Why become a member? ×

Can you play a Stagg whilst seated??

Wooks

I am contemplating on entering the world of EUB. But I was wondering if it was possible to play the Stagg whilst seated in a "conventional" manner across your lap like a normal electric, or can you lower the leg so that it can be played whilst seated? The reason I ask is I've got a disability with my legs and I can't stand for too up long without feeling severe discomfort in my legs. :)
Can you play the Stagg with a bow too??
Another consideration I was looking at because of the scarcity of the ol' Stagg's was a Dean Pace EUB and I was wondering the same points about this model too, I.E. can it be played seated and with a bow??
Or does anybody know of an EUB around the similar price range that you can suggest that might fill my requirements? Thanks :huh:

[quote name='Wooks' post='196118' date='May 10 2008, 05:45 PM']I am contemplating on entering the world of EUB. But I was wondering if it was possible to play the Stagg whilst seated in a "conventional" manner across your lap like a normal electric, or can you lower the leg so that it can be played whilst seated? The reason I ask is I've got a disability with my legs and I can't stand for too up long without feeling severe discomfort in my legs. :huh:
Another consideration I was looking at because of the scarcity of the ol' Stagg's was a Dean Pace EUB and I was wondering the same points about this model too, I.E. can it be played seated and with a bow??
Or does anybody know of an EUB around the similar price range that you can suggest that might fill my requirements? Thanks :huh:[/quote]
Hi Wooks. I would say that whilst its not impossible to lay it over your lap, the sheer size,balance point ,neck dimensions along with the scale length (approx 44 inches) would prevent you doing much :) . You can however play it seated on a bar stool or kitchen stool with the bass upright. All you need to do is adjust the end pin to the height you need when sitting. I believe lots of DB players play sitting down. The Dean Pace has a tripod that again you should be able to adjust to the required height and Stagg apparently are R&D ing a similar stand. Give it a try. PS You should be able to bow a Stagg (I dont) but Jakesbass will be able to tell you better than I. I believe that the Pace is not bowable due to the lack of curvature on the fingerboard. Hope this helps.

[quote name='Wooks' post='196118' date='May 10 2008, 05:45 PM']I am contemplating on entering the world of EUB. But I was wondering if it was possible to play the Stagg whilst seated in a "conventional" manner across your lap like a normal electric, or can you lower the leg so that it can be played whilst seated? The reason I ask is I've got a disability with my legs and I can't stand for too up long without feeling severe discomfort in my legs. :)
Or does anybody know of an EUB around the similar price range that you can suggest that might fill my requirements? Thanks :huh:[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
I can play my Stagg in a seated position......Must admit though its not much fun!......My Staggs a Basscase! :huh: :huh: :huh:

[quote name='jakesbass' post='196146' date='May 10 2008, 06:16 PM']Hi Wooks,
I had fellow BC'er Rainbass round here for a lesson last Saturday and we were able to find a very comfortable seated position for him with a Stagg.
I would suggest sending him a PM (he'll be happy to help) to speak directly about how it was for him.
Jake[/quote]

Hi Wooks

yes, I tend to play my Stagg EUB sitting on a stool, mainly because I find it easier to keep it stable that way - standing up with it, I find it has a tendency to twist around. I put the metal support (left hand as you look from the front at the bass) in and rest that near the top of the thigh, have the pin only slightly out, and sit on a average height stool. Don't know the Dean Pace well enough to know if that would be the same - I tried one in a shop before I bought the Stagg bit that was on a tripod so I didn't see the end pin arrangement.

Not too sure how well it bows - maybe give it a try at my next lesosn with Jake. It does have a curved fingerboard, more so than the Dean (I think)

cheers
Dave

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it!! :) Anybody had any success with a bow and the Stagg? I had a DB lesson with my tutor and I loved it, but haven't got the room for the "real" thing so I thought an EDB would be a good substitute! And reading the success you guys have had with the Stagg it has wetted my appetite for them and I hope to get one, that's if I can find somebody that's got one in stock :wacko:

One of my students has a Stagg EUB, and it is possible to bow it. However, the curvature of the neck seems less than a normal double bass, so it seems a little trickier than normal to me.

For your requirements I'd suggest that the NS Design basses are more suitable, especially with the endpin stand, which is amazingly configurable. However, they are more expensive than the Stagg.

Jennifer

[url="http://www.jenniferclarkbass.com"]http://www.jenniferclarkbass.com[/url]

I used to own a Dean Pace which I enjoyed playing fingerstyle but it isn't designed to be bowed as others pointed. I currently have an NS Design CR5M. If your funds can stretch to an NS-Design Bass Cello. Don't let the word cello put you off - it is a bass. It has the same scale as a Bass guitar (like the Pace) but can be bowed and can be played upright on a stand or horizontally on a strap.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='196251' date='May 10 2008, 10:19 PM']I used to own a Dean Pace which I enjoyed playing fingerstyle but it isn't designed to be bowed as others pointed. I currently have an NS Design CR5M. If your funds can stretch to an NS-Design Bass Cello. Don't let the word cello put you off - it is a bass. It has the same scale as a Bass guitar (like the Pace) but can be bowed and can be played upright on a stand or horizontally on a strap.[/quote]
How much do the NS' go for roughly and any ideas where I might be able to get one? I'm located near to Portsmouth

[quote name='Wooks' post='196445' date='May 11 2008, 11:53 AM']How much do the NS' go for roughly and any ideas where I might be able to get one? I'm located near to Portsmouth[/quote]

The NS Wav 4 is around £750 and you can buy them from here,

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sw=NS+Wav+4"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sw=NS+Wav+4[/url]

You can also get them in the UK but they are harder to find and with Thomann, you get a 30 day return with no questions asked.

I also have a Stagg and having lessons with jakesbass and its the perfect instrument to enter the world of EUB. If you do get one, you have to get it in translucent red and join us reds. Its currently 4 to the reds and 1 to the blacks at the moment I think :) :huh:

[quote name='Maxcat' post='196139' date='May 10 2008, 06:13 PM']Hi Wooks. I would say that whilst its not impossible to lay it over your lap, the sheer size,balance point ,neck dimensions along with the scale length (approx 44 inches) would prevent you doing much :) . You can however play it seated on a bar stool or kitchen stool with the bass upright. All you need to do is adjust the end pin to the height you need when sitting. I believe lots of DB players play sitting down. The Dean Pace has a tripod that again you should be able to adjust to the required height and Stagg apparently are R&D ing a similar stand. Give it a try. PS You should be able to bow a Stagg (I dont) but Jakesbass will be able to tell you better than I. I believe that the Pace is not bowable due to the lack of curvature on the fingerboard. Hope this helps.[/quote]

How did you find out that Stagg are working on a tripod?? Any more info??

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='196251' date='May 10 2008, 10:19 PM']I used to own a Dean Pace which I enjoyed playing fingerstyle but it isn't designed to be bowed as others pointed. I currently have an NS Design CR5M. If your funds can stretch to an NS-Design Bass Cello. Don't let the word cello put you off - it is a bass. It has the same scale as a Bass guitar (like the Pace) but can be bowed and can be played upright on a stand or horizontally on a strap.[/quote]

Is the NS-Design Bass Cello tuned the same as a bass, E, A, D and G???

[quote name='Linus27' post='196477' date='May 11 2008, 12:27 PM']Is the NS-Design Bass Cello tuned the same as a bass, E, A, D and G???[/quote]
I'm not sure if there's a four string version, but the one I tried was a 5 string tuned as : B-E-A-D-G. I think the name doesn't help as it puts people off as they sometimes get it confused with the NS-Design cello which is a different instrument all together.

[quote name='Linus27' post='196476' date='May 11 2008, 12:26 PM']How did you find out that Stagg are working on a tripod?? Any more info??[/quote]
No info as yet Linus. I picked it up off Talk bass I think. Im quite happy with the end pin tho so probably wouldnt go for it anyway.

Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate your input!! I think I might have tracked an elusive Stagg down, been doing a bit of deer stalking :)
I'm not going to say where but the price is £349, (which I can't really afford at the moment!!), and I was wondering if this was a good price?? Oh and it's a violin burst one too!!!

[quote name='Wooks' post='197336' date='May 12 2008, 05:43 PM']Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate your input!! I think I might have tracked an elusive Stagg down, been doing a bit of deer stalking :)
I'm not going to say where but the price is £349, (which I can't really afford at the moment!!), and I was wondering if this was a good price?? Oh and it's a violin burst one too!!![/quote]

£349 I think is about £100 over priced. However. Supply is short so you may have to wait a little to get it for about £250

[url="http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5176"]http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5176[/url]

[url="http://www.normans.co.uk/Items/Item.aspx?SKU=edb-3/4mbk"]http://www.normans.co.uk/Items/Item.aspx?SKU=edb-3/4mbk[/url]

I think you can buy them at other places also.

[quote name='Linus27' post='197610' date='May 12 2008, 11:35 PM']£349 I think is about £100 over priced. However. Supply is short so you may have to wait a little to get it for about £250

[url="http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5176"]http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5176[/url]

[url="http://www.normans.co.uk/Items/Item.aspx?SKU=edb-3/4mbk"]http://www.normans.co.uk/Items/Item.aspx?SKU=edb-3/4mbk[/url]

I think you can buy them at other places also.[/quote]
I thought that, but my "source" has got one in stock whereas Zings and Normans haven't and when speaking to them they said they have them on order but there is no guarantee of getting one because the ones they are getting are on order, and they are unsure as to when they are getting a delivery :) Plus they had no idea as to when they are likely to get another delivery
There again I can't understand how Zings and Normans can do them for this cheap price because when I spoke to a local store he said that the Stagg list price was around £300 I think it was, and he couldn't do it cheaper than £369. He also said that Stagg where a bit ticked off with stores selling their products off so cheaply too!

[quote name='Wooks' post='197648' date='May 13 2008, 05:47 AM']I thought that, but my "source" has got one in stock whereas Zings and Normans haven't and when speaking to them they said they have them on order but there is no guarantee of getting one because the ones they are getting are on order, and they are unsure as to when they are getting a delivery :) Plus they had no idea as to when they are likely to get another delivery
There again I can't understand how Zings and Normans can do them for this cheap price because when I spoke to a local store he said that the Stagg list price was around £300 I think it was, and he couldn't do it cheaper than £369. He also said that Stagg where a bit ticked off with stores selling their products off so cheaply too![/quote]

I paid £330 for mine from a shop, I think, so it's not so far out - and you get to take it straight home!

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Rainbass' post='201159' date='May 17 2008, 05:34 PM']I paid £330 for mine from a shop, I think, so it's not so far out - and you get to take it straight home![/quote]

I tried one out yesterday in a music shop in Leicester, and yes you CAN play it seated. I thought it was spot on as a transition from a bass guitar to an upright. It was easier to play than I expected (I have big hands) but I will need lessons though, to make sure I don't get into any bad habits.

Anyway, the shop staff were very friendly and had ordered a trans red one in from Stagg especially for me to try out (no obligation). They offer a 0% finance scheme too. The downside is that the asking price was £405. Ouch! I'm thinking I'd be better off saving up and buying from an online store instead, though that way, could be weeks or months given the saving/ordering time.

I guess you pays your money and makes your choice. On the other hand, maybe some online retailers partake in this Government "Take It Away" 0% initiative and perhaps actually have one in stock...?

Hi Wooks,

Just like you, the discussions on the Stagg threads have done it for me and I've just ordered one from a small shop.(Honey finish if you're keeping check Linus:)). I decided to get it from a small shop and although it's £360, I can have it in a week, the shop will set it up for me and I feel like I'm supporting the good old music shop! (+ no delivery costs)
Anyway, my point was that I saw a guy playing an EUB the other day while he was perched on a double bass stick/seat. It reminded me of one of those hunting sticks that open out to form a little seat. He could adjust the height and he also gave the impression he was standing with the band but at the same time, he was able to take the pressure of his legs. Might be something to consider?
Cheers,
Jim

Hi Wooks,

Spookily enough I think I spoke to you when you rang Barry at Street Level in Southsea asking if he could get a Stagg EUB for you. So how are you?

Yes you can play the Stagg sitting down, I use a stool as this stops the bass from swiveling while playing as mentioned earlier. To overcome this I've made a stand using a base from a cymbal stand with the top from a guitar stand fitted into it. The "u" shaped neck support is the right width to hold the waist of the Stagg and so hold it up. It makes playing easier and means you can walk away from it when finished/taking a break without having to worry about finding a safe place to put the instrument.
There is also no problem with bowing the Stagg either, the neck and fingerboard are the same dimensions and shape as a conventional upright. It sounds good bowed as well :)

Due to problems with my wrist (see RSI thread) I'm considering selling my Stagg, so if you want to PM me we can discuss the nitty gritty or even getting together to see if the Stagg is indeed the instrument for you.

BTW I have heard there have been problems with the NS stands breaking, although this may just be the WAV version.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BigBadBassman' post='292159' date='Sep 25 2008, 08:26 PM']Hi Wooks,

Spookily enough I think I spoke to you when you rang Barry at Street Level in Southsea asking if he could get a Stagg EUB for you. So how are you?

Yes you can play the Stagg sitting down, I use a stool as this stops the bass from swiveling while playing as mentioned earlier. To overcome this I've made a stand using a base from a cymbal stand with the top from a guitar stand fitted into it. The "u" shaped neck support is the right width to hold the waist of the Stagg and so hold it up. It makes playing easier and means you can walk away from it when finished/taking a break without having to worry about finding a safe place to put the instrument.
There is also no problem with bowing the Stagg either, the neck and fingerboard are the same dimensions and shape as a conventional upright. It sounds good bowed as well :)

Due to problems with my wrist (see RSI thread) I'm considering selling my Stagg, so if you want to PM me we can discuss the nitty gritty or even getting together to see if the Stagg is indeed the instrument for you.

BTW I have heard there have been problems with the NS stands breaking, although this may just be the WAV version.

Tim[/quote]

iff you do end up selling the stagg, i would be interested!

[quote name='Pkomor' post='307412' date='Oct 15 2008, 09:47 PM']iff you do end up selling the stagg, i would be interested![/quote]

I haven't quite decided if I'm going to part with it yet but I'll bear you in mind.
I'm doing a bit of life laundry at the moment and getting rid of gear I haven't used in ages so you never know.
I'll ping you when I've made up my mind.

Tim