Why become a member? ×

(Kids') Telly programme bass playing

OldGit

I get to half watch/listen to quite a bit of kids' telly ..

I've noticed there's some really good bass playing on some of it.
Arthur the Aardvark has Ziggy Marley doing the really good theme tune and some sparkling bass oriented incidental music. No idea who it is, of course, as the credits go too fast to read :)

Everyone Hates Chris has a sound track by Marcus Miller...

Any others?

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='196940' date='May 12 2008, 09:54 AM']The band taht recorded 'Mr Benn' has some top notch players in it, including Kenny Wheeler. To the Producers credit, the musicians are listed on the end credits.

I once saw Alphonso Johnson's name on a US kid programme.[/quote]
Abe Laboriel ended up writing all the incidental music for the final season of CHiPs. Apparently the producers dumped the orchestra and just left him in the studio to get on with it!

Not really TV, but I used to want to play the bassline on "The Generation Gap" kids game theme on Jamie Theakston's Heart FM breakfast show.

The current version is simpler, but the previous version they used up until last year was great. Big walking thing that was really fast. I am assuming it was a parody of the original.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='196961' date='May 12 2008, 10:30 AM']Space 1999 - John McCoy of Gillan / Mammoth fame provides the bottom 4 for the title music. [url="http://www.planetbass.fsnet.co.uk/johnmccoy.html"]Interview.[/url]
[/quote]

You couldn't make this stuff up could you ?

I love this theme music...takes me back to 1976 :)

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='misrule' post='197703' date='May 13 2008, 09:10 AM']There's some good stuff on Me Too! -- the daft show by the Balamory team about what parents get up to while their kids are with a child minder.

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

I remember catching an episode of Ballamory (that my son was watching, I hasten to add) that featured one of the grooviest, funkiest slap lines ever. I very much doubt it was him, but it really sounded like Mark King - style, tone etc.

Cheers
Matt

[quote name='bassmanbish' post='198079' date='May 13 2008, 04:14 PM']I remember catching an episode of Ballamory (that my son was watching, I hasten to add) that featured one of the grooviest, funkiest slap lines ever. I very much doubt it was him, but it really sounded like Mark King - style, tone etc.

Cheers
Matt[/quote]
There's a very fast slap line on Me Too! as well, while some woman cleans a bus. Since it's the same production company, it may be the same bassist. I had a rummage around the internet but I can't find out who it was.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='200173' date='May 16 2008, 09:33 AM']LOL, you guys need to get out more.[/quote]

Well if that's you in your avatar you probably know all these shows and the bass lines :)
the Dallas theme has some funky "flat wounds with pick" sounds .. Chris Evans keeps playing it as a jingle

[quote name='OldGit' post='200549' date='May 16 2008, 04:43 PM']Well if that's you in your avatar you probably know all these shows and the bass lines :)
the Dallas theme has some funky "flat wounds with pick" sounds .. Chris Evans keeps playing it as a jingle[/quote]

Yeah, thats me. got my dad to take it. Had to drag him away from Ben 10.

Agreed though, kids programs do have some great tunes and do seem quite rhythm and bass based.

Make me want to go home and watch CBBC now (or even Cbeebies)