Why become a member? ×

New/Used CIJ Jazz

Ska Man

HI Guys, Ive just picked up a 1997 CIJ Fender Jazz. This is my first time to own a decent J bass so I have a few questions.
Its a lovely bass but hasnt been looked after as well as I would have liked.

Firstly the frets are quite worn and the nut is too. Gerry Hayes in Dublin is having a look at that for me tonight.
The bridge seems a little bit out of shape and seems quite flimsy so should I replace it and what are peoples opinions on bridges? Badass Babicz etc
I have heard some negative reviews of the elecs/ p'ups in these jap jazz's and would like your opinions on this too.
Also the bass needs to be tuned each time i pick it up unlike my P bass. Are the stock tuners good quality or should I change these too ?

Any advice or opinion is gratefully accepted !!!

Im not doing anything with this bass untill I have all my homework done and I want it to be right :unsure: :scratch_one-s_head: .........

Thanks in advance,

Mick

I find a replacement bridge doesn't make as much difference to the sound as you'd expect, maybe a high mass bridge gives you a little more sustain and a slightly more modern sound but with the bass plugged in it probably won't make much difference. Most bridges do the job really well so it comes down to price and availability, the Badass is considered quite cool but isn't always easy to get hold of and doesn't do anything any other bridge can't do. I prefer the old Fender Bent Bit Of Tin bridges as I like my Fenders to sound like Fenders.

Some of the Japanese Fenders have pretty average pickups, they're not actually bad but they're just not that special. Wizards are quite popular on here and quite good value, I've got Fender Vintage in my MIJs and they sound good to me.

I'd be surprised if your tuners need replacing, get nut, frets and the bridge sorted first and see if it cures the problem. It might just need some fresh strings, a good setup and a bit of time to settle down.

Edited by Fat Rich

An issue I've had a few times with Fenders going out of tune is where the saddle screws are loose and vibrate undone when you play, making the strings go flat. Unscrew the screw then apply the tiniest dab of threadlock of possibly nail varnish on the threads before screwing back in and adjusting to height usually does the trick :-)

i have a 96 non export 75 ri jazz.. i needed to replace the tuners because they are crap, imo.. rattle when not under tension, not too much of an issue but that just me.. i put some USA 75 tuners.. your bass must have been played hard and a huge amount for the frets to be worn... like others have said, leave the bridge.. nowt wrong with it with some good pickups.. imo, japanese stock pickups really dont let the instrument do what it can.. a good set of fender vintage, wizards, or if you want a true awsome tone put in some lindy fralins...

I've had a few Japanese Jazz Basses and they have all been great in their own way but all had USA pickups (other than a Japanese Squier). For a really growly typical Jazz Bass sound I recommend the Wizard 64 pickups, a set which I recently bought and was very impressed with. They will turn you instantly into Jaco Pastorius for about £70.

I have the 93 CIJ 62 reissue jazz and its just beautiful. I would agree that the pickups were a bit weak, and VERY noisy even after "star earth" wiring and copper foil and taking resistance down to 0.008 ohms between pickup and socket earth.

I changed mine for split coil HBs made by matte_black on this forum and its now perfect. I havent had any issues with tuners or bridge, frets are a bit worn but its seen use [shrug]