Why become a member? ×

Swr golight/goliath cabs

0175westwood29

hi guys!

due to a late night gas session ive got a new amp on the way and im looking into grabbing a cab to go with it!

im selling both my existing cabs and im thinking of hunting down a 410 swr cab, im guessing that a 410 golight cab is probs out of my reach! what do they normally go for?

also does anyone have any views on these cabs? or have one near me that i can come and try once ive got my new amp.

im hoping to get about 350/400 for my cabs does that seem a reasonable budget to be able to grab what im after?

andy

At the time they came out the G ll was a bollocking cab. They used PAS speakers which really worked and the cab was rear ported and
exceptional for the day....but agree, they were heavy.
PAS speakers are a devil to replace and so check out the cab for good cones..as you will struggle to get kits for PAS in this country and SWR/Fender
aren't forthcoming on their spec... as are most makers, IME.

The G lll was also good and they are great bang for buck, IMO..as nobody wants to carry them.
I don't know about the Golight series, but the Workingman range was a budget range by comparison and nowhere near as good..again IMO.
The Golight are NEO, IIRC..but my experiment in SWR cabs with Em deltalites didn't work for me..others say it worked for them so I am the lone discenting voice
in all the people I know who tried it... I know about 4-5 guys who did it and they said they liked the results..??
Don't think any of them still have the cabs tho... :lol: but it did make them a better carry.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1347879938' post='1805981']
so the sealed cabs have a tighter low end? makes sense with what marcus plays.

the more im looking im thinking im gonna have to be silly lucky to get a golight cab doesnt seem to be many around at all! swr in general!

andy
[/quote]

Not so sure about that in that the Goliath is not a boomy cab at all..it is very tight an punchy IMO..but then I ran it with a SM400...which had the silly sub element to it...and the semi para notched out any boom anyway...but i certainly wouldn't call the Goliath ll a boomy cab.
I can understand the sealed cab giving a certain sound but boom wouldn't be the issue, IMO.

IIRC, the G ll was rear ported, for sure, and the Glll front ported.

I prefer rear ports as it happens.. but can't reall say why other than the cabs I have liked best have been rear..with the exception of GS cabs

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1347896990' post='1806323']
Bang for buck...the Goliath ll is the best cab around...IMO.
I sold mine fro £250...so I'd pay between £2-300 for one if I could carry it.

I would also have a Goliath snr, 610 as a spare, so £350 for that, maybe, is what I'd pay
[/quote]

wicked advice man! well i dnt have the weight of my amp to deal with so wouldnt mind a heavy cab. and the headlites got a nice eq so can adjust it pretty well to sort boom.

no golight owners out there?

andy

I've still got my Goliath II - love the sound, but it doesn't go out unless I'm on a big stage. Too heavy for run around gigging.

The rear port can cause boom issues if its too close to a back wall/corner...but its easily avoided once you are aware, and the benefit is a very natural low end...particularly when its driven by an amp with some real grunt. Great cab, but distinctly old fashioned and cumbersome when you compare it to most recent designs.

Just sold my Goliath 4x10 2 weeks ago! shame. Damn fine cab, seriously loud, seriously heavy. Built like a tank If you go for a i or ii. check the speakers very very carefully!! Those PAS drivers are discontinued, there's no recone kits around either.

The i was actually designed by Eden and the ii was an improvement on the original design and is widely regarded as the best one to get. After Fender took over the cost cutting inevitably began to creep in, they changed the spec too.

I still have my slightly creased PAS drivers, I ended up replacing with Eminence BP102s, while the work with the cab low down they lack a bit up at the top of the mid range.

ok guys as you can see from my sig, ive decided on the golight cabs, the only good guitar store has only got a 115 golight cab in stock!! gonna see if they can order but dnt really have the cash to go new which is a bit rubbish as no one seems to be selling these not even on the evil bay!

also as ive just joined a blues band i might see how much one of the golight 112's would be and use that! as there wouldnt be a need for the 410 in that band

andy