Why become a member? ×

Oh no it isn't!

pst62

Like most people here I'm getting fed up these "Relic'd" basses. The one thing that they usually miss as with the one here, is the neck and fretboard are remarkably new looking without a mark or sign of ware?

But hey, I'm no expert, if I paid a lot of dosh for a bass I'd look after it thus making the resale value better than some beat up crap.

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1347014038' post='1795950']
In the end it really doesn't matter wot Fender did and didn't do regarding skunk stripes, as it has no real bearing on the fact that
the bass in my OP is well dodgy, and even if it did have a skunk stripe the fact remains that the headstock is NOT the right shape
to be a 90's MIJ Squier, end of.
[/quote]
Yep no arguments here. The Silver Series had a very tight radius on the corner next to the E tuner - this one doesn't.

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1347030212' post='1796237']
But hey, I'm no expert, if I paid a lot of dosh for a bass I'd look after it thus making the resale value better than some beat up crap.
[/quote]

Years ago, when I bought a second-hand Precision (in the days when they were only made in the USA), the one that was the best player was also the tattiest, hence the cheapest. I suppose nowadays it would be the most expensive.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1347065776' post='1796739']
We're actually talking about tight radii on the headstocks of copy basses! Stop the world - I want to get off!

CB
[/quote]
It's not just the tight radius, it's the whole headstock shape! A dead give away that indicates that this is not the genuine article,
CB you seem to be having some difficulty coping with the fact that some of us care?
Tell you wot mate, I'd rather bring attention to it than possibly read a thread in a week or So, with a title along the lines of
" Guys I Think I've Been Ripped Off"
Just a thought, you're not the bloke selling it are yer? ;)

Whether its Warwick with its 'custom aged green chrome body' or that buffoon with an electric sander off ebay. They're both selling to the same dolts.

Why would anyone prefer a knackered looking instrument, over a brand new one I cannot even comprehend ???

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1347120235' post='1797182']
How very dare you! :-)
Thought you might spot my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek.

CB
[/quote]

I did mate, but I thought I'd just play you along a little hence the ;) :)

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1347181848' post='1797650']
I did mate, but I thought I'd just play you along a little hence the ;) :)
[/quote]

Ah, no worries. I really don't get the whole roadworn thing at all. I can ALMOST understand companies reproducing the wear/patina characteristics of a small number of specific iconic artist instruments I guess - Francis Rossi green telecaster might be an example and I'm not even sure if Fender have reproduced it. Jaco's Jazz would be another. But just beating an instrument up randomly (manufacturer or other person) - I don't get.

And for all the discussion - I agree you're right to be pointing it out where you think a bass is being misrepresented to poor unwitting buyers.

CB

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1346884846' post='1794616']
Hmmm...I had a Silver Series Squire J that had a rosewood fingerboard and a skunk stripe. Those models were built by the Jap's in the early 90's too I think.
[/quote]

My '92 Silver series jazz has a stripe too. My first ever bass. Still love it!

Well I got no reply from the bastard when I quizzed him about it, and no action was taken by Greed bay when I reported it last week!
now some poor f****r has just unwittingly shelled out £275 for a piece of tool shed abused Chinese made sh*te.