Why become a member? ×

bass pedalboard for drone music?

creepyjazz

Hello everybody! I play in a drone band. 2 guitars and 1 bass (that's me). Something like Earth or Sunn O))) (without metal influences).

What kind of pedals do you recommend (type/model)? I have a Precision (copy) bass and a Zvex Fuzz Factory.

Thank you for your suggestions! :)

I have a 1970s Colorsound Tonebender that works great with bass. Good for long fuzzy drone sounds, and plenty of bass tone coming through. By an amazing coincidence, I've just today seen one for sale at Northern Guitars in Leeds. He wants £100 for it, but he says its not working and would probably take £50. If you know someone who has some of the required skills to fix it, that's a bargain. And (aside from not working) its in much better nick than mine.

He means more like this:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drone_music"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drone_music[/url]

You want fuzz and delay at least! A Whammy or Boss PS-3 would be good to to add some whacky pitch shifting to your drones.

[quote name='cris the man' post='190634' date='May 2 2008, 03:36 PM']when you say drone , do you mean like a driving bass line?
compressors work a wonder when im playing 'powerpop' driving bass lines :)[/quote]
He means drone as in the style of music. Listen to Earth :huh:

+1 to everything dannbuoy said. I'd probably add something like a Headrush or DL4 for a bit of looping/layering as well.

Can I also suggest a tremolo set to a really, really low speed - so your wall of fuzzy stuff slowly crashes down on people, then fades away, then crashes down again. That might be fun - a roll of thunder under the sheets of guitar noise.

I'm doing something like that at the moment, using stereo wired bass and a blend cause I can't afford biamped rig yet. Downtuned to A, snarling dogs wah with built in overdrive intodual valve DHA pedal blended with clean into a sansamp (my sound in a backpack is current plan, due to amp borrowing). Use the wah on overdrive to do huge intro feedback, then control the generally full on to huge lows sound using volumes on the bass. Putting headstock on cab for feedback is also a recurring theme.

Ever seen the Sustainiac before? You get a pedal with an attachable resonator that attaches to your headstock, letting you get feedback/sustain without crazy loud volume. There's even a stomp switch so you can change which set of harmonics should dominate the feedback. Or they do a stealth model where your it's built into your guitar/bass, the signal from the bridge pickup controls an electromagnetic device attached to the neck pickup. Looks interesting, good for drone/noise type stuff...

[url="http://www.sustainiac.com"]www.sustainiac.com[/url]

i should do a clip of the pedal i just built its kind of based on a tonebender but with a clean blend etc would be perfect for drone been able to sustain notes for around 40 seconds when i tried it with my squire

ooo i also found a fuzz/chorus/autowah or filter combo when playing hard or harmonics gives crazy feedback.

not really drone style but the best pedal i have used (admitedly that is not many) for getting weird noises including wah and octave is the Digitech BSW.

Edited by d-basser

I use my Deep Impact synth going into my envelope filter with the envelope opening (or closing) really slowly for that massive drone/wall of sound... gotta be careful with those synth sounds though, otherwise it can sound like utter cheese!

[quote name='d-basser' post='191389' date='May 3 2008, 11:38 PM']ooo i also found a fuzz/chorus/autowah or filter combo when playing hard or harmonics gives crazy feedback.
not really drone style but the best pedal i have used (admitedly that is not many) for getting weird noises including wah and octave is the Digitech BSW.[/quote]
Stick a high gain clean boost in front of the BSW and it goes crazy. It ends up tracking noise from the pickups which changes as you move around in front of the amp, twiddling the knobs produces some good sounds. Turn the sensitivity right up and the filter triggers over and over like a stuttering effect. Then when you play a note the noise stops and your note plays, then as the note fades the random noise washes back in. Put chorus/delay after it and you're in business. I sold mine but loved playing with it like this and miss it now!

Edited by dannybuoy