Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help with Fender Precision

Neil H

Can anyone advise me on the type of Precision Bass to look out for? I prefer a very wide and chunky necked bass. Tried Jazz & T'bird but find the necks way too thin, tried a couple of Precisions and a 4003 and they felt much better.

I presume I am looking for one that has a neck with a width of 1.75in at the nut?

Any help with the best model to look out for would be appreciated. I realise trying out is best but it will help narrow down the serach and wasted travel.

Cheers

Neil

[quote name='Neil H' post='189185' date='Apr 30 2008, 08:02 PM']I presume I am looking for one that has a neck with a width of 1.75in at the nut?[/quote]

Not necessarily Neil. Current Precision neck widths are 1.625in and have been for quite a while. Older 70s Precisions have a 1.750 neck width. The older ones I have had have also had a much shallower thickness so felt thinner back to front, so don't rule this out.

For starters, I'd try out a current model Precision (within the last ten years or so) and decide whether you prefer it wider or thinner and also consider how deep the neck is. FWIW, I also prefer the Precision neck to a Jazz neck. My 4003 feels more Precision like than Jazz like, but it still feels a touch thinner than any of my Precisions.

Have I confused matters?

Steve

Thanks guys.

Steve, no you haven't confused matters, the most comfortable Precision I tried was a 70's, the width was great, I didn't like the new model I tried a little later. Didn't notice the thickness so much as I was comparing directly with T'bird neck at the time, so it just felt bigger!!

Soulfinger, thanks, big difference in the prices. Is the 57 worth the extra? I can afford it if it is worth it.

Cheers

Neil

[quote name='Neil H' post='189185' date='Apr 30 2008, 08:02 PM']Can anyone advise me on the type of Precision Bass to look out for? I prefer a very wide and chunky necked bass. Tried Jazz & T'bird but find the necks way too thin, tried a couple of Precisions and a 4003 and they felt much better.

I presume I am looking for one that has a neck with a width of 1.75in at the nut?

Any help with the best model to look out for would be appreciated. I realise trying out is best but it will help narrow down the serach and wasted travel.

Cheers

Neil[/quote]

There's a man after my own heart :) . I bought my Fullerton '57 reissue sepcifically for the 1.75 neck. You can pick up Jap versions for £300-400 second hand and the extra most definitely IS worth it if a dfat neck is what you're after. Alternatively, buy a Warmoth or Allparts neck with a 1.75 nut and build your own Precision. Make sure that you know what you're getting into with a 1.75, the reason they're rarer is that they appeal to fewer players than do 1.625s or 1.5s. Play a few long rehearsals or gigs with a bass with a fat neck one before spending a lot of money, or you might be selling a nice Fender to me in a few months time :huh:
All the best
Chris

[quote name='Neil H' post='189285' date='Apr 30 2008, 11:01 PM']Soulfinger, thanks, big difference in the prices. Is the 57 worth the extra? I can afford it if it is worth it.[/quote]

Hm... I have played a couple of Classics and two 57 Reissues. Personally, I wouldn´t pay that much more for the US version. The Classics are great basses and very well made. The US reissues may have a slightly more complex, richer sound - but in the end (= band situation), these subtleties will probably not be audible anyway...

BTW I opted for the best of both worlds IMHO, a MIJ 57. These have slightly slimmer necks though.

I'd go for a mexi classic. i used to have one and didn't get on with the neck width, but otherwise it was lovely. I've got some sound clips of mine live through a trace if you want to hear what one sounds like in a band situation.