Why become a member? ×

Any amp wrapping/cover to negate cold weather?

Sibob

Hi all,

If I absolutely had to leave a solid-state amp in a car overnight.......consistently.......are there any covers/wraps etc etc that would help negate the low temperature?.
I'm not sure what I'm after, or if I'm barking up a wrong tree, but would something like an insulation blanket help keep cold out, or do they just keep heat in?!

hmmmm

Si

It's not the cold that damages your amp it's the condensation that ends up corroding the electronics. I used to leave my amp in the car and because of condensation in the boot slowly but surely the contacts got corroded and it started to crackle. Luckily it was just a cheap practice amp.
If you really do need to keep gear in your car you need to try and keep it as watertight as possible. Maybe wrap it in a blanket that may get wet on the outside but which damp can't penetrate.

The only thing that will keep an amp warm in a car is an electric blanket. :lol:

Seriously, covers, blankets, insulation etc can only reduce the rate of cooling - they can't actually keep anything warm.

Anyway, cold temperatures won't harm an amp as such - as long as the environment is non-condensing (as noted above).

The CD/Radio in my car has survived 14 years of being parked outside in all weathers and still works fine. I doubt that a bass amp is much more fragile. ;)

[quote name='Stealth' timestamp='1352632745' post='1865286']
I use a moisture trap you get them at a caravan or boat shop. Little plastic box with crystals take the moisture out of the air into a drip try. Cheap and they work[/quote]

^this - because I've done it & it works, while silica gel sachets only have a finite life - and you'll be amazed how much collects in one of those traps, a couple of the small size ones will easily tuck into a small corner in the case.
I also bought a duvet for a single bed for it - to keep the cold out rather than warmth in, though I drew the line at telling it bed-time stories. :)