Why become a member? ×

Back into bass playing after a long time away ...

Mick Kahn't

Hi all, looking forward to being a member and learning from the masters on here ...

Used to have a Fender Precision fretless back in the day but sold it mid 80s to my eternal regret. Played through an HH bass bin - sold that as well - and my Peavey amp.

Now looking to pick up playing again a quarter of a century or so on (just for fun) ...

Looking for advice on a decent bass to learn on ... don't want to spend a massive amount on my first one back but just after VFM. Don't want to buy a cheapo one and then in six months have to buy another.

Yamaha RBX range maybe or an Ibanez look half decent. Already been through the classifieds on here! Some lovely stuff - just mostly outta my price range methinks!

Better off buying a cheaper one new or an older one s/hand?

Cheers all

Edited by Mick Kahn't

Welcome matey!

Secondhand will generally get you a better bass for the same money as a new one!

I'd recommend the squier VM / CM series, they get a lot of good words on here and appear to be cracking basses for the money (even new!), I think there are a few on here for sale too...

Hi Mick,

Welcome to BC. Teach us newbies sumten.
As to cheap basses, what I think I've learned from here is that the Yamaha RBX is great, and beats the hull out of the Ibby in the same price range. For RBX prices (roughly), Squier do a short scale Jaguar without all the switches, whilst a 34" scale Jaguar is somewhat more expensive (here in Norway at least).
Alos have a look at a used Squier CV (or VM). Don't remember if they come in Jaguar (think they do), but at least come as Precision and Jazz.

Good luck with the chase!
Enjoy!

best,
bert

Thanks guys ... been on the classis here and elsewhere - so any around. Some lovely almost *works of art* - that's how I see some of them.

Better off with four strings to start? I think so - that RBX270J Yamaha looks decent for the money - yet the Trojan in the classis is about the same price ...

Decisions, decisions ... (and don't know enough/remember enough to make 'em)

If I compare the little I know about 25 years ago with the little I know about today - - basswise that is - - buying a cheapish bass then was a lot more risky than it is today. So at least as to quality you're quite safe when buying any of the ones proposed. We have more ideas in stock as well, so just keep sending info and asking more.

Can you remember anything about what you like as to necks? This might be the most important factor.

Do you remember anything about string distances, fretboard radius and the like?

What style(s) are you thinking of playing? IMHO not the most important issue, but important enough for some.

best,
bert

[size=5][sub]Not really local - I'm out in the sticks somewhat ...

Reading reviews, it's maybe coming down to something like the Yamaha RBX375 v the Ibanez SB300 which has a thinner neck - and my smallish hands may be better with that. String distance I have no experiece of - no idea what my old Fender was ...

My Precision had a thumb rest on I know that - seems you rest it on the pick up nowadays. Styles? Well, anything really - I'm not looking to play one style but a variety as I learn. 25+ years is a long time to catch up on as I'm finding out.[/sub]

[sub]Thanks for the replies[/sub][/size]

Edited by Mick Kahn't

Moving up pricewise, yes? I don't know those basses, but can't imagine anything but that they'll both be awesome. In that price range there's dozens upon dozens of well-working things, and Yamaha and Ibanez certainly are amongst them.

Just in case: you do realise the RBX 375 is a 5-stringer, yes? The 4 string version is called RBX 374.

From what I've read on BC, the SR 300 (assuming there was a typing error in "SB 300") has a very effective mids knob. I fail to remember what it does, but I'm sure you know by now.

Are you comfortable with the idea of two humbuckers? I like it, but the classical setup for flexibility is said to be 1 hb and 1 sc.

best,
bert

Hi,

I've started playing again last December (after 15 yrs) and I bought a new Ibanez SRA505 - I think It is out of production - from Thomann.de.
It is a 5 strings as my last bass (Warwick thumb, other times...) was a 5 strings.

The SR505 was a bit too costly for my budget and I didn't know basschat yet... - I would have probably looked at a second hand SR505 in the market place here... but I'm happy with the choice anyway.

The bass was my Christmas present, "my" = I bought it by myself as my wife looked at me as a crazy dog :-)
I now play in a band with some colleagues and we are having a lot of fun.

I suggest you to look at the SR500 series more than the SR300. You may find a good second hand for the price of a new SR300.

Just my 'two cents'.

Hi Mike!

:crigon_04:

[quote name='Mick Kahn't' timestamp='1347657085' post='1803813']
[size=5][sub]seems you rest it on the pick up nowadays.[/sub][/size]
[/quote]

I love this: You're a dude for sure! B) Yeah thumb rests seemed to have been abandoned completely. I'm sure there are soeme guys on here who know exactly [i]when [/i]and [i]why[/i] their demise arrived. There are plenty of fellas on here who have some very solid knowledge in their areas so you've come to the right place!

Be interested to see how you think things have changed in this crazy scene :)

Haha - that must sound like real old school then! The old Precision had a thumb rest. It's going to take me time to get used to it on the E string that's for sure and moving down from there. On the pick up I could cope with - but remains to be seen if I'll put a thumb rest on whatever bass I get!

It [b]IS[/b] the Yam374 and the Ibanez S[b]R[/b] - not B - fat fingers when typing (not good for an intended bassist). Although looking at the SR500 now as you seem to get a bit more for not too much more money ... and someone above suggested the extra was worth it.

Could be the one .. but open to other possibilities ... got an eye on a small Fender Mustang II amp as well ... also decent for the money. I have a small Squier 10w practice one already but does no harm to have another. You can NEVER have enough equipment (or basses) I'm learning from being on here. One of the things that has changed from years ago is that you get so much more now on and from even the most basic equipment.

Edited by Mick Kahn't

[quote name='Mick Kahn't' timestamp='1347608702' post='1802922']
Hi all, looking forward to being a member and learning from the masters on here ...

Used to have a Fender Precision fretless back in the day but sold it mid 80s to my eternal regret. Played through an HH bass bin - sold that as well - and my Peavey amp.

Now looking to pick up playing again a quarter of a century or so on (just for fun) ...

Looking for advice on a decent bass to learn on ... don't want to spend a massive amount on my first one back but just after VFM. Don't want to buy a cheapo one and then in six months have to buy another.

Yamaha RBX range maybe or an Ibanez look half decent. Already been through the classifieds on here! Some lovely stuff - just mostly outta my price range methinks!

Better off buying a cheaper one new or an older one s/hand?

Cheers all
[/quote]

I had a 30 year hiatus before returning to my love of bass guitar. I had to go through half a dozen kids, a wife, bankruptcy. But when I got my first bass it felt like it did when I first picked one up at 15! I returned home to an empty house and was almost jumping up and down with excitement. I agree with all the comments made and you have fortunately found an excellent and friendly forum with genuine advice from guys that have learned from experience. I would agree that back in the day was easier to buy quality instruments. Nowadays it seems to be awash with cheaply made stuff. But and there is a big but. You now have the internet to help you research parts and modifications to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. I decided to "make" a jazz to get into the swing. By the time I had sourced the parts I should have just gone out and bought a squier! I have an RBX that I have defretted and this is now my leaning. I am looking at upgrading to a quality fretless, just watching whats for sale so if you see something be quick or I will buy it first!

Good luck mate, welcome back its the best thing you've done! :D

[quote name='Mick Kahn't' timestamp='1347802743' post='1805147']
Although looking at the SR500 now as you seem to get a bit more for not too much more money
[/quote]

That's great. Here it costs at least twice as mu ... Oooh! Your fat fingers again! You're lusting for the SR5000E-OL. I see. Great bass I reckon. :lol:

best,
bert

Hi Mick and welcome

Like you I took a 31 year break and sold all my gear at the time which 2nd hand today would net me £18000+!!!! but in those days a guitar was priced on it's condition and not really by it's age or where it was built, good old hind sight eh.

I would recommend squires, very good for the price, Vintage basses are also worth a punt, they are well made and sound fantastic.

Cheers

[quote name='Mick Kahn't' timestamp='1347802743' post='1805147']
You can NEVER have enough equipment (or basses) I'm learning from being on here.
[/quote]

Noooooooooooo! You've just fallen into an endless and pricey pit my friend! lol (Let me know if you find a rope that I can share a grab on!) ;)

[quote name='Mick Kahn't' timestamp='1347657085' post='1803813']
[size=5][sub]My Precision had a thumb rest on I know that - seems you rest it on the pick up nowadays. Styles? Well, anything really - I'm not looking to play one style but a variety as I learn. 25+ years is a long time to catch up on as I'm finding out.[/sub][/size]

[/quote]

You can rest it wherever you want. I screwed an old ebony piano key on my jazz bass, then you can decide if you want it as a thumb rest or a tug bar (above or below, whichever you prefer) My own went below as it is a Squier Classic vibe jazz See pic underneath V

Edited by daz

Reading all the reviews I could hardly find a bad word said about the SR5xxx series. Ease of playing (so for me, re-learning) and straight-forward playability out of the box mean a lot. Presume I might have to reset a few things, action etc ... but we'll see.

Don't think I've made a bad choice and I've yet to play it - is that confidence or stupidity!?