Why become a member? ×

Peavey Basses

Jackson85

Just joined this forum tonight and I recently bought a Peavey Grind 5 string, I played the 4 string version and fell in love with it instantly, so I thought what the hell! I'll get a 5! So i'm posting this asking what other bass players think of the Grind range from Peavey?

2nd bass I even bought was a Grind. 'Twas a 6-string and I still have it now. Cost me about £350, being a music college student in 2005 it was well attainable and saw me well through my last year. Plus, it looked "kinda" similar...if you squinted...To Claypool's Rainbow Bass haha...

This model is the one with the scoop on the bottom horn. I didn't like that part because tbh I don't see the point. If your gonna slap and hit the body to the point you need a scoop...stop hitting the body! All it did was mess my technique up and made playing sitting down a touch painful because the bottom horn is so thin it dug in haha.
Build wise though other than that it was solid. I used to use medium-high action back then, not sure why as all it did was made stuff harder but hey, there must have been a reason.
I modified the bridge saddles a few months ago as it doesn't go as low as I'd like because of excess bulk, so I filed the saddles down and it sits really close to the last fret just nicely.
I don't think I'll ever actually fully mod it though, just feel it deserves a place nearby as my 2nd bass and my 1st 6-string, 35" scale bass. Was quite a jump :-)

I've got one of the 6 string Grinds too, and I've played one of the newer Chinese made ones with a black finish. Love these basses! The newer ones are practically identical in playability, but have a much clearer and deeper sound if I remember rightly.

I've played practically every type of bass there is, from the most knackered Squier, up to vintage Fenders, Stingrays, Warwicks etc, and nothing has ever felt as 'right' as my three Peaveys. So they're the only basses I own! :D (i'm after a few more too!) Enjoy yours dude!

Other Peavey's I have are from the Cirrus series...Well, the BXP version to be exact.
I have a 5-string Peavey CIrrus BXP with a lovely bubinga top. It's built pretty well, same bridge as the grind so again, I filed the saddles down. Thru-neck etc.
Previous owner put a 3-way toggle switch in over the pan pot, which was it's selling point to me.
Real sweet, well built and ultra easy to use. Tone is a little bit rich in the midrange for my tastes, however.
I may one day put it up on here as I no longer use it.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1350696576' post='1842509']
I have a Cirrus BXP four-string, plain wood. Pretty, nice neck, comfortable to play... but the electrics are not good.
I also have a Fury II, which I like a lot (so far - haven't had it long).
[/quote]

I agree the pre-amp could be a bit less um...cardboard? Lol it's not that bad but it's rich in the midrange I don't like. Still, it's Low-B will ring forever and it's pretty punchy.
Luckily, this is the model without the silly 4 hour battery life issue they had in the early days.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1350696576' post='1842509']
I also have a Fury II, which I like a lot (so far - haven't had it long).
[/quote]

That would be my old one? Nice innit! What a great neck!

I kind of regret selling it but no point totally surrounding myself with basses I don't use.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1351094539' post='1847294']
That would be my old one?  Nice innit!  What a great neck!

I kind of regret selling it but no point totally surrounding myself with basses I don't use.
[/quote]

It is indeed :)

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1350860630' post='1844502']
I agree the pre-amp could be a bit less um...cardboard? Lol it's not that bad but it's rich in the midrange I don't like. Still, it's Low-B will ring forever and it's pretty punchy.
Luckily, this is the model without the silly 4 hour battery life issue they had in the early days.
[/quote]

I think my Cirrus BXP is one of the early ones :(

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1351098472' post='1847351']
I think my Cirrus BXP is one of the early ones :(
[/quote]

I don't know a great deal about this myself as I've only read about it, but it's apparently an issue with how they are wired. People have rectified the problem by re-wiring but I'm afraid I don't know what the correct diagram looks like.
Either way, if I did stick with this bass I'm gonna rip the pre-amp out, it's not to my taste. But then again, it might be down to more than that tone wise.
It plays so damn sweet, it just lets me down when I plug it in. I have to scoop all the mids to get a nice tone, which sucks because volume declines and so does your part of the mix. :-/

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1351122130' post='1847769']
I don't know a great deal about this myself as I've only read about it, but it's apparently an issue with how they are wired. People have rectified the problem by re-wiring but I'm afraid I don't know what the correct diagram looks like.
Either way, if I did stick with this bass I'm gonna rip the pre-amp out, it's not to my taste. But then again, it might be down to more than that tone wise.
It plays so damn sweet, it just lets me down when I plug it in. I have to scoop all the mids to get a nice tone, which sucks because volume declines and so does your part of the mix. :-/
[/quote]

Peavey replaced the preamp for free if you asked them (not sure if they still will). I have the Millenium AC BXP and they swapped mine. Battery life jumped from 1 practice to a few years.