Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jazz pickup recommendations - please??

dodgnofski

Hi Chaps & Chapesses, Having just aquired the most wonderful Yamaha BB404F fretless bass from our very own Flippyfloop - great Guy, by the way - I am toying with the idea of upgrading the two Jazz type *passive* pickups. The rest of the Bass is unbelievable - at any price - action, weight, balance, intonation, etc, etc - but the pickups could be a tad lacking in output?

It would be great, or rather essential that the replacement - passive - pickups are a direct replacement for the original ones - so there is no chance of me ruining the nicest bass I've ever owned by having to re - shape the p/up housings.

They both measure 90mm x 20mm Thanks Guys & Gals - all donations will be gratefully received!

[attachment=122132:Yammy pickups 001.JPG]

[attachment=122133:Yammy pickups 003.JPG]

[attachment=122134:Yammy pickups 003.JPG]

Edited by dodgnofski

Aero make a version of their rather good Type 1 Jazz Bass pickup for the Mexican Jazz bass that has two equal -sized pickups such as those on your Yamaha that might fit. Emg also make a set for MIM Jazz Basses that are likewise both the same size ( rather than the bridge pickup being slightly wider as is the norm. on Jazz Bass sets).

Edited by Dingus

I recomend you Di Marzio those are nice I had them than I have changed them to Aero type 3 (I more than recomend you to have them those are really quality.I dont think I ll ever need other pickups ..the thing is they are expensive, but worth it)

I almost got Lindy Fralin, they are really good too but I cant talk I just researched what they sound like...
best think to do is research on google or youtube and listen to some basses

if you do not like sound of your bass it sometimes deppend on wood
When I was ordering for Aero they told me to first sit down and play with unplugged bass without amp. And check first if I like the soud of bass itself and then order pickup.

I ordered Aero type 3 ( they are slightly darker and have pleseant distorted sound which works nicely on my warmooth fretless).

I might soon upload some clip of them on youtube as there are not any from type 3

[quote name='dodgnofski' timestamp='1351340870' post='1850289']
The rest of the Bass is unbelievable - at any price - action, weight, balance, intonation, etc, etc - but the pickups could be a tad lacking in output?
[/quote]
Some of the best pickups I 've heard (the latest a pair on a MIA 62RI) were very (if not extremely) low in output.

Talk to Andy at Wizard Pickups, he'll make whatever you want for less money than most of the brand name pickups.

I've got them in a few of my Jazz basses, all different specs. from the lower output vintage 60s style to mega output custom winds. One set he made for me were not quite right, I talked to him on the phone about why and sent them back for a rewind, within a week I had what I wanted in my bass.

wizardpickups.co.uk

I quite like the sound of those Yamaha jazz pickups. i put a set in an el-cheapo no name Jazz bass the other day and it really brought the bass to life (cliche I know). The bass went from a low output thuddy indistinct crappy sounding bass to somewhat of a tone monster - and now every note on the neck seems to ring out really well. I had to lower the neck pickup on the E-string side as it was quite bass heavy (which is really saying something as I play reggae) LOL .

Out of interest, who makes the pickups for Yamahas?

[quote name='BassHertz' timestamp='1351868517' post='1856409']
I quite like the sound of those Yamaha jazz pickups. i put a set in an el-cheapo no name Jazz bass the other day and it really brought the bass to life (cliche I know). The bass went from a low output thuddy indistinct crappy sounding bass to somewhat of a tone monster - and now every note on the neck seems to ring out really well. I had to lower the neck pickup on the E-string side as it was quite bass heavy (which is really saying something as I play reggae) LOL .

Out of interest, who makes the pickups for Yamahas?
[/quote]

Yamaha probably make their own pickups. They even own the forests that supply the wood for their instruments, so I doubt they out-source something as fundamental as pickup manufacture.