Why become a member? ×

Decorating your bass, anyone done it?

4 Strings

Not all paint is good on guitars and a lot of paints will react with your sweat and the heat from your hand when playing, it will ruin the feel of the neck on the back and clog up the strings on the front as it comes off. Nitro and poly varnish used for guitars sets extremely hard, most paint doesn't. Look around at custom paint jobs on guitars they all leave the neck alone for a reason...

The only one you might find with a painted neck is Jack Bruce's Fender VI - which was never used after it was painted except for tv shows where he was miming!

Its your bass though, you can paint the neck if you like. But don't say nobody warned you not to do it :)

This is how 'Marv' (the Marvel Splatter bass came out).

The actual material is quite thick and is really meant for car bonnets and so on.The flat area front and back are pretty easy to do, but horns and sides are a complete nightmare and I still haven't got it perfect. It does look a lot better than it did before though.

I think I had a 1.3 metre square of the graphic which is a lot, but then you have to pick which part of the design you want to go where. A proper paint job (even a plain one) would have cost hundreds, but this was under £50. Be warned it's really frustrating if you're not artistic or used to handling this stuff (like me!).

Edited by 7string

[quote name='7string' timestamp='1347666564' post='1803951']
This is how 'Marv' (the Marvel Splatter bass came out).

The actual material is quite thick and is really meant for car bonnets and so on.The flat area front and back are pretty easy to do, but horns and sides are a complete nightmare and I still haven't got it perfect. It does look a lot better than it did before though.

I think I had a 1.3 metre square of the graphic which is a lot, but then you have to pick which part of the design you want to go where. A proper paint job (even a plain one) would have cost hundreds, but this was under £50. Be warned it's really frustrating if you're not artistic or used to handling this stuff (like me!).
[/quote]

look s very funky - did you use the hairdyer?
thats why i printed loads more than you would need so you had spare to practice with (was about 2 sq m iirc) :D

Edited by steve-bbb