Why become a member? ×

Aguilar pedals headroom trouble?

andydye

Am having a bit of bother with my 2 aguilar pedals just now...

[attachment=121209:IMAG0803.jpg]

I got my TLC to have as an 'always on' sound conditioner and is basically set to the minimum compression settings so it should just be squeezing my signal ever so slightly, if I play fingerstyle though it's farty/distorty so am having to just use it for any slapped passages...

My Octamizer sounds wicked unless I have my BMC on which gives a slight mid bump not dissimilar to if I bump the mids on my bass' preamp...

I can move the BMC to after the Octamizer which will probably fix that problem but the TLC still sounds farty nasty even on the minimum settings, what am I doing wrong?

Is there some internal headroom issue with Aguilar pedals?

I could move the TLC to be immediately after my tuner (ie second in the chain) removing any dirt from before it but even with the dirtboxes off it sounds the same so I wouldn't imagine that would help?

other useful info...I mostly play my Lakland 55-02 and use OBBM cables, when all the effects are off everything sounds lovely and clean through my Genz/Epi setup so there has to be some kind of issue with the pedals/order

Edited by andydye

It could have something to do with the order you link the pedals or not. Another big issue is to know what exactly you use each pedal for and how you would like to use more than one at the same time.

If i had your board i would be using it like this:

1. TU2 - for all the obvious reasons;
2. Octamizer - i find that octavers work better with clean signal straight from the bass. less tracking issues;
3. BMC - using it here i could tailor both the clean bass and the octaved bass tone;
4. SFT - because a drive after octave and before filter works great, also i would always use it before the fuzz;
5. PPB - explained on the SFT
6. Proton - the filter sounds great with octave and/or fuzz before
7. chorus - always on the end of all fx
8. TLC - i always use the compressor on the end of the chain thus giving me control over the entire range of sounds produced on the board and alowing for the clean tone from the bass to go through the fx units and enhancing the dynamics.

It's just a game of trial and error, you just need to fing the pedal order that suit your needs better

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1350382060' post='1837979']
Am having a bit of bother with my 2 aguilar pedals just now...

[attachment=121209:IMAG0803.jpg]

I got my TLC to have as an 'always on' sound conditioner and is basically set to the minimum compression settings so it should just be squeezing my signal ever so slightly, if I play fingerstyle though it's farty/distorty so am having to just use it for any slapped passages...

My Octamizer sounds wicked unless I have my BMC on which gives a slight mid bump not dissimilar to if I bump the mids on my bass' preamp...

I can move the BMC to after the Octamizer which will probably fix that problem but the TLC still sounds farty nasty even on the minimum settings, what am I doing wrong?

Is there some internal headroom issue with Aguilar pedals?

I could move the TLC to be immediately after my tuner (ie second in the chain) removing any dirt from before it but even with the dirtboxes off it sounds the same so I wouldn't imagine that would help?

other useful info...I mostly play my Lakland 55-02 and use OBBM cables, when all the effects are off everything sounds lovely and clean through my Genz/Epi setup so there has to be some kind of issue with the pedals/order
[/quote]

i know its like telling someone to suck eggs but im guessing it works on its own yeh?

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1350579106' post='1840868']

i know its like telling someone to suck eggs but im guessing it works on its own yeh?

andy
[/quote]

Haven't tried it not attached to the chain but even when it's the only thing on it's fartypants...

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1350581059' post='1840898']
Haven't tried it not attached to the chain but even when it's the only thing on it's fartypants...
[/quote]

again i doubt it will make a dif but i'd take it of the board completely and run it using a 9v and see it it works, i doubt that any of the effects after it would cause a problem tho as they arent acting on the pedal!

andy

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1350577650' post='1840825']
I always use my comp first in the chain, so that stomping on any gain based pedals can give me a level boost if i feel the need to set them that way:)
[/quote]

I use my multicomp on the end of the signal chain and i still can get dynamics when i dig deeper or if i turn my fuzz on! I can got from almost silence to full mayhem but without harsh peaks that hurt my ears. It's just a matter of using only the right amount of compression!
Also, i find that my envelope filters sound way much better with compression after, thay responde better to the playing dynamics and the comp removes the super bright and harsh peaks (sorry for repeating myself).

Cheers

edit: and i can get volume boost when turning the fuzz on if i want to, i find that from all the comps i've tried the multicomp works best to get this.

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1350645402' post='1841642']
I use my multicomp on the end of the signal chain and i still can get dynamics when i dig deeper or if i turn my fuzz on! I can got from almost silence to full mayhem but without harsh peaks that hurt my ears. It's just a matter of using only the right amount of compression!
Also, i find that my envelope filters sound way much better with compression after, thay responde better to the playing dynamics and the comp removes the super bright and harsh peaks (sorry for repeating myself).

Cheers

edit: and i can get volume boost when turning the fuzz on if i want to, i find that from all the comps i've tried the multicomp works best to get this.
[/quote]

I think the way you use yours is the most common way actually! I use mine first since I use very heavy compression, so i'd probably end up putting a lot of noise in my signal chain, as well as killing any potential level boosts if I did it the normal way :lol:

Though I have considered using compression at the beginning AND the end of the chain before.. bad idea? :lol:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1350653374' post='1841832']
Though I have considered using compression at the beginning AND the end of the chain before.. bad idea? :lol:
[/quote]

I use a guitar compressor for some fairly heavy compression, and blend this with another chain which is mainly dirt. after a few more pedals comes a limiter. So, I can get the heavy punchy compressed sound, but also limit any peaks. I still have plenty of control over my dynamics too... So no, it's a great idea!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1350656039' post='1841876']
I use a guitar compressor for some fairly heavy compression, and blend this with another chain which is mainly dirt. after a few more pedals comes a limiter. So, I can get the heavy punchy compressed sound, but also limit any peaks. I still have plenty of control over my dynamics too... So no, it's a great idea!
[/quote]

Cool :)

I'm thinking this chain:

Bass > Comp > Drive > Drive > Noise Gate > Modulation > Delay > Comp

So...I've reordered the chain to be:

Tuner>OctaMizer>tlc>sft>ppb>bmc>unichorus

Which sounds way better to me.

...I've found and replaced a very dodgy georgeL (with a cheap thing that'll do for now) interconnect which cured most of the dreadful noises

...and following that I have to have the OctaMizer's octave filter hard left to avoid farty noises if I play hard

Am not entirely set on this order as I can't use the OctaMizer and ppb at the same time cos the ppb doesn't like the octaved signal and goes into mega mush...

...more tinkering required...and some new georgeL cable too

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1350678405' post='1842329']
So...I've reordered the chain to be:

Tuner>OctaMizer>tlc>sft>ppb>bmc>unichorus

Which sounds way better to me.

...I've found and replaced a very dodgy georgeL (with a cheap thing that'll do for now) interconnect which cured most of the dreadful noises

...and following that I have to have the OctaMizer's octave filter hard left to avoid farty noises if I play hard

Am not entirely set on this order as I can't use the OctaMizer and ppb at the same time cos the ppb doesn't like the octaved signal and goes into mega mush...

...more tinkering required...and some new georgeL cable too
[/quote]

do you play in a weird tuning? or a drop tuning can't, has the new order made the tlc behave?

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1350678946' post='1842339']
do you play in a weird tuning? or a drop tuning can't, has the new order made the tlc behave?
andy
[/quote]

Standard tuning, low b to g, nothing weird at all, preamp generally flat or slightly bumped mids...

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1350681914' post='1842374']
Standard tuning, low b to g, nothing weird at all, preamp generally flat or slightly bumped mids...
[/quote]

nothing wrong there then, ive only tried the octave on a standard tuned four string, so not sure how it handles the low b.

is strange how for it to sound ok you need to have extreme settings on it tho!? as ive said before have you tried it of the board?

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1350684259' post='1842411']

nothing wrong there then, ive only tried the octave on a standard tuned four string, so not sure how it handles the low b.

is strange how for it to sound ok you need to have extreme settings on it tho!? as ive said before have you tried it of the board?

andy
[/quote]

I had it all in bits last night, tried the tlc solo, got it set up nice then added the octamizer in and it went wappy again so I tarted about with just those two for a while, changing their order to see if it made a difference...once I worked out the setting I needed for clean octave I started adding the other pedals back in, one at a time until I had it all back up and working

A

Glad to hear everything's working fine for you!

It's always the obvious with me too! I remember pulling my hair out because my bass had low output and sounded really farty like it was cutting out... Turns out the active preamp just needed a new 9V *facepalm*

Honestly, part of the reason I only use passive now :lol:

Could this be a case of the Octamizer not being suitable for what you need? Have you tried the MXR Octave Deluxe? I use mine with great results even if i run my PPB at the same time. I can gey a good clean octave sound without mush or fart. I also use 5 string basses with hot output in standart tuning. ;)

Another thing, could this fart sound be caused by any type of bass boost on the amp that combined with the octave down causes the preamp or even the cab to fart?

Cheers