Why become a member? ×

Another "What bass" thread

tombomb

So I started playing bass about 18 months ago.
Playing in a blusey rock band with a couple of mates to learn our craft!

I got an L2000 as my first bass which is massively versatile but the neck has always seemed a little wide/big for me. Going for along the rock route I recently picked up an Epi T'bird.
For my chubby fingers I find the neck easier to get on with on the bird, problem is the ridiculous neck dive.
Looked into it and found a Gib Thunderbird Studio which selling the L2000 and Epi would pay for...

Had a try tonight, great bassy tone, which fits with what we play. Neck dive less of an issue (still there though) and plays pretty nicely. Bit of buckle rash, finish was ok (not a patch on the G&L)

Was really taken with it when I was there, but coming home and reflecting, now not so sure.

Questions:
Estimates on value of Gibby?
Anyone played both and have thoughts?
I'd like to try a P-deluxe, would I be impressed?

I generally recommend Precisions, but if a wide neck isn`t for you, seeking out a Precision with a Jazz width neck may be a solution - Duff McKagan Sig for example, there was one on here a while back.

That said, the Gibbo T-Birds, being made of mahogany, are heavier on the body, so less neck dive - as noticed. Shift the strap button to the base of the neck, and combined with a wide leather strap, you`ll virtually eliminate it completely.

Jazz bass has a thinner neck. I had T-bird for a while, lovely piece of wood but the Jazz bass is way easier to play.
As said though if you move the strap button to the back of the neck(where it flattens off to meet the body) you'll get rid of the neck dive so if the Epi ticks all other boxes I'd try this before you invest in a Gibson - it might cure all your worries.
If the P sound is what you're after though there are a few models with a Jazz neck on a P body IMO the Jazz is more versatile all round though.

Is it the nut width or neck profile/shape that's the issue.

I've got an Ibanez SR with a stupidly thin neck, it's got a Jazz nut width but also the profile/shape is very thin i.e there's not a lot of wood between my fingers and my thumb if you get my drift. Conversely, a Rockbass Corvette I owned had the same nut width but had a neck like a baseball bat, which I found nigh on impossible to play, crucified my hand. Now I've got an old Squier P bass and despite it having the wider nut, the shape of the neck makes it very comfortable to play. I've got crap hands btw :)

I've just become a pbass convert so I'm biased.

FWIW the nut width and profile of the neck on the Squier CV Jazz make it fantastically slinky. Very good basses for the money, in fact very good basses full stop. But obviously if it's a P you want then a P with a J neck would be the way to go so the Mexican P Deluxe might be worth trying, but bear in mind that it's active without an active/passive switch which may or may not be what you're after. No harm in trying one though :-)

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1350109452' post='1834599']
but bear in mind that it's active without an active/passive switch which may or may not be what you're after. No harm in trying one though :-)
[/quote]

Agreed.. I play P's just about exclusively and as much as I tried to love my American Deluxe, it just wasn't right; it was too complex to actually be a proper P, didn't sound like a proper P, and the preamp was pretty bad compared to others I've owned in the past so what it did sound like wasn't all that great or versatile. I put a glockenklang preamp in it which sounded better and had a passive switch, and that helped but it still looked wrong with too many knobs and switches. In the end I sold it (taking a £700 drop in the process because you can't shift 'em) and got an American Standard V which, incidentally, if you don't like wide necks, you should avoid like the plague... But I love it :)

Sorry.. rambled a bit there.. Back on topic, if you want a P with a slim neck and a touch more versatility and visual interest without being stupidly complex, I can thoroughly recommend a Blacktop Jazz.