Why become a member? ×

Warwick Dolphin Pro I (5-er)

lowdowner

So, now I've actually seen DiMarco's 5 string Dolphin on here, and reading some reviews, I'm thinking of ending my 5 string bass search with a warwick dolphin pro i 5 string fretted.

I'm nowhere even near being a pro so maybe I don't deserve such a thing?

Anyway, anyone got any experience with these lickable basses (there I go again, slightly pervy huh)? :gas:

Any comments, advice to alternatives, encouragement really appreciated!

I've owned x2 Pro I - 4 strings and I have to say that my '89 4 string fretted bass had a nut width as wide as some 5 string basses. However, it was a flattened profile so not a handful, I'm not sure how wide the nut on a 5er is but I'd certainly have a try of one before you commit to buying. I presently have a Pro I CS fretless and the nut width is NOT as wide as the older one but the profile is also different (more squared off shoulders). The Dolphin looks like it will be large and unwieldy but they aren't, they are very comfy to play and have a very distinct tone.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1346609408' post='1791176']
I've owned x2 Pro I - 4 strings and I have to say that my '89 4 string fretted bass had a nut width as wide as some 5 string basses. However, it was a flattened profile so not a handful, I'm not sure how wide the nut on a 5er is but I'd certainly have a try of one before you commit to buying. I presently have a Pro I CS fretless and the nut width is NOT as wide as the older one but the profile is also different (more squared off shoulders). The Dolphin looks like it will be large and unwieldy but they aren't, they are very comfy to play and have a very distinct tone.
[/quote]

talking of distinctive tones, wheres that video of a streamer stage one you meantioned doing? I'm thinking it will be back at work on monday and we'll all have to wait till half term!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1346609976' post='1791186']
talking of distinctive tones, wheres that video of a streamer stage one you meantioned doing? I'm thinking it will be back at work on monday and we'll all have to wait till half term!
[/quote]

LOL Will see what I can do now. ;)

I'd record the Dolphin but mine has got OLD flats on and doesn't sound 'typical' Warwick just now!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1346610136' post='1791192']
LOL Will see what I can do now. ;)

I'd record the Dolphin but mine has got OLD flats on and doesn't sound 'typical' Warwick just now!
[/quote]

oh go on... do you do requests? :) Maybe a bit of Meters, or (at a push) Santana?

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1346610296' post='1791193']
oh go on... do you do requests? :) Maybe a bit of Meters, or (at a push) Santana?
[/quote]

Do I look like a 'Jukebox'... it's worse than the heckles at a bad pub gig; 'Do something we know!' 'Do you do The Hunter?' :lol:

I've started trying to do some recording on our little camera but the first 30 second clip that I did is going to take an hour to upload to youtube! :blink:

Best you spend the next hour or two constructively, go listen to some Meters/Santana... that way you won't be disappointed when I don't do any! :P

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1346612182' post='1791229']
Do I look like a 'Jukebox'... it's worse than the heckles at a bad pub gig; 'Do something we know!' 'Do you do The Hunter?' :lol:
[/quote]

well, I'd accept 'mustang sally' at a push - I don't want to push you out of your comfort zone! :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

Ah! Now I've just realised that my first attempt/trial was with my Streamer 5th Anniversary bass and the file is busy uploading from the memory card in the PC rather than from the hard drive (learned a lesson here); hence I'm going to have to wait 30mins for that to finish before I can retrieve the memory card and do the Dolphin and SSI. At least I know that other than the upload time this can be done relatively easily. :D

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1346615232' post='1791291']
I owned a custom Dolphin Pro I 5 and was simply a work of art and an incredible tone monster. IMO that model is in the top league of best 5 string basses that money can buy. Miss mine terribly and one of the biggest regrets I have letting that one go.
[/quote]

But - and this is a genuine question - you have *loads* of basses and equipment, why don't you get another one if it's that good? Are the new ones not as good as the old, or...?

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1346615351' post='1791295']
But - and this is a genuine question - you have *loads* of basses and equipment, why don't you get another one if it's that good? Are the new ones not as good as the old, or...?
[/quote]

Good question. Back then I was a working musician under contract and I bought that particular bass out of my advance funds along with a couple of other Warwick basses. Couldn't possibly afford to buy one now. After my deal folded I was broke and I had to sell that bass along with 3 other Warwicks I had (apart from the Thumb which I still have today).

The Dolphin I had was built in '04 and was quite different to a usual model. Mine had a walnut body with a quilt maple top, a 5 piece maple and ovangkol neck. To be truthful, I ordered that bass on a gamble as I never even played a regular model before that. Over the years I have played basses made from the early 90's up to present day. Earlier basses don't have the valute on the back of the neck just below where the headstock is angled. I actually prefer that as I find the valute size on Warwick necks a bit too big and a tad uncomfortable when playing around the notes on the 1st fret. Mine had a valute which didn't bother me at the time, but when I play one without is feels better to me.

Tone wise, Warwicks sound great from any decade of production IMO. That has never changed.

Hi, first off the 5str has a regular width nut. 4str dolphins indeed have a very wide nut, 44mm. This takes a little getting used but I can assure you it isn't any problem.

Now here's what a 5 string Dolphin Pro1 with MEC pickups sounds like directly into the soundcard from a D.I. box, not any EQ going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p3Z6beTinc

This bass sounds absolutely blinking amazing ! I remember playing a four string one of these not too long after they came out and the neck did indeed feel huge, but I have got pretty small hands, and some people like a big neck, I suppose. Were it not for that I probably would have bought it on the spot. Then I nearly bought a new Thumb Bass where the neck felt fine but I couldn't live with the balance and playing position on a strap . What I love about the best Warwick basses is summed up in the sound of this Dolphin ; they have got that modern hi-fi sound but don't sound too polished and polite like some modern hi-tech instruments. They have still got plenty of guts and a delicious edge to the sound that ,to me , is very appealing. I would be interested to know if this is an older model with the boire body and wenge neck. Whatever it is , it sounds great. I just wish I had bought a new custom Warwick when they were a bit more affordable.

Edited by Dingus

Mine is a 1995 Boire + Wengé/Zebrano Pro 1 sporting MEC preamp and pickups. I also own a 1989 4str Pro1 with Bartolini pickups which sounds more modest but has that sweet Bartolini midrange which punches through the densest of mixes.

This here is the current incarnation of the five string Pro1, which does sound a lot like my 1995 model.

http://youtu.be/d8EqLuL8Irs

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1346622604' post='1791395']
Good question. Back then I was a working musician under contract and I bought that particular bass out of my advance funds along with a couple of other Warwick basses. Couldn't possibly afford to buy one now. After my deal folded I was broke and I had to sell that bass along with 3 other Warwicks I had (apart from the Thumb which I still have today).

The Dolphin I had was built in '04 and was quite different to a usual model. Mine had a walnut body with a quilt maple top, a 5 piece maple and ovangkol neck. To be truthful, I ordered that bass on a gamble as I never even played a regular model before that. Over the years I have played basses made from the early 90's up to present day. Earlier basses don't have the valute on the back of the neck just below where the headstock is angled. I actually prefer that as I find the valute size on Warwick necks a bit too big and a tad uncomfortable when playing around the notes on the 1st fret. Mine had a valute which didn't bother me at the time, but when I play one without is feels better to me.

Tone wise, Warwicks sound great from any decade of production IMO. That has never changed.
[/quote]

Were/ are you the fellow who was in a video for Warwick checking out some basses either at the factory or backstage before a gig, I can't remember which ? It's just that the maple Dolphin rings a bell in my distant memory, and it was a fair-haired British guy from a signed band playing it, I seem to recall.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1346773691' post='1793026']
Mine is a 1995 Boire + Wengé/Zebrano Pro 1 sporting MEC preamp and pickups. I also own a 1989 4str Pro1 with Bartolini pickups which sounds more modest but has that sweet Bartolini midrange which punches through the densest of mixes.

This here is the current incarnation of the five string Pro1, which does sound a lot like my 1995 model.

[media]http://youtu.be/d8EqLuL8Irs[/media]
[/quote]

This new Dolphin sounds great as well , but overall I prefer the look and sound of yours. I prefer the feel of wenge to ovangkol, too

I had a Dolphin SN4 - absolutely beautiful to look at, played like a dream but I couldn't settle on a "sound" - there wrere 2 or 3 which I felt were "[i]The[/i] sound" but, as I said, I just couldn't settle. The 26 fret neck was also a bit of an issue...

I must say though, the Afzelia body was a beautiful piece of timber, the body shape gives near perfect balance and the neck profile on the one I had felt like it was designed around my hands...I'm 5"10 so don't have huge hands..

The problem you're going to have is finding one for sale - when they do come up they can be snapped up really quick - there's a 4 string on ebay currently:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120970503823?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_698wt_1257"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120970503823?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_698wt_1257[/url]

..if this doesn't satisfy the GAS I'd post an ad on the Warwick forum but there's still no guarentee when something will come up...

happy hunting

I have been on the Warwick forum for a couple of years now and haven't seen anyone else with a five string Pro1 in there besides One fella who owns a broadneck bartolini fit pro1 from 1991. This sounds a lot less growly then the normal five string though... I owned a broadneck fretless dolphin which I flogged a couple of weeks ago.

Here's some eyecandy.