get you somewhere, but I'd prefer half an hour.
Don't teach yourself bad technique. Evening out bad technique takes a lot more time than learning it well right away. Rather invest in getting lessons - even if just for half a year - so you get a good start.

Anyway, enjoy the site!

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1354633874' post='1888428']
Hey Paul,

Welcome into the fold! As others have said, there's a wealth of info on this site, and a lot of [b]unfo[/b] in [i]my[/i] posts. ;)

Sounds like you're enthusiastic enough to master both, but just make sure that you practise each and every day rather than for hours and hours once in a while.
Fifteen minutes per instrument will get you somewhere, but I'd prefer half an hour.
Don't teach yourself bad technique. Evening out bad technique takes a lot more time than learning it well right away. Rather invest in getting lessons - even if just for half a year - so you get a good start.

Anyway, enjoy the site!

best,
bert
[/quote]

Yeah, don't fall into the pit of bad technique, but don't let anybody tell you that you have to have your bass on your chest to play it. play where it feels natural. Also, look up hand a joint warm up exercises. The sooner you learn those, the better, because as a musician, you put yourself at a higher risk of getting things like repetitive strain injury, or carpel tunnel syndrome, but with the correct warm ups, you can prevent those, and also increase your playing ability.

• 2 weeks later...