Why become a member? ×

Marshall Super Bass 100 from 1971 - SOLD

TPJ

Carl informed me that this is now sold.

Again, selling this for my mate Carl.

Updated listing regarding the cab.

1971 Marshall Super Bass 100 with 412 basket weave cab. Loaded with non-original Blackback 55hz Celestions.

The owner informed me that the amp was serviced less than 12 months ago including valve biasing and all is ok.

I have high res pic of the amps' gubbins. Looks like point to point wiring to me.

£1300

PM me for Carl's contact details.

Edited by TPJ

I met up with Carl tonight to collect the Quantum Head that was for sale.
An absolute top chap indeed and I would have no hesitation in recommending him for any potential buyer.
B)

I'm gonna cry reading this - my first decent amp was a SuperBass 100, bought in 1990. Probably not as early a model as this or in as good nick. Crying part is because at the stupid age of 14 I traded it for a Carlsbro 1x15 combo that was humongous and sounded sh*t. Why did I trade? Because it was cheaper than revalving it, which I knew nothing about. What a fool I was.

Good luck with the sale.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

[quote name='Thornybank' timestamp='1352402451' post='1862683']
Matching cab would have been checkerboard cloth and greenback Rolas.
With the Bass logo upper left, most likely 30w drivers.
The speakers have been swapped out for black back Rolas (like htem with a 50 head for guitar).

Cab looks maybe a recover.
Replacement logo, clean corners, piping white (not scuzzy), dents under tensioned tolex along top edge, etc
So what? Ply Marshall!

The amp is totally capable of frying them, so caution if using just the one cab.
Valves are mismatched, but sitting in pairs.
Question should be asked about biasing.
Replacement feet - should be the black plastic dome things.

Still cool.

Head probably worth the entry price.

If I didn't have like 10 of 'em, I would pounce.
[/quote]

Well thats just put me right off!! :(

Update: I received this from Carl about the amp.

[i]"[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Hi Tom,[/size][/font][/i]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][i]The guy that I bought it off had purchased the pair together from new in 1971, so I can only assume the cab is an original 71. However, the speakers I have replaced with the exact same speaks as the original bass cab speakers from 1978, the speakers alone are going for £300-400 for 4 in good condition. As for the spec, they were and are BLACKBACK 55hz bass resonance, and not the GREENBACK 75hz bass resonace, as far as I'm aware, the latter where loaded into the guitar cabs, were the BLACKBACK 55hz were loaded in the bass cabs.[/i][/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][i]Celestion have just re released these exact same speakers as a 70th anniversary model, they were that good.[/i][/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][i]Hendrix preferred the superbass head and bass cabs over the guitar head and cabs, that's partly how he got his signature sound, was through the lower register of the 55hz. [/i][/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][i]Cheers[/i][/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][i]Carl"[/i][/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]My advice is do some research about these. I found a few articles that support Carl's email as well as Thornybanks! If you are interested pm me and I'll give you Carl's contact details and you can speak with him about it. [/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2] :)[/size][/font]

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1352418658' post='1862956']
Well thats just put me right off!! :(
[/quote]

I would pounce.
The whole rig is low money and what a sound!
Like I said, I have a shedload of htis stuff -because it is killer and rises in value.