Why become a member? ×

Which Pro Tools ???

Elvis Valentine

Howdy folks,

i recently moved from mac back to pc and when i did i had to get rid of my Digi 002 because my laptop doesn't have a FW input. Very annoying but the laptop is considerably better than my old 2008 macbook.

Anyways i bought an Akai EIE Pro because it looks freakin' awesome. I know this is an absurd reason to buy anything other than maybe a painting or sculpture lol but it is a pretty sweet little unit as it turns out.

I was going to go back to cubase but after booting it up i just cant.lol. I am too used to pro tools now i cant go back.

So this leaves me a few options. I am a student so i could get the Academic version of Pro Tools 10 for around £200. Obviously this is a really good deal. But i have already paid £180 for the Akai so that is nearly £400 all in.

I could sell the Akai as its brand new really and maybe take a £50 hit on it and then buy, one of the M-Audio units that are bundeled with Pro Tools MP. From what i have read MP is an almost identical version to the normal Pro Tools with a few minor limitations. And obviously you are tied to the M-Audio hardware. The thing is you can buy these for around £140 that's for like a 2 channel audio/midi interface and Pro Tools MP.

I am not a pro so will never really come close to needing Pro Tools HD and probably never really even use all the features of normal Pro Tools.

I like the Akai a lot but to continue with it will cost me another £200 or so.

So in a nutshell, should i get Pro Tools Student Version or Jump ship to M-Audio Pro Tools MP?

Thanks for your time y'all.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1353071664' post='1871242']
thing is, i wouldnt be against paying for good software if they price it reasonably.

i use an old version of cubase, if i was to buy a new version it would cost me 700 quid, unless you are a pro studio you just can't afford that
[/quote]
Yeah i agree that they are a lot of money. But 200 bucks for the student edition is a good deal.
Also though because there are so many different versions of these things doesn't cubase do a lite version for considerably cheaper?

Thanks guys.

thing is, i wouldnt be against paying for good software if they price it reasonably.

i use an old version of cubase, if i was to buy a new version it would cost me 700 quid, unless you are a pro studio you just can't afford that
[/quote]

Then get a copy of Reaper.

$60 for the full featured software, with support for the next 2 large version numbers (so its on version 4.30 now, you would be supported up to but not including version 6.00).

Brilliant software, excellent price.

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='Elvis Valentine' timestamp='1353075075' post='1871317']
That was another possibility of course.
i used the trial version of Reaper and i liked it a lot but some of my friends were very vocal about me getting pro tools so we could share projects.
[/quote]

Get them to chip in then.

No, seriously though, PT academic edition is brilliant, I've not come across anything that I need that it's not been able to do. It's a bit sh*tty that PT now uses up a USB socket for the dongle, but at least you can use any interface you like. I used to borrow a mate's MOTU for 8 channel recording and then do all the editing and mixing etc... on an olad 2 channel MBox. Nice.

[/quote]

Cubase 6.5 you can get for just over £400.00
Cubase 6.5 Artist for about £230.00 [Plenty of features]
Nuendo of course is another matter.

Garry

I suppose it's about what your needs are.
For me I need a MIDI score/notation editor as well as extensive PRV editing.
Be able to move video clips any where on the time line [And work properly]
and VST3 MIDI expression plus some other MIDI stuff not in Reaper.
I have tried Reaper, and yep it's great, but does not do the above for my needs.

None of this is really helpful for the OP though. :lol:

Garry

Yeah granted its aimed more at audio than MIDI, it can do some video, but its not in any way aimed at that.

As an audio workstation with reasonable MIDI but no notation its a top performing bit of software and superb value. If you need notation, serious video stuff, or very serious MIDI then its not for you.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1353325657' post='1873565']
For any Reaper Fanboi's............... :)
Very nice looking skin here.
Enjoy.

[url="http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reaper/imperial/wt_imperial.html"]http://www.houseofwh...t_imperial.html[/url]

Garry
[/quote]

Now that is really pretty....

Dunnio if I'd use it, I dont care if it copies a desk look and feel really, I just want it to be efficient. But still, that is really nice. May give it a whirl, ta!