Why become a member? ×

Musicman rusty pickup poles

wally8

Hello all

I have 2 x rusty poles on my MM sterling. The E string ones where i sweat the most

Now before you all tell me "there's loads of posts on this" mine seems a little weirder. Ive tried carefully removing the rust to apply the nail varnish as you all reccomend but it doesnt appear to be any silver colouring under it, just more black.

Now me being a bit of a thicky i assumed it would be silver underneath or is this just a surface coating and goes when the rust does if you dont remove it early days? They havent rusted horrendously but look a bit naff close up.

Be nice to have them all super silver again.

Thanks

Edited by wally8

Mine went rusty and black years ago. Still works fine. I've never put nail varnish or anything on t. Its what you might call a genuine relic effect. It might seem a strange concept to some but this process of Relic'ing is really straightforward, all you have to do is play the bass for a while and that's what happens!

You could try painting them silver again - I think that's what they do to them. They are magnets at the end of the day so they will be magnet coloured naturally. Look at pictures of any old guitar with exposed pole pieces - they are black. There are even companies that sell pickups that are pre-blackened. One of the reasons the older instruments sound so good is the degrading of the pickups, traditionally from years of playing. It helps the signal break up a bit.

Seriously though, if you want the bass to remain in showroom condition, don't play it. :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1347968302' post='1807249']
Does the polepiece material differ from model to model as well as the magnet material? My SR 5 had AlNiCo magnets and didn't rust at all. My Ibanez polepieces rusted like mad, so I reckon not all polepieces are created equal...
Solution? Silver nail varnish ?
[/quote]

Yeah there are all sorts of different magnets. The more traditional ferrous ones have iron in which rusts instantly. The Alnico ones don't rust, ceramic/neo ones don't either. But the old school ones, they rust!

I have a similar P/up in my 1980 Blazer. I love the black on my magnets, it's a mojo thing for me I guess.
A couple of years back i sent the bass for a service and it came back with the magnets all clean and shiny,
I was not a happy fellow :lol:
They're nice and rusty again now tho' so all good, For me it's part of the character of this Bass.

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1347989287' post='1807800']

I'm sitting with a cuppa, you will be scored out of 10, so make it good. ;)

Dan
[/quote]

Ohhhhh-kaaaaaaay. Ahem. Like any thread about pickup pole pieces this one has its pluses and minuses.

*cough* (where's that goddamn tumbleweed emoticon?)

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1348046253' post='1808401']

Hahaha! Here all week?
[/quote]

My agent informs me that - for some unaccountable reason - the management are seeking to curtail my engagement. And there's a bloke standing in the wings with a long hooked pole... I'll be back for the summer season next year.

I hate to get back to the point, but.......the poles on the Duncan MM pickup I put in my Blingray build were like that.
They cleaned up fine with a bit of careful rubbing with wet and dry (used dry) try to follow the grinding marks on the top of the pole