Why become a member? ×

Guide to microphone positioning

charic

Well my dissertations written, its on "microphone positioning and the effects it has on the frequency content of sound". Thought it may be of interest to a few of the engineers on here. Some of the writing may well make you think of microphone positioning in a whole new way, The rest will work as a quick and easy guide for "that particular sound" recording.

PM me your email if you want a copy and ill email the pdf across.

Rik

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='189925' date='May 1 2008, 07:32 PM']As someone who has spent time with his head in a bass drum to find the sweet spot, yes I reckon a copy would be useful. PM sent.[/quote]

Just a tip, microphones dont pick up the same as what you hear. Best method if trying to find the "sweet spot" headphones and microphone in hand. :)

Opinions on the work would be nice

[quote name='charic' post='190608' date='May 2 2008, 03:12 PM']Just a tip, microphones dont pick up the same as what you hear. Best method if trying to find the "sweet spot" headphones and microphone in hand. :huh:[/quote]
The b*ggers on the desk only told me that afterwards. :) I was young(er), full of rash confidence and the victim of one of those tricks old lags pull on the easily swayed. The good thing was that on this occasion I was able to tell em where to stick the mic. Literally.

Having had time to digest the content, I can immediately see where you were going with this project. Easy to understand and grasp, and honest in the assessment of it's success. In some ways the perfect experiment, leaving scope for further development whilst showing promise in that achieved so far.

The initial aim is a really good one - to show how preservation of the original signal might be aided by careful mic technique. This is a vastly neglected area, and careful placement can give benefits out of all proportion to the short time taken in being careful. In decades gone past it was one of the only ways of adjusting the sound, and the lessons seem to have been lost. Hopefully this will help revive interest in attention to detail in mic placement. It has with me.

Excellent.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='192431' date='May 5 2008, 07:06 PM']Having had time to digest the content, I can immediately see where you were going with this project. Easy to understand and grasp, and honest in the assessment of it's success. In some ways the perfect experiment, leaving scope for further development whilst showing promise in that achieved so far.

The initial aim is a really good one - to show how preservation of the original signal might be aided by careful mic technique. This is a vastly neglected area, and careful placement can give benefits out of all proportion to the short time taken in being careful. In decades gone past it was one of the only ways of adjusting the sound, and the lessons seem to have been lost. Hopefully this will help revive interest in attention to detail in mic placement. It has with me.

Excellent.[/quote]

You just made my morning :) hopefully potential employers will think the same of my work :huh: I actually plan to carry on such work as although its tedious and boring... makes it seem worthwhile

Received - many thanks.

You've done a cracking piece of work there, very interesting. :)

Recording this weekend, so will try a few of the techniques.

Good luck with your career plans in this area

Edited by nick

Thankyou very much :) it means a lot it really does. I really hope I manage to get the ball rolling in the Audio Music Tech area of my life. Its not an easy industry though. I hope you find it very useful :huh:

PM'd, sounds like an interesting read, and something which will be useful to everyone on this site who records. i finished my music tech degree last summer but went the acoustic design route instead of recording. Haven't really played with mic placement on bass as i usually DI due to me living above a medical practice. when i get to open the taps, a U87 in omni usually does me fine, but i'd love to read your thoughts on it.

J

A U87 is indeed a brilliant microphone as is pretty much any neumann. However ive found that condenser microphones SOMETIMES (depending on the amp) pick up too much detail, this is a particular problem with neumanns.

My friend was recording a piano with a neumann tlm103 INSIDE an upright piano, it picked up the sound of the clock in the room :S oh and people outside the room

no kidding about the clock, i've had similar experiences with a pair of neumanns through a DACS Clarity Micamp. Just read the first 8 pages - seems to me you could have built an application for all your FFT needs in Max MSP. The aims of the project are well thought out and the differentiation strategy you focus on from the start shows great promise and it looks like i have an interesting read ahead of me. It also shows great potential to be built on at a higher level - MMus or phD (i aim to do mine in a couple of years) - with the ability set up scientific experiments as a definite plus-point which will garner favour with academic markers. I look forward to reading the rest, and will hopefully give you some more useful feedback!!

J