Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

dont like the 'new classifieds' - everything lumped together..nah!

Shonks

[quote name='XB26354' timestamp='1354530254' post='1886925']
But how many users does a site really need? I can think of hundreds of people that post here regularly, and probably up to a couple of thousand people whose names I at least vaguely recognise. I feel that there are already plenty of people on here and enough turnover of users to prevent stagnation. How much real value is there to either us or BC if someone joins, posts a for sale ad a very high price and then vanishes, never to be seen again?
[/quote]

It's vital! If part of your revenue stream is from clickable banners, you need to make sure as many people see them as possible.

Also, if someone signs up, posts and ad and then disappears, they've still contributed relevant content to the community which someone might find useful. Your aversion to these people, and having to PM them to find out where they're based, is a bit odd, IMO.

Basschat still has to draw people in to keep our tide-pool vibrant. Some of them will be one-post wonders, Others will stick around and join in. You have to keep them coming, though - throw enough, and some will stick.

Anyway - it sounds like I'm sniping from the back, and offering no suggestions. I'm not, honest.

For the record, I'm in favour of a contributing member system like TB and the FDP use. It seems to work well for them.

Well all I'm going to say is that if it doesn't work, when it's finished, we'll modify it or lose it.

Nothing ventured... If people decide to go elsewhere then that's up to them, but I can't think of a better place to sell a bass, regardless of the selling format.

We'll see. Even I have yet to be convinced, so we're all on the same page.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1354531171' post='1886939']
I can't think of a better place to sell a bass, regardless of the selling format.
[/quote]

I agree with you - we know it's true based on experience.

But...would a new user? Seeing the classifieds off in another room, with no chat going on? IMO... probably not.

With a bit of luck I'll be wrong. :-)

Would it be possible to have a two tier fee system? A small fee to place an ad or a larger, annual sub fee which would then allow folks to post as many ads as possible? It wouldn't scare off new members. Throw in mandatory fields for location and price and you have the income and improvements that seem to be needed.

The MAIN reason we wanted to try this is because of the thumbnails which will make browsing through much nicer (IMO). For that, this plugin was the easiest and cleanest way of doing it. To have thumbnails on the normal forum isn't possible.

If it doesn't work, we'll go back to a normal forum. Just let us give it a shot and we'll go from there.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1353665954' post='1877080']
I think the move to 'classifieds' style selling makes sales seem a bit more private. I don't think this is a good thing at BC, because the kind of peer review of for sale threads that we've had in the past has always been a positive addition IMHO. I certainly feel a lot more comfortable buying from people who are discussing their item openly than I would through a classified ad - even though these are the same people they seem more anonymous through that kind of listing.

Just my opinion.
[/quote]

An opinion that I share too.

However I have to support ped et al. behind the trial, as they're just trying to add another aspect (thumbnails, sounds cool in principle!) to the "for sale" forum, and I think it's great to keep trying to improve the "BC experience". I personally would not choose thumbnails over the conversational format that the current "for sale" forum has... but at the same time, I don't want to knock something too hard without giving it a fair try. It would not be the first time I am reluctant to try something new and then I ended up loving it. I'm not convinced about this present case, at all... but it's too early to tell.

I'd have no issues paying some sort of annual amount to post stuff for sale.

I already do this on Talkbass and it works really well.

In fact, as someone who almost exclusively access the site via mobile, I have to say the Talkbass app works really well on many levels.

Automatically saves threads I'm taken part in, easy to use search function direct from forum area etc.

I'm definitely using it more and more these days :(

Edited by molan

I should also say that, after working in web design and digital marketing agencies for many years, there's a 'golden rule' that should always be used. . .

Never, ever, launch a new site or feature until it's been thoroughly bench tested by both tech people and a sample of users.

All that happens is that people either leave (and often never come back) or there's endless debate about why things aren't working properly. . .

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]charging discussions are all very well, but the the classifieds for me has screwed with the 'vibe' of basshchat. The old market place forum was[/font][/color][b] fun and interesting, informative and even educationa[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]l to a point.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I know I've said all this before but my visits to the site have diminished considerably.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]At least on Gumtree the location of the item is obvious and you have a wider audience.[/font][/color]
[b]Will you pay to sell here when its free on Gumtree?[/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've sold almost all my stuff on Gumtree and some of the buyers were Basschatters.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think the 'classifieds' are cold and impersonal and boring actually - sorry guys - but that's how I feel [/font][/color] :(