Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG C115-300

moshmonkeys

Not sure if I should have started a whole new topic here so apologies, but I want to get feedback from people who own this specific amp or have played one before. Given that it's only a few quid more (reconditioned model) than an Ashdown EB15-180 it might be worth considering. I was reading reviews on Harmony-Central and they don't seem to be the most reliable. Anyone have any issues with them?

Edited by moshmonkeys

[quote name='moshmonkeys' post='193527' date='May 6 2008, 11:38 PM']Not sure if I should have started a whole new topic here so apologies, but I want to get feedback from people who own this specific amp or have played one before. Given that it's only a few quid more (reconditioned model) than an Ashdown EB15-180 it might be worth considering. I was reading reviews on Harmony-Central and they don't seem to be the most reliable. Anyone have any issues with them?[/quote]

From what ive heard Ashdown had a rough couple of batches a few years back went bang but they obviously worked very hard on sorting it as by all accounts their very good now and I've never had a hint of a problem with any of my Ashdown gear and I know many other players who regulaly gig Ashdown stuff without backup and swear by it. Hope that helps! The MAG range is great value for money by the way, my son has a MAG 2x10 300 combo which sounds lovely!

played the 115, own the 210. i just prefered the sound out of the 2x10 and its the same width as the seperate cabs, the 115 i narrower so does look a little odd on top of an extension cab. that said the 115 does sound very good and as its a little more compact takes up less space in the house, its mid definition is not as clear as the 210 but then thats to be expected.
Personal recommendation would be spend the extra and get the 210 unless of course space and money are a major factor (the 210 is only about another 30 quid more) and then when you want to add an extnsion cab you can.

reliability wise they are ace, yeah they had some problems a while back but they appeared to jump on them very quicky and since then most forums i have visited are pretty devoid of ashdown bashing.

have a look at this mighty fine review of the 210 version might help you out a bit. :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5855"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5855[/url]

I've got one but I'll be selling it soon.
I bought mine in December 2006 which I think put it in the dodgy batch and the transformer blew last January just after it went out of warranty.

To Ashdown's credit they repaired it BUT it did take them 6 weeks to get a replacement.

Sound? Well that's a matter of taste but it has a reasonable bit of grunt. However, my tastes have changed and I now prefer a bit more top-end bite which the 2 x 10" has.

I have one but i dont use it anymore.
Did over 50 gigs with it, mainly weddings and parties. I loved the tone but then one day it went a bit distorted at any decent volume.
Had it in the BC workshop for about 3 months and they said it was fine. It wasn't but its still usable i guess. pretty sure its the power section as the line out sounded fine.
I upgraded from the EB version and while it wasnt an big increase in volume it was nice to get the extra headroom.
The new ones also have a compressor in them now.
I went and got a ABM EVOII 300watt head to replace it with (running in to the Cab part of the MAG) and although it was a nice tone it never sounded quite as loud or cut through like the MAG did. I didnt keep it for long. They both have around the same power section but i would say the way the EQ's freq's are set the MAG seems a bit more pokey compared to the ABM.

IME of course.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Tee' post='193943' date='May 7 2008, 03:33 PM']I'm thinking of picking up a MAG 300 Evo II head, as a cheap/backup head for smaller venues and gigs where i'll have to lend gear out.[/quote]

sorry for the shameless plug - I'm selling a Mag300 head in the amps 'n' cabs forum. £100 plus postage. Just been serviced. Done loads of gigs and still doing the biz - selling to finance a recording project.

My lad Bassboy 115 bought one from Sound Control @ Music Live in 2006. Lasted a month and popped. Took it back to SC in Brum and they did a deal on a Mag 300-210. Gigged for 12 months no probs at all, great tone (though obviously Marmite with some BC'rs). He then changed set up for a Hartke rig, (HA3500 & 4.5XL).

I bought a 2nd hand Mag 300 head recently from a Basschatter as back up for him, Alex has now swapped out for the Mag & the 4.5XL, tremendous tone. So go figure.

Personally, the Ashdowns are IMHO great amps but each to their own

:) Frank

i had an ashdown EB180 combo , was a great little amp

alas

eventually my bass destroyed the cones (probably my poor setup of the actual amp), but i still use the head of it for my halfstack , works a wonder

friends got a mag series 300 or something , says its the best amp he's ever had in terms of reliability

I have one. I'm not really that keen on it, I wanted the 2x10 but got a cash deal on the 15. There is nothing really wrong with it, but I downsized from a MarkBass and Aguilar rig so it was never going to win!

Reliability wise I can't really comment because I'm a bedroom player but the 15 does have a smaller footprint than the 2x10 so the missus would probably prefer it!

Paul.