Why become a member? ×

Graphite necked Status Energy?

cocco

Hi Guys, I've been offered a graph necked energy 4 bass in a trade. Just after some opinions/info really. It would be a straight swap for a fender classic 50s p bass.

I am after something modern, ergonomic light and with a punchy focused tone. I was originally after a Warwick $$ but how often do you get a graphite necked bass this cheap? I'm pretty tempted by it but having never played one what can I expect? Also what would you value it at?

Thanks

Ash

Edited by cocco

I used to have a 5-string version. Yes, you'll get a more modern Jazz Bass kinda sound out of it - not only that - I seem to remember getting a good Rickenbacker style klang out of it as well. Very underrated basses - its more pricey brethren take the limelight, sure, but most definitely worth a punt.

I sold a wooden necked Energy about 18 months ago and regretted it right away! It was a really nice bass and as there aren`t a great many of them about, people in other bands used to ask about it and comment on it`s sound.

I can only imagine that the graphite necked ones would be better. Worth the swap I would say as I don`t think they will drop in value.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1346508934' post='1790054']
Sounds promising so far. How do they feel to play? Are they sculpted or slab bodies? Also being walnut are they heavy?
[/quote]

Walnut bodied ones are usually quite light and have a sweet warm sound, plus the bite, note definition and sustain of the graphite neck.

Should have a very slim neck like a 60s Jazz bass, nice and fast to play. The early Energy Matrix had the standard classic Status body shape, the later ones had a slightly more rounded shape but both are comfortable to play.

The only area the Energy Matrix was maybe lacking was in the preamp department, not sure what yours will have as the circuitry varied over the years.

Should be a great bass!

It's got the basic 3 knob preamp, but I'm not too bothered about that. I'm a plug and play sort of guy, I tend to fiddle if there are too many controls. So aslong as its got some balls I'll be happy. The seller though says the neck profile is wide at the nut and with a fairly narrow radius, D shaped sort of and it's an S1 shaped one with jazz pickups.

I remember playing a couple of these when they came out 20 years ago. If I remember correctly, the one with the three knob preamp had jazz bass pickups, a bolt-on neck and the tone control was a of notched - filter kind of affair that was actually very useful. The other one I played may well have been neck-thru ( my memory is a little uncertain on this), with bass and treble cut and boost on the preamp. Both basses had fairly basic solid walnut bodies, and they were an affordable entry into the world of graphite necked basses. I do remember that I couldn't be certain of what the bridge was made of, and that ( quite understandably at the price) it might have been made of a more budget alloy rather than the usual brass affair on more upmarket Status basses.
i do remenber that there was " rival" bass player around town who had the three -knob bolt -on version and I saw him use it on numerous gigs through a Trace Elliot and it had a great sound that really cut through.
As for value , I seem to remember the model you are looking at them retailing for around the £600-700 mark at the time ( I couldnt swear to the accuracy of this -it's getting to be a long time ago!), and in those days Status were pretty widely distributed in shops so you could get some good deals on these at shops like Carlsboro retail. If it was me doing the deal , depending on condition ect., I would think it was a good trade if you fancy something a bit different.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1346502214' post='1789965']
I have 2. Awesome things.
[/quote]

And I know where he got one of them !!!

I don't recall it being heavy apart from the time the schallers gave way and it dropped on my foot , giving the punters of York a right laugh. Great instrument.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1346513225' post='1790127']

And I know where he got one of them !!!

I don't recall it being heavy apart from the time the schallers gave way and it dropped on my foot , giving the punters of York a right laugh. Great instrument.
[/quote]

The one I got from you has been my main instrument ever since! The other has a shiny new fretless neck on it that Rob built for me.

I will be buried with them!

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1346510833' post='1790094']
[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/230/dsc00077kd2.jpg/"]http://imageshack.us...sc00077kd2.jpg/[/url] this is the pic I was given for reference.
[/quote]

I think that one has the active circuit that gives a pleasing bass boost all the time, with adjustable treble cut or boost. With the graphite neck it should be a good 'un!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1346530167' post='1790357']
The one I got from you has been my main instrument ever since! The other has a shiny new fretless neck on it that Rob built for me.

I will be buried with them!
[/quote]

That really makes me happy !

Here it be avec moi at a local festival

hadn't spotted this thread til this morning - I'm sure you'll be happy once it's plugged in too
as discussed I've got the headless version too and a couple of Status replacement neck for P and MM basses, but the one on that Energy is the sexiest of em all, it's been a lovely thing to own, and deserves more playing that it's had recently from me
I'm reverting to old skool P's more and more so your ex is a welcome addition to the family

pleasure doin business

It's American cherry btw, not walnut