Why become a member? ×

Bass Player Appreciation Threads?

pobrien_ie

I'm just wondering if these have been done before. I'm always thinking wouldn't it be great to be able to come on to BC and find a thread with info, pics, videos, song credits etc of your favourite bass players. I see threads about Jaco and Jameron all the time, but they sometimes seem to become dormant in a short space of time, only for someone else tounwittingly start up a similar thread.

The bass players I admire range from Jeff Ament to Jamerson to Jaco to Mani etc etc.... Personally I'd love to be able to find a good thread with loads of the above plus opinions, critiques etc. What do you think?

As you say there are a few to particular players already, you could do a search for whoever you're impressed with & if nothing appears start one yourself. Not sure if you mean many threads, each dedicated to one specific person or not?
There is this http://basschat.co.uk/topic/178852-ok-your-top-10-bassists-of-all-time/ which appears to be close to what I think you said & there were others long ago.
So long as no-one turns it into an attack on others personal tastes or an exercise in who likes the most obscure player they're generally interesting enough.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1347896312' post='1806307']
As you say there are a few to particular players already, you could do a search for whoever you're impressed with & if nothing appears start one yourself. Not sure if you mean many threads, each dedicated to one specific person or not?
There is this [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/178852-ok-your-top-10-bassists-of-all-time/"]http://basschat.co.u...ts-of-all-time/[/url] which appears to be close to what I think you said & there were others long ago.
So long as no-one turns it into an attack on others personal tastes or an exercise in who likes the most obscure player they're generally interesting enough.
[/quote]

Not so much as per your link. I was thinking more along the lines of people setting up a, for example, "Bruce Foxton Appreciation" thread where people can post videos, photos, links etc. into one place. So it wouldn't be like an X is better Y argument. Just a thought...

I'd still say Jimmy Lea............... and Lemmy, Mark King would get a look in too, +1 for Foxton, Duck Dunn..............
[size=2]*starts taking shoes & socks off to count the other names I can think of*[/size]

[size=3]edit: so it was as per[/size]
[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1347896312' post='1806307']Not sure if you mean many threads, each dedicated to one specific person or not?[/quote]

Hmm, yeah - a valid point if it didn't end up like Planet Rock with pages of similar threads with *insert name here*.
Last thing we want is BC to start being like Talkbass!!! :facepalm:

Edited by Big_Stu

The problem is, if I went to the trouble of cutting and pasting loads of info, pics and vids of Scott Thunes, it would take me two hours and the thread would get 4 hits. Everything is out there already, if people are interested they'll find it (and that's half the fun).

And who is going to trust that dAVE_tHE_bOLLOCKS from Lowestoft who lists his interests as 'saving the Marsh Harrier, blogging the history of melamine, and sitting firmly on heritage potatoes.' has got the definitive reference collection on Robert Palmer from No Quarter?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1347918667' post='1806763']
The problem is, if I went to the trouble of cutting and pasting loads of info, pics and vids of Scott Thunes, it would take me two hours and the thread would get 4 hits. Everything is out there already, if people are interested they'll find it (and that's half the fun).

And who is going to trust that dAVE_tHE_bOLLOCKS from Lowestoft who lists his interests as 'saving the Marsh Harrier, blogging the history of melamine, and sitting firmly on heritage potatoes.' has got the definitive reference collection on Robert Palmer from No Quarter?
[/quote]
I would consult your Scott Thunes thread, so you only need three more.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1347918667' post='1806763']

[/quote]

Point taken ;) It's just personally I'd like a resource like this. For example, EssentialTension started a thread a few days ago that had some very interesting clips of Jamerson that I hadn't seen before. The trouble is that the thread will go down the pecking order, only for a similar one to be started at some point in the future, then only for someone to redirect the OP back to the original thread :blink:

I like the idea of a bassists section, but obviously it would take a lot of effort from members for it to be useful.

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1347962761' post='1807130']
Point taken ;) It's just personally I'd like a resource like this. For example, EssentialTension started a thread a few days ago that had some very interesting clips of Jamerson that I hadn't seen before. [b]The trouble is that the thread will go down the pecking order, only for a similar one to be started at some point in the future, then only for someone to redirect the OP back to the original thread :blink:[/b]

I like the idea of a bassists section, but obviously it would take a lot of effort from members for it to be useful.
[/quote]

It's a forum, that's what happens. People want to show you stuff, people go 'Fackin 'ell! Look at this' and people reply 'Wow, that's fackin wickid, is that! Thanks man!'. A wiki takes all the fun out of a forum.