Why become a member? ×

recorded a demo CD please have a listen,comments welcome

artisan

yesterday the boys & i visited out local recording studio too make a demo CD just for fun but to help us get gigs also :D
we recorded 7 tracks 5 of which are originals & all were recorded with no second track or dubbs of any kind (how it used to be) everything including vocals in one go.
i know it's not pro' quality but thats not what we were after,we wanted a more "earthy" kind of vintage sound & i think we got it.
it's the first time i've heard my slap playing played back & am quite pleased with it as i only started playing DB this March,my click seems to come through nicely considering i don't have a clickey.
anyhow here's a couple of original tracks,have a listen (or maybe a laugh) & let me know what you think.

p.s. there's a link to my bands website in my sig' if you want to see how ugly we all are. :D
cheers.
[url="http://soundcloud.com/artisan1967"]http://soundcloud.com/artisan1967[/url]

Edited by artisan

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1352757467' post='1867175']
You've linked to the dashboard page rather than your public profile. It should be something like soundcloud.com/your-name.
[/quote]
thanks Mornats
ahem :blush: i've not used soundcloud before,can you tell :blush:
man do i feel silly :facepalm:

:edit-audio link now seems to work,thanks for the help guys

Edited by artisan

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1352828272' post='1868050']
Whole band are sounding good artisan.....

How long have you been playing ?? ..and have you had lessons or are you self taught ??
[/quote]

thanks Chris i appreciate your comments.
i've been playing bass guitar for just over 33 years now but only got my Double Bass in March this year so i'm still very new to it really.
totally self taught on both BG & DB,just had a beginners bass book when i was 12 years old then learnt by ear from then on,never had a lesson on DB either i just gradually picked it up & still learning as i go along.

i just uploaded Ricky Nelson's Stood Up to the same link,love the song to bits obne of my all time favourite rockabilly tunes.
i also put another original track on "Walk away" which is my favourite track,let me know what you think please matey.(this is the only track we put an overdub guitar riff into which you can only just hear but it works)

Edited by artisan

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1352830501' post='1868091']
i just uploaded Ricky Nelson's Stood Up to the same link,love the song to bits obne of my all time favourite rockabilly tunes.
i also put another original track on "Walk away" which is my favourite track,let me know what you think please matey.
[/quote]

blimey..never knew Ricky could rock like that. Ive been into rockabilly for over 35 years and never heard that before...great thumping bass sound.

Of your ones, Long Train is my favourite, with Little Ray of Sunshine a close second. Not that theres anything wrong with Walk Away.

Let me know if you guys are playing in the Bedfordshire area, and I will come along.

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1352831737' post='1868108']
blimey..never knew Ricky could rock like that. Ive been into rockabilly for over 35 years and never heard that before...great thumping bass sound.

Of your ones, Long Train is my favourite, with Little Ray of Sunshine a close second. Not that theres anything wrong with Walk Away.

Let me know if you guys are playing in the Bedfordshire area, and I will come along.
[/quote]

cheers Chris will do it'd be nice to see you & have a chat :D
i like the bass sound too,i used to use innovation super silvers but the superior bassworks deluxe have a much better vintage sound to them & they are very cheap too.
thanks for the comments on the tracks too matey,lots of people have listened but only you commented so thanks again.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1352896100' post='1868924']
i like the bass sound too,i used to use innovation super silvers but the superior bassworks deluxe have a much better vintage sound to them & they are very cheap too.
[/quote]

Ive heard good things about those strings ...$60 for a set sounds good, did you get them from the UK or did you order them from USA ??

Nice tunes, enjoyed listening to those. You mention you don't use a pickup on the fingerboard to give a click, which would make quite a difference and give a much more pronounced 'click'. I would've preferred the bass a bit higher in the mix (as I like bass).

Like the singing too :)

I've just received some Bassworks Superior Deluxe's from the US (quick delivery and very good value). Haven't had a chance to try them yet tho'.

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1352921500' post='1869443']
Nice tunes, enjoyed listening to those. You mention you don't use a pickup on the fingerboard to give a click, which would make quite a difference and give a much more pronounced 'click'. I would've preferred the bass a bit higher in the mix (as I like bass).

Like the singing too :)

I've just received some Bassworks Superior Deluxe's from the US (quick delivery and very good value). Haven't had a chance to try them yet tho'.
[/quote]
cheers Zero,i'd like a clicky but can't afford it at the moment but i'll most likley get the K&K rockabilly setup when i can afford it.
i'm sure you'll lover the superiors i found them much easier to play than the inno's & they sound way nicer.

Chris F i ordered them direct,took a couple of weeks to get here but well worth the wait.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1352994058' post='1870289']
lol good for you matey,in fact you're 2 years older than me haha you old fart :D :D

think i going to get a new pickup & blender setup for mr bass so i may sell the bassmax if you are interested?
[/quote]

hmmm..maybe. I do want a bassmax. But it depends when, as at the moment money is damn tight. 4 kids and christmas coming up..plus my dumbarse bosses have chosen now to go from weekly pay to monthly.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a chance to use my recently acquired Basswork Superior Deluxe 'dirty gut' strings and like them. They're easier to slap in general, and give a 'darker' tone over the RS4000's I was using. They are somewhat quieter though, probably because of the lower tension. They work very well with my current K&K Rockabilly pickup set-up. For the price, I'd say these are highly recommended (especially for slap playing). They also settled in very quickly.

Edited by zero9

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1354195372' post='1883371']
I've had a chance to use my recently acquired Basswork Superior Deluxe 'dirty gut' strings and like them. They're easier to slap in general, and give a 'darker' tone over the RS4000's I was using. They are somewhat quieter though, probably because of the lower tension. They work very well with my current K&K Rockabilly pickup set-up. For the price, I'd say these are highly recommended (especially for slap playing). They also settled in very quickly.
[/quote]

they are good arn't they,i love to sound of them.

took you're advice & bought a new pickup,TM billy special,fitted it las night but not had chance to try it yet.
i sat a while deciding where to mount the clicky & settled for the front of the scooped section on the fingerboard,i'll see how it works tonight.

Sounds good. Let me know how you get on.

I use a twin channel head and connect my K&K Bassmaster Rockabilly Plus using a stereo to 2x jack cable, thus giving control over the bridge and fingerboard piezo's seperately.

Edited by zero9