Why become a member? ×

What is the sound of a Warwick?

D.I. Joe

I've just had a great old ditty on the Thumb 5 string broad neck I received this week. What a great sounding bass. It's my second Thumb (the first was a Thumb 4 string). If anything, it sounds even more outrageous than the 4 string did, as this has the two big MEC humbuckers at the bridge, whereas the Thumb was a a slanted singlecoil arrangement.

This bass just sounds like a slegehammer. That is the only way I can describe. The low end and midrange punch is startling, it is the absolute in terms of presence. Thats why I love using Warwick basses live. Sound engineeers love them too. Unlike some basses that can be difficult to mix in, the Warwick always stands out, it always fills the bottom end in nicely and is never harsh or offensive. And unlike some basses, the bottom end isn't boomy or floppy. It's tight and articulate; you really have control of it with your fingers meaning you can get your playing really tight and accurate.

I subscribe to the Anthony Jackson school of thought, that the bass should be viewed as an equal to the guitar. In that, it isn't just a root note plodder. It should be used to create rhythm and harmony but also melody. To that end, I like to have basses that I would be happy to listen to on their own, or high up in the mix. Because I tend to play melody lines, some chords, root notes and rhythm parts, comping etc etc. So my bass needs to sound good on it's own as well as in the mix, and this is something that Warwick have always delivered on for me (I've had three now).

Plus, there really is nothing else that sounds like a Thumb.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1346415825' post='1788958']

I subscribe to the Anthony Jackson school of thought, that the bass should be viewed as an equal to the guitar. In that, it isn't just a root note plodder. It should be used to create rhythm and harmony but also melody. To that end, I like to have basses that I would be happy to listen to on their own, or high up in the mix. Because I tend to play melody lines, some chords, root notes and rhythm parts, comping etc etc. So my bass needs to sound good on it's own as well as in the mix, and this is something that Warwick have always delivered on for me (I've had three now).

Plus, there really is nothing else that sounds like a Thumb.
[/quote]

+1 for this

I'm just starting to experiment with playing some of the melody - or melodic harmonies - with my thumb and it's awesome for being heard in the mix. I'd like a 5 stringer, but as I've already got 2 of the 4 stringers, I think the missus would shoot me :)

As much as I liked my 4 string, and it was a fantastic bass, I am really loving having a low B again. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but the only other low B strings I've heard that can touch a Warwick Thumb are on Status and Alembic basses! When I was growing up, the Thumb 5 string was a hugely aspirational bass.

The broadneck option I find a bit odd though. It was quite expensive when ordering a bass new IIRC, but it doesn't feel that different in terms of size, weight or balance than a normal Thumb 5 string. But someone obviously felt enough of a difference to pay the extra dough...

I have been a Warwick lover for many years! I really liked the quality build of the instruments and it has always been consistent between different models. It is hard to describe the sound, but I think it is quite distinctive. A few people have mentioned the growl, or gnarly vibe and I've heard someone mention on a different post that it is quite hi-fi. Never really thought about it being the latter, but after trying some different makes of basses lately I think that is good observation. I personally find it is a very good all round fingerstyle bass and quite a tight sounding instrument too. I don't think they (well the thumb at least) have a smooth round tone naturally, although amp eq can do marvellous things. I've always thought the sound was organic and could non offensively fit into most genres of music. I also found that my thumb recorded very well and clear. The one downside I tended to experience with the Thumb was that the slap sound didn't work well live. In the house without the rest of the band, the slap sounded sharp and aggressive. But when playing live, if I switched from fingerstyle to slap, I always felt I lost a volume and bass tone. Sometimes, it sounded a bit too clangy (is that even a word?).

Just to add, a few years back I was quite obsessed with Warwick (mainly because of my good experience with them), but these days I am definitely branching out. Am definitely digging my Fender Jazz and very much interested in a Stingray (which I have rightly, or wrongly thought had some similarities to some warwick sounds, or rather vice versa).

I'm a self confessed Warwick fan - always liked their basses, and learning to play bass as a teenager they were always the basses that I would tell myself "One day I'll have one of those" - well, now I've currently got:

Corvette Hot Rod 5'er - great Warwick tone but very, very, very bright - tonally and visually
Dolphin Pro 2 - stonking bass, definitely has the Warwick growl
Corvette Bubinga - typical Warwick with funky midrange
Fretless Corvette Proline - great passive fretless mwah sound

Although my go to bass at the moment is my Spector Euro 5 LX ! :ph34r: ......

Completely agree with Warwickhunt - the classic Warwick tone is the Stuart Zender sound on the early Jamiroquai albums