Why become a member? ×

barefaced big baby

0175westwood29

just trying to find some info on these cabs, i realise i can email alex but i have seen he is very much over worked when it comes to emails atm so im hoping some of you guys will have some answers?

basically im really happy with my current swr/hartke rig but i just can't get the idea of having a big baby out of my mind! love the looks and also like the abilty to be able to get very clear lows at high volume, i can get the clear lows with the hartke but obviously i can't get alot of volume, its fine on its own for my blues band but my downtuned metal band it struggles with out a 115 underneath.

could the big baby work as a single stand alone cab? id use my swr headlite so it would be getting im guessing about 300w as it puts out 400w at 4 ohms, would this be enough power?

also im looking at getting one secondhand, what sort of price is fair for a secondhand big baby? i know its unlikely but even if i sold my hartke and 1153 trace cabs i can't afford a big baby, plus i cant afford the wait with no cabs.

but im up for selling my cabs to fund a secondhand big baby, if it will be ok as a one cab option, however later i would be looking at adding a second cab either a bb sub or another bb probs the sub as it is less pricey but thats another desicion.

so basically looking to know;

-can i use it as a single cab
-second hand price

and ive asked on some old threads but they may not be being watched anymore but any one have a big baby near plymouth? as obvioulsy trying one out would be the ideal thing to do.

all help thank full

andy

Andy I suggest you read all the [s]blurb[/s] technical explanations on the [url="http://barefacedbass.com/"]Barefaced[/url] website. The gist is that the drivers are so efficient (in terms of displacing air) that they go loud without needing 1000 watts to drive them. And still email Alex, he will reply.

As for buying used, you will have to be quick!

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1349435813' post='1826231']
Andy - you have constant cab GAS! Sorry, can't help with this query, but I wish you luck in finding sonic nirvana eventually :D
[/quote]

haha! i know!!!! but i cant help it they look really nice and ive wanted one for a while, my 610 never sold to fund one.

im not in a manic rush to get this but i do wanna try one, i might throw alex a email but as i can buy new i just feel like im wasting his time.

edit: ive sent alex a email asking a few points but im still looking for views from owners.

andy

Edited by 0175westwood29

I don't know about the volume side of the BB, but I played my Thunderfunk 750 through one at the Bassbash last week and was pleasantly surprised that Alex's description of "clean" and "hi-fi" didn't mean cold and clinical. At lowish volume the tone was nice and round, full and warm.

I used to take my 15" EV to loud gigs but that cab was bomb proof. I'm still not sure about taking a 112 to loud gigs even if it is a Barefaced.

Bear in mind that that BB is a relatively new cab. Not many people own them and most of them seem very happy with them. The likelihood of one coming up on the second hand market must be pretty slim...

However - someone is selling a vintage [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/188514-barefaced-vintage-and-tc-electronic-rh450/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/188514-barefaced-vintage-and-tc-electronic-rh450/[/url] and although there is interest in it, the prospective buyer sounds like they may be getting rid of a Compact...

[left]Sounds like you need the one month trial that Alex offers :)[/left]
[left]My rigs so far have been (ignoring the ones I had before I met Basschat)[/left]

[left]Markbass LMII with 2 Aguilar GS112's[/left]
[left]Aguilar AG500 with 2 Aguilar DB112's[/left]
[left]TC Electronic RH450 + various TC cabs[/left]
[left]RH450 with 2 Bergantino HT/EX112[/left]
[left]Tecamp Puma 1000 Barefaced Big Baby T[/left]

[left]There was some overlap with those previous rigs where I had different combinations. I'm completely happy with my current rig and have had no desire to change it at all. It's monstrously loud, weighs nothing and sounds awesome. Totally a one cab solution for me.[/left]

[left]Second hand? you'll be lucky. If you are ever in Suffolk you are more than welcome to try it out.[/left]

I forgot to add - the "T" option seemed like added versatility but I really neednt have bothered. I've only had one bass that ever seemed to put out the highs to use it, and oddly that was my dark star decade. Even my sadowsky NYC didnt seem to fill the air in that freq range.

YMMV as I'm probably pretty deaf in that area now due spending hours locked in a hideously boxy rehearsal room with a synth player who loved high pitched noises :/

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1349448129' post='1826505']
Bear in mind that that BB is a relatively new cab. Not many people own them and most of them seem very happy with them. The likelihood of one coming up on the second hand market must be pretty slim...

However - someone is selling a vintage [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/188514-barefaced-vintage-and-tc-electronic-rh450/"]http://basschat.co.u...ectronic-rh450/[/url] and although there is interest in it, the prospective buyer sounds like they may be getting rid of a Compact...
[/quote]

yeh i know its a long shot i know

andy

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1349449577' post='1826521']
[left]Sounds like you need the one month trial that Alex offers :)[/left]
[left]My rigs so far have been (ignoring the ones I had before I met Basschat)[/left]

[left]Markbass LMII with 2 Aguilar GS112's[/left]
[left]Aguilar AG500 with 2 Aguilar DB112's[/left]
[left]TC Electronic RH450 + various TC cabs[/left]
[left]RH450 with 2 Bergantino HT/EX112[/left]
[left]Tecamp Puma 1000 Barefaced Big Baby T[/left]

[left]There was some overlap with those previous rigs where I had different combinations. I'm completely happy with my current rig and have had no desire to change it at all. It's monstrously loud, weighs nothing and sounds awesome. Totally a one cab solution for me.[/left]

[left]Second hand? you'll be lucky. If you are ever in Suffolk you are more than welcome to try it out.[/left]
[/quote]

thats the problem if i didnt need a cab right now id sell and get a cab from alex, but i cant really afford a new cab and also im in 3 dif bands and practice alot so cant wait 8/9 weeks for the cab.

and chris b, yeh thats kinda why im a bit worried i have read the blurb and it seems to say that it will put out similar to a 2x12, need to find a nice friendly basschatter with one down in the plymouth area.

andy

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1349436537' post='1826248']
In[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/148465-has-anyone-got-a-big-baby/page__p__1517137__hl__k50__fromsearch__1#entry1517137"] this thread[/url], the dude says in post 9 that they have low sensitivity, to the extent that he/she needs two of them! Sounds odd to me, I guess Alex can clear it up
[/quote]

Just to clarify, I do play in a very loud band. However, one is more than adequate for rehearsals and probably most pub gigs. The band also plays clubs and functions without FOH support for the bass and guitar ( Axe FX +RCF312 x2) in which the BB's produce a fantastic sound . Why do i always use two? Cause i can and its great to hear the drummer complaining that he can't hear his kit .

Everybody has different requirements and expectations , Alex is the best person for advice .

Second hand ? Yep, very quick and very lucky .

Roger

[quote name='k50' timestamp='1349454484' post='1826608']

Just to clarify, I do play in a very loud band. However, one is more than adequate for rehearsals and probably most pub gigs. The band also plays clubs and functions without FOH support for the bass and guitar ( Axe FX +RCF312 x2) in which the BB's produce a fantastic sound . Why do i always use two? Cause i can and its great to hear the drummer complaining that he can't hear his kit .

Everybody has different requirements and expectations , Alex is the best person for advice .

Second hand ? Yep, very quick and very lucky .

Roger
[/quote]

Absolutely agree :-) I wasn't dictating how loud I think your rig should be! I was just pointing out the contradictions between the previous poster saying that they were very sensitive, and you saying they were not sensitive.

Yep from the tech spec on the web site, BB's sensitivity 96db and the S12 is 102db. A different cab doing a different job ....

[color=#ff0000]BROADBAND Sensitivity
96dB - similar to most conventional 1x12"s[/color]

[color=#ff0000]Stand anywhere in the room and you will hear almost exactly the same tone - no other bass cab can achieve this![/color]

When i sound check i'll wander around and the bass does sound the same every-ware,really amazing :gas: :gas: :gas:
Also, it sounds more or less the same at every venue , slight tweek on the bass or a slight change in hand position and i'm all set to go ! B)

[IMG]http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o530/overwater1/IMAG0247.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='k50' timestamp='1349511417' post='1827137']
Yep from the tech spec on the web site, BB's sensitivity 96db and the S12 is 102db. A different cab doing a different job ....

[color=#ff0000]BROADBAND Sensitivity
96dB - similar to most conventional 1x12"s[/color]

[color=#ff0000]Stand anywhere in the room and you will hear almost exactly the same tone - no other bass cab can achieve this![/color]

When i sound check i'll wander around and the bass does sound the same every-ware,really amazing :gas: :gas: :gas:
Also, it sounds more or less the same at every venue , slight tweek on the bass or a slight change in hand position and i'm all set to go ! B)

[/quote]

that rig looks awesome!!!!!

i have been in love with the blacksmith since seeing troy sanders from mastadon using one!

andy

I exchanged quite a few e-mails with Alex when I was considering a Big Baby too. I just loved the look of them and the idea of having a complete one cab solution (I was playing mostly pub gigs at the time though). In the end, after discussing the kind of tone I was after and the kind of players whose tone I liked Alex pointed me in the direction of the S12T. It's brilliant. I've had it a couple of years now and I have suffered no cab GAS since. It might not necessarily be a better option for you but it would definitely be worth kicking the ball around with Alex before you get so besotted with the BB that you're unwilling to consider other options. Either way, I suspect you'll be a happy man. ;)

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1349519588' post='1827246']
I exchanged quite a few e-mails with Alex when I was considering a Big Baby too. I just loved the look of them and the idea of having a complete one cab solution (I was playing mostly pub gigs at the time though). In the end, after discussing the kind of tone I was after and the kind of players whose tone I liked Alex pointed me in the direction of the S12T. It's brilliant. I've had it a couple of years now and I have suffered no cab GAS since. It might not necessarily be a better option for you but it would definitely be worth kicking the ball around with Alex before you get so besotted with the BB that you're unwilling to consider other options. Either way, I suspect you'll be a happy man. ;)
[/quote]

yeh im currently talking with alex, about my past rigs etc so we'll see what alex suggests

andy

I considered the Big Baby when discussing the issue with Alex, I also looked at the Super Twelve T, but in the end we both felt the the Big Twin was the way to go, I'll be driving mine with a Crown XTi1000 power amp, 1400 watts bridged into 4 ohms, 1 cab...

I can't wait.

this is some info that i got from alex, im trying to arrange to go and try out a dubster soon! but cant find a big baby anywhere near! but im thinking the dubster is gonna be loud!!!

Big Baby = 94dB
Compact = 98dB
Dubster = 101dB

So for equal SPL (loudness) then:

300W into Big Baby = 100W into Compact = 50W into Dubster

So 300W into a Dubster would be like 1800W into a Big Baby (which
would kill it!)

not sure i entirely understand tho but didnt wanna trouble alex with pointless silly emails!

andy

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1349897394' post='1832035']
The Big Baby has tones more mids and highs, which are going to be louder in an ears sense, and the Compact will have a fair bit more of them, than the Dubster.
[/quote]

yeh i kinda get that it will need more lows so more watts to get the bb as loud as a dubster, the bit after having a think that i dnt understand is the whole 300w into a dubster is the same as 50w into the bb?

also that the bb can says its ideal wattage is between 200-600w but alex said that my headlite might struggle yet it puts out 400w and isnt quiet.

andy