Why become a member? ×

Warning re: Fretless Precisions

cloudburst

From a 1979 Jamerson interview; doesn't mention a fretless or any throwing incident but confirms the ownership of the Fender V:

[quote][i]How many basses do you own?[/i]
Four. I have an old German upright, a Fender 5-string, a Hagstrom 8-string, and the Precision. I've had two Precisions stolen from me, but my present one I bought new in '63. When I got it I immediately took the Fender strings off and put LaBellas on, and I've had the same strings on it ever since. You don't need to change strings all the time; you'll lose the tone. It's like a new car: the older it gets, the better it rides. [url="http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-248.html"]http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-248.html[/url] [/quote]

Interesting - presumably it was either broken in the incident, the other guys removed it so it didn't wind him up again, or it went back to the manufacturer from whom it had arrived.

Perhaps it was something they just wanted for that track and they borrowed it - according to the quote, he told them never to let him play it again, so it's hardly likely he'd refer to it in 1979 I guess.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1349098483' post='1821731']
I think this humour is too subtle for the Talkbass forum. Try that joke over there and prepare to be flamed, then shown pictures of expensive booteek fretless Precision basses in turn...
[/quote]
Speaking of which, when i signed up on there I waited for weeks, nay years and my Bass has not said a word to me yet....

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1349123927' post='1822237']
Again if this was Talkbass I would berate you for your humour then post a picture of my boutique fanned-fret 8 string basses (bonus points if I can somehow include a picture of myself wearing a Hawian shirt playing my $500,000 rig at some backyard BBQ gig).
[/quote]

and I would call you a freakin jerk and post photos of top totty at my last gig, one of whom with tasteful tats is my girlfriend.....

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1349123927' post='1822237']
Again if this was Talkbass I would berate you for your humour then post a picture of my boutique fanned-fret 8 string basses (bonus points if I can somehow include a picture of myself wearing a Hawian shirt playing my $500,000 rig at some backyard BBQ gig).
[/quote]

We have those here too, but the moderators keep them at bay most of the time :)