Why become a member? ×

Getting to 2 ohms

sbrag

Hi

Just after some cab advice.

I currently have a Peavey Musician head which runs down to 2 ohm which I currently put though a Peavey TX 410. I was told the cab was 4 ohm but when I collected found it was 8. It sounds great but is too big and heavey for my needs / house / dodgy shoulder and dosent get the most out of the head, so have lined up a 210 tx (4 ohm) to replace it.

I have the option to get either another 210 TX or Peavey 115 Balck Widdow to go with it which I intend to use as required for extra tone / volume and would take me to 2 ohm to get the most out of my head.

The question is 2x10 or 1x15 and does the 2 2x10 sound best stacked vertically horizontally or a cab either side of the drummer.

I'm leaning towards the 2x10 due to flexability, portability and the fact that 1x15s are more common so it would be an easier swap at a later date, but would welcome any opinions from people who have had similar set ups.

Cheers for your help

Steve

Great thanks, I think I'll give that a try. I really like the sound of my 4x10 but a wonky shoulder makes it to heavey, I can't stretch to the cost of light wieght cabs at the moment and I like the idea of one 2x10 for protability and 2 of them for more noise. Do 2 2x10s get the same punch as a 4x10?

Cheers

I`d go for the 2 x 210 route. This way, you can use one cab for rehearsals, then both for gigs without having to re-eq, as chances are the 115 would change the sound a fair bit. Great sounding cabs those Peavey TX410s, but weigh the same as a small planet - or somewhere near it.

Stacking vertically is meant to produce the best sound, but let your ears decide, if you prefer them horizontally, it`s your rig/your sound/your way. I wouldn`t put one either side of the drummer though, chances are you won`t be able to hear enough of yourself on-stage, plus the potential problems as per bremens post.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1348829790' post='1818774']
If you put them one either side of the drummer you'll get cancellations at various spots on the stage. Keep them together and they'll augment each other, not fight each other.
[/quote]+1. To get the mids and highs to the drummer aim the lower cab towards him, the upper cab towards yourself.