Why become a member? ×

Kingbass

marcus bell

Hi Marcus

Have you played one? I loved mine...until i gigged it. Build quality etc was superb, and it looked the mutts (Rosewood/Blue LEDs/gold hardware etc). The trouble i found was getting a decent giggable tone without constantly tweaking the graphic. I also found the output far too hot (as did many other owners) and ended up having it modified to lower the output.

If you do get one, get a 32" scale unless you have super long arms....... :-)

Good luck bud, and hope you find one soon :-)

G

Hi Marcus

I'm with you on these... I've found them to be the perfect bass for me.... The sound is absolutely there in terms of punch, growl and clarity. Obviously if you play a lot of Slap (as I do) then they seem to come into there own.

I've owned three Kingbass now and have finally settled on a Graphite 5 string artist model. It's the perfect bass as far as I can find... I had an S2 in the past also which was a superb instrument but it never really hung right around me.

Prior to Status I played Warwick Thumb 5 string through neck and while this was a great bass, I found the Status blew it away in terms of clarity and tone. Also the weight factor was hugely different.

For me the design of a small compact body with a headless neck works extremely well for a gigging instrument.

As for the comments above regarding hot output.... well yes they do have a hotter than average output but you can adjust this on the pre-amp board quite easily yourself. Or use the Volume control on the bass :rolleyes:

Here's a piccy of mine

They are just sooo right - lovely weight/balance - and you don't have to play it with "the Mark King tone"..they do so much more..here's mine (even though you've seen it before..

You're pretty much hard pushed to find better customer service...possibly only exceeded by Bernie Goodfellow..[size=2]and that is a very debatable statement..[/size]

Edited by TheGreek

@crez5150 thats a lush bass. I couldn't cope with not having the volume control on full, I'm a bit odd like that.

Agree also with other comment about how the bass hangs, as it didn't sit well on me personally, but that might have been due to my middle age spread :-)

@TheGreek, thats a stunner too

So come on Marcus, you've been saying for ages about getting one (I remember your posts on the old L42 web digest!) hurry up and get one! :-)

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by fender73

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1350470307' post='1839183']
Hi Marcus

I'm with you on these... I've found them to be the perfect bass for me.... The sound is absolutely there in terms of punch, growl and clarity. Obviously if you play a lot of Slap (as I do) then they seem to come into there own.

I've owned three Kingbass now and have finally settled on a Graphite 5 string artist model. It's the perfect bass as far as I can find... I had an S2 in the past also which was a superb instrument but it never really hung right around me.

Prior to Status I played Warwick Thumb 5 string through neck and while this was a great bass, I found the Status blew it away in terms of clarity and tone. Also the weight factor was hugely different.

For me the design of a small compact body with a headless neck works extremely well for a gigging instrument.

As for the comments above regarding hot output.... well yes they do have a hotter than average output but you can adjust this on the pre-amp board quite easily yourself. Or use the Volume control on the bass :rolleyes:

Here's a piccy of mine

[/quote]

Yep, that's a bass that ticks all the boxes for me. Unfortunately with my frequency and standard of playing I'll never be able to justify one. :(

• 1 month later...