Why become a member? ×

Any Fender Strat experts in the house?

Big_Stu

A collectors (Junk?) shop near me has the nicest Strat I ever saw in it's window; and I'm not that big on Strats as they're so common but not this one! The rest of the stock is a few copy electrics, 2 x cheap acoustics, old vinyl records & Star Wars figures, furniture etc.

The Strat looks like a Birdseye maple body, not much figuring to it though, just the burrs. All of the metal parts are gold plated - apart from the saddle screws. Even the pickup poles are gold. The pickups are white cased & have a name on them in a gold script which I can't make out.
It's a really nice machine, I did wonder if it was a Fender neck on a custom body, the logo looks legit, has "Stratocaster" in small capitals just under the logo, so I'm guessing it's a recent one and the "Contour Body" text at the end of the front headstock. Looks in mint cond from what I could see, no trem arm though.

Just seemed a strange shop to have such a nice guitar in & I wondered if it was maybe a custom shop job (haven't seen the back of it) or a high level production model??

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1354057078' post='1881629']
Need to see pics, lots of them. You may be lucky in one of two ways: a bargain genuine USA, or a bargain well made 'clone'. Then again you could be unlucky :( [/quote]

If I do they'll be crappy ones off my phone. It did have "Made in USA" on the logo. Only clue I could turn up, knowing practically jack about Fender changes over the years, is that it's possibly an early 80's "Dan Smith model"???

I have, that's what made me find the Dan Smith reference, but nothing like the body that one has.
I'm not in the market for any more guitars, but damn - it was so nice looking I wanted to know if it was mega-rare or something.

A thought's just occurred to me, should have thought before. it's maybe a Warmoth body with aftermarket parts on a Fender neck?

Edited by Big_Stu

My Chandler (Richmond) strat has a warmoth body made from SOLID flamed maple. Sounds really good too...they certainly don't make them like that any more. If it has Fender on the headstock it could be a transfer or it could be legit. The neck pocket might reveal more info.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1354079791' post='1881786']
My Chandler (Richmond) strat has a warmoth body made from SOLID flamed maple.[/quote]

Yeah, I had a look at the Warmoth site, some very nice pieces - and priced accordingly - though fairly too. I'd be surprised if he shifts it quick so I'll go in for a better look some time & see what he knows about it.
If the logo is a fake it's the best one I've ever seen, either in life or on BC/other sites.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1354133543' post='1882606']
How much are they asking? Is it worth taking a punt, knowing you can part it out and flog the bits without losing if it's an iffy copy with nice parts?
[/quote]

Agree, above is the key question.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1354133543' post='1882606']
How much are they asking? Is it worth taking a punt, knowing you can part it out and flog the bits without losing if it's an iffy copy with nice parts?
[/quote]

It was only just in so no price was set; I did hear the shop girl saying someone on the phone wanted pics of it sending.
I'll try to take some phone pics next time I'm passing - if it's still there*.
Assuming it was that Strat, they had two others, a bright red Crafter copy - and an Encore that possibly had an illegible autograph in silver marker on it - or a bit of scribble.

* it wasn't; gone already & she didn't know how much for.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1354056609' post='1881615']
....the logo looks legit, has "Stratocaster" in small capitals just under the logo, so I'm guessing it's a recent one and the "Contour Body" text at the end of the front headstock.
[/quote]
I fancy meself as a bit of a Strat nut.... and I've never seen one with the word 'Stratocaster' [i]under[/i] the logo.

I'm not saying that's the law, mind.... just that I've never seen it meself.

Only ever seen pre 68 P basses and early Telecaster basses with the model name under the logo, and Tele and Esquire six string guitars with the model name under the logo but offset to the right.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='A string bounce' timestamp='1355700363' post='1901685']
What Star Wars figures did they have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
[/quote]

I've never seen Star Wars :secret: so haven't a clue; he laboured the point that many were still in their packets. Though they did have an Airfix Hercules with Bloodhound missile & Land Rover.
I was going to tell him "I had one of those when ......." but apparently that phrase is banned in there. :lol: