Why become a member? ×

Gibson Midtown or Gretsch G5440LSB Electromatic ??

Mr Fretbuzz

Which one would you go for? I think the Gretsch looks a bit better but maybe the Gibson would sound better and maybe better built? GAS for a semi acoustic rock n roll type Bass . Thought about the Hagstrom Viking until I read about the breaking trapeze, thought about the Epiphone Jack Casady until I saw the Gretsch and now the Gibson is out I dunno

Edited by Mr Fretbuzz

I have the same desires lol. The one bass I ever regret shifting was a 58 EB2. I remember the mudbucker, the massive fretwear, the finish and fretboard wear and worst of all the floppy rattling E string and it farting out (heavy touch here) but I do miss it. I wonder what the mudbucker might sound like with a modern bass rig?.

Best bet is to wait and see... due to my EB2 and re-living youth needs (have not bought Norton commando or Triumph 750 death wish so far) the Midtown is on my list. Has made me think is this a clever Gibson marketing ploy. Will it neck dive, will it do the EB3/2 tone without mud, does the headstock stay on (my EB2 did despite tuner bending drop) and will it stand up in a modern context. If it does these things, I want one, now.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='Fuzzbass2000' timestamp='1350768835' post='1843393']
Gibson have raised their game significantly on the bass front. The Midtown's a good looking instrument as is the new EB (i think). First time in ages I've looked at new Gibson basses as a serious option.
[/quote]

Working in a music shop and encountering both brands on a daily basis I have to completely disagree. Gibson QC is appalling and we send AT LEAST 50% of all stock back due to faults. Dodgy electronics, poor finishing etc.

Gretsch on the other hand, the QC is fantastic and the recent upgrades from the 51XX range to the 54XX range are incredible. The upgraded electronics kick arse and all the additional details like bound 'F' holes, block inlays etc make a huge difference aesthetically.

It would be Gretsch all the way for me. Gretsch are also super efficient at fixing any problems that do occur whereas Gibson send companies and customers through middlemen in Amsterdam and it takes forever for problems to get resolved.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1350769583' post='1843403']
Working in a music shop and encountering both brands on a daily basis I have to completely disagree. Gibson QC is appalling and we send AT LEAST 50% of all stock back due to faults. Dodgy electronics, poor finishing etc.
[/quote]

Fair enough - it was more an observation on the designs as opposed to the QC vs other brands. If everyone's having to send instruments back in significant quantities hopefully they'll get the message and fix it.

Edited by Fuzzbass2000

I suppose you'd have to go and play them and see which one you like. Bet you'll find all sorts of differences in the flesh. May mean paying a touch more than the cheapest possible net price but you'll get the bass you know you prefer.

Also, sk21 talks sense, seems from the pics that the Grestch is more of a luxury end bass, the Gibson being more basic.

Is resale value relevant?

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1350767293' post='1843375']
I have the same desires lol. The one bass I ever regret shifting was a 58 EB2. I remember the mudbucker, the massive fretwear, the finish and fretboard wear and worst of all the floppy rattling E string and it farting out (heavy touch here) but I do miss it. I wonder what the mudbucker might sound like with a modern bass rig?.

Best bet is to wait and see... due to my EB2 and re-living youth needs (have not bought Norton commando or Triumph 750 death wish so far) the Midtown is on my list. Has made me think is this a clever Gibson marketing ploy. Will it neck dive, will it do the EB3/2 tone without mud, does the headstock stay on (my EB2 did despite tuner bending drop) and will it stand up in a modern context. If it does these things, I want one, now.
[/quote]

Just to be pedantic, the bakelite covered p/ups on the early EB's were single coil, not mudbuckers. Being positioned right up against the neck and with de rigeur flats on they can sound very thuddy, but with decent light rounds on can be surprisingly articulate (pic of my rather dog-eared '58 attached - and co-incidentally I also ride a '72 Norton Commando 750 Roadster! but owned it 25 years....)

I just googled both the basses in the OP being unfamiliar with them, and have to say that even as a die-hard Gibson fan; on looks the Gretsch does it for me. You'd have to try them both though. Hear good things about the Epi Allen Woody and Rumblekat too.