Why become a member? ×

Fancy basses for non fancy players...

LukeFRC

Here's a few questions: who here if they won the lottery would not maybe buy one bass?
And who here has ever. bought a bass off someone with more income than you, and more basses than you?
If people with money want to buy lots of basses, well it makes it cheaper for the rest of us and keeps smaller luthiers in business

I'm only interested in getting the right instrument for me, which means it must play incredibly well, have a tone that makes me find it irresistable to pick up and play whenever I walk past it (acoustically and amplified), it needs to be light because I have a dodgy back, and look great (to me).

I ended up with the Roscoe, because it ticks all my criteria, and I love the thing, I really do. But the minute you step away from the Fender basses (at least in look) you are exposed to a frankly bizarre fact. If you are trying to get into a band and you don't play a Fender, you are walking on think ice. I've not got into a band before now because, although I was alledgedly a perfect fit (according to them) I didnt play the 'right' bass. They even asked if I was going to be buying a proper bass soon - oh how we chuckled - which made them not a perfect fit for me anyway, but never mind eh!

Its not like the Rosoce actually looks like a fancy bass, it doesn't have an outlandish shape at all, doesn't have a really fancy top, just a plain bit of Swamp Ash with the grain slightly enhanced. Yet it simply wasn't a Fender and that didn't 'work' for them. Weird.

I wouldnt play a Fender because it doesnt fulfill my criteria. Not for any other reason, they can sound lovely (except for the B strings on the 5ers), I've never found one even close to the Roscoe's playability, and they just look a bit naff to me, and are waaayyyy too heavy as a rule.

Find the right instrumetn for you, and play what you want on it.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1348495916' post='1814304']
There is a difference for me between Fancy and Stylish. I play simple stuff on a stylish chrome Warwick :)

I don't like wood finishes at all, but the huge exception to this is the Xylem basses in the Basschat affiliates thread, they are utterly delicious!
[/quote]

Always wanted to get a chrome warwick and then go join Judas Priest :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1347652870' post='1803735']
McVie and Entwhisle aren't fancy players but played Alembic..but yeah, roots on a fancy top is a bit naff.
The basses are a bit 'look at me' so you should have a bit of a trick or two...IMO.
[/quote]

I would never put McVie and Entwistle in the same bass boat, very different players. If you listen to any live Who recordings you'll hear Entwistle playing his balls off throughout. His style was perfectly suited to Alembic, and in my opionion they probably gave him the best vehicle for his tone.

I've just read this thread with interest having just pulled the trigger on Bob Palt's rather nice ACG Finn 4.
Now I'm just your average player, I certainly don't have "chops" at all and very rarely venture up the dusty end.
I just appreciate nice things and have always wanted a ACG since whenever. I'm sure I'll get a blast just from owning such a beauty but to get to bang out a few root/fives etc etc on it as well will do me just fine. For me, I don't care what the punters think of my Bass be it a boutique jobby or my £150 Blazer. I think I'll just feel very lucky being able to own it.
B)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1348575746' post='1815370']
I would never put McVie and Entwistle in the same bass boat, very different players. If you listen to any live Who recordings you'll hear Entwistle playing his balls off throughout. His style was perfectly suited to Alembic, and in my opionion they probably gave him the best vehicle for his tone.
[/quote]

See, we differ there because I thought both had awful tones... or rather they never often came across on live recordings as good.. or not that I've heard.
And also Entwhistle let his sound get way beyond his technique so even if the bass could sound good.. he was too concerned wit hgoing for flash..and hte end result so many times were..awful. AWFUL, IMO.

I'd put a few videos up but don't want to sidetrack the thread.
I think Mcvie would have done far better with a P-bass, but there you go....

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1349166428' post='1822501']
I've just read this thread with interest having just pulled the trigger on Bob Palt's rather nice ACG Finn 4.
Now I'm just your average player, I certainly don't have "chops" at all and very rarely venture up the dusty end.
I just appreciate nice things and have always wanted a ACG since whenever. I'm sure I'll get a blast just from owning such a beauty but to get to bang out a few root/fives etc etc on it as well will do me just fine. For me, I don't care what the punters think of my Bass be it a boutique jobby or my £150 Blazer. I think I'll just feel very lucky being able to own it.
B)
[/quote] good looking bass that, let us know how you get on

The choice of bass versus ability debate will go on forever. If someone can afford something they like the look of to gain more experience on, so what if they buy it. . ?
Aspiring to be better is what got the greats where they are.
Amid this I know we are all learning but I hope that I never make a total pigs ear of a song when trying a bass. The comment above by Shiznitt, " [b]I soon followed her in the kitchen and we both laughed our arses off! There are no words in any known language (except perhaps Russian) that would describe how bad this guy played like! Think of a person trampolining and trying to play a guitar whilst wearing oven mitts trying to play Hotel California. To put it politely, he had more work to do!"[/b]
I have experienced this too and I hope I have never been this guy. Having said that the Bentley would be nice.

I have a fancy bass, but I know my limitations and try not to be a smartass when in music shops because there's always somebody capable of pickin, slappin or pluckin better than you nearby.
As for the competent smug bassists who sneer at lesser bassists instead of offering words of encouragement, remember - whether you like it or not you used to be what we now are.
Shame on you that you forgot.

• 2 weeks later...

I represent two of the COOLEST bass companies on the planet, and I own two very fancy basses, The J. Backlund Design JBD-800B in my avator, and the Brubkaker KXB-5, as seen on my Facebook page. I, however, am so NOT FANCY, the basses really don't get to sing their entire range and capability in my hands.

tom