Why become a member? ×

Phew, Someone Open A Window!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/De-Ville-Stingray-Bass-guitar-1970s-thru-body-strung_W0QQitemZ130219391560QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/De-Ville-Stingray-Ba...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

It's a late 90s / early 00s cheapo Stingray copy. Love the way the seller implies it's some 30 year old Japanese lawsuit bass but skirts round the fact the electrics seem to be knackered.

Edited by Macko1968

[quote name='Macko1968' post='191498' date='May 4 2008, 11:16 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/De-Ville-Stingray-Bass-guitar-1970s-thru-body-strung_W0QQitemZ130219391560QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/De-Ville-Stingray-Ba...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

It's a late 90s / early 00s cheapo Stingray copy. Love the way the seller implies it's some 30 year old Japanese lawsuit bass but skirts round the fact the electrics seem to be knackered.[/quote]

And he`s asking for 21 of your british pounds for it!! What a bastard!! :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='191514' date='May 4 2008, 12:10 PM']I'm sorry but I don't think it was that bad. He's not after a fortune for the thing methinks and he wasn't making any false claims.

Peter[/quote]

No, he's too clever to make false claims hence my use of the word "implies". He knows full well it's not 70s & it's not a "lawsuit" bass. Still, the market appears to have determined its actual value.

[quote name='SJA' post='191543' date='May 4 2008, 12:55 PM']dunno how it can be "better" than an OLP when it doesn't have the right pickup.[/quote]

It's probably not, but when people are trying to sell something that's not the genuine article on ebay they often make a point of berating licensed sopies (OLP/Squier/Epiphone etc.) in order to make theirs sound better. I'm amazed at the amount of listings I've seen for cheapo Precision or Jazz copies that are supposedly better than Squiers or even Mexican Fenders. Still, most of the time no one's really fooled.
FWIW OLPs are really nice, and an MM2 or MM3'll probably be my next purchase.

Edited by jono b

[quote name='Macko1968' post='191555' date='May 4 2008, 01:07 PM']No, he's too clever to make false claims hence my use of the word "implies". He knows full well it's not 70s & it's not a "lawsuit" bass.[/quote]
Ha certainly should do - this guy's a regular on a few vintage guitar forums I use!

In actual fact the DeVille brand does date back to "lawsuit" days - I've seen old Jap Strat & LP copies with the name - but this isn't one of them, there weren't any Japanese MM copies from the 70s.

I've seen a Hohner Arbor branded Ray copy, with the same pickup - this is likely a re-brand of the same thing, meaning it's possibly mid/late 80s, & probably Korean.

Jon.

i cant see the problem. he doesnt say it definatly is a 70s lawsuit bass, just he thinks it might be. what difference does it make anyway, tbh? its about the bass, not what decade its from. and if you want a 70s lawsuit bass that badly, look it up first. and of course he's going to imply its better than OLP, he wants to sell the bass. no ones going to buy it if he says its a crap bass, and its mcuh worse than an OLP. for all you know, it could even be better than the OLP. its a matter of opinion anyway, which bass is better. its not even like the starting bid was that high.

[quote name='lwtait' post='192038' date='May 5 2008, 08:43 AM']i cant see the problem. he doesnt say it definatly is a 70s lawsuit bass[/quote]

Which is why I used the word "implies", which leads me on to....

[quote], just he thinks it might be.[/quote]

On what basis?, as Bassassisn says, the seller knows his stuff so he should know that no lawsuit MM copies were made.

[quote]what difference does it make anyway, tbh? its about the bass, not what decade its from.[/quote]

I agree, the seller obviously feels it important though.

[quote]no ones going to buy it if he says its a crap bass[/quote]

I'm not suggesting he should say it's crap, he should just be honest about what it is, a generic MM copy.

Edited by Macko1968

[quote name='jono b' post='191633' date='May 4 2008, 03:38 PM']I'm amazed at the amount of listings I've seen for cheapo Precision or Jazz copies that are supposedly better than Squiers or even Mexican Fenders. Still, most of the time no one's really fooled.[/quote]

Hi Jono,

The sad fact is there are a lot of cheapo copies out there that do p*ss all over the current & previous std of Squiers & MIM's for a lot less dosh. And I'm not referring to obvious Jap stuff like Tokai,Greco,Ibanez, even Kasuga & Maya which (IMO) can easily stand up to some Fenders - thinking SX,Bach etc
My opinion only... :)

Getting back to the listing, seems pretty open & honest to me - hope some buyer gets a good deal.

Cheers

Edited by nick