Why become a member? ×

Fender jazz bass convertion to V sting

I'm sure it could be done. You would have to buy a new neck as I'm sure you wouldn't be able to fit five strings on a 4 Jazz neck. Buy a new bridge and new pickups and have the routings altered for the pickups.

I would just persevere with selling and buy a fiver.

Conversion of a 4 string neck's not a goer IMO. Just not enouh space. You'd end up with unplayably narrow spacings and all the head stock geometry would be wrong. A 5 string neck might do it but then you'd have to rout for new pups and neck pocket, plus buy new hardware and install new pups. I guess it could be done but it's a challenge and one slip and you're left with an expensive lump of firewood...

For all the effort and expense you could just buy one.... I'm with BassBus - persevere with selling and buy a 5er.

[quote name='Soundcheck.effects' timestamp='1352559767' post='1864627']
I put on basschat but nobody makes offer....
And I am thinking to make some mods....
I found this. [url="http://www.3dentourage.com/425/425.htm"]http://www.3dentourage.com/425/425.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Jeff's site that you linked to uses mainly Ricks which are about 42.9mm width at the nut whereas yours is around 38mm so it would be very tight but doable but you'd need soapbar jazz pickups, something like a Kahler 7450 5 string bridge, a matching tuner, drill the hole for the tuner, buy a blank jazz nut and create the gaps for 5 strings.

All in all, its a major pain unless its something you've done before. I did the Rick 4 to 5 conversion using a battered faker and fitted a single EMG35CS in the bridge position.Lots of fun but the bridge was a major pain to adjust properly and the nut took a while to get it spot on. I quickly got bored and bought a factory 5 string.

If you want the five string option why not buy an octave pedal. Turn off the natural signal and turn the octave signal on full. Then play all your notes above the 7th fret. Instant five string. Scott Devine uses that trick and he knows what he's doing.