Why become a member? ×

Fender Longhorn Jazz (boner Bass)

Fitzy73

The top horn is longer than standard. Apparently it makes the bass balance better. Have a look here: [url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/longhornjazz.htm"]http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/longhornjazz.htm[/url]

Edited by Hutton

For a couple of years in the '90s they made the Jazz with 22 frets, so the lower cutaway was further up the body and consequently the upper cutaway was brought further back too. That's what they call the 'longhorn' jazz now. I had one in the mid '90s and it was the worst bass I've ever owned.

Edited by thisnameistaken

I saw one for sale recently and was intrigued so I looked them up. The comments above pretty much describe them. The interesting thing I read is that they're not considered collectors items, despite the limited run, and that they actually fetch less than a standard US Jazz.

I had one about 16yrs ago and it was a fantastic bass. I did mod it though. I put Barts in it (kept it passive) and replaced the scratch plate with a mirrored one. Always used to turn heads.

The build quality was pretty good, but the only thing I would be critical of was the balance. It did tend to neck dive a little bit.

These basses are very collectible in good condition and I wish I kept hold of mine now, so if the price is right I would go for it.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1345893846' post='1782813']
I had one about 16yrs ago and it was a fantastic bass. I did mod it though. I put Barts in it (kept it passive) and replaced the scratch plate with a mirrored one. Always used to turn heads.[/quote]

I modded mine too, but not through choice. Replaced the noisy Fender coils with active EMGs, then replaced the bridge because the E saddle kept losing height (I kept an allen key in my pocket during gigs it was that bad), eventually replaced the neck when it twisted, the only Fender bits left were the body and the pickguard and that's probably because nothing really CAN go wrong with those.