Why become a member? ×

Best giggable combo?

Amj8831

Folks, I'd appreciate some advice. I've moved up to Manchester, leaving my current amp, a TE Boxer 65 back in Watford. Unfortunately my mum's moving so it can stay there and at any rate I need an amp with me up north because I'm planning to start playing again. I don't have a car so I'm debating selling the TE and using it to fund a new amp instead of lugging it up on the train.

My problem is that I havent bought an amp for years! Any thoughts on what I could go for? I need something thats fairly versatile although I'm not looking top of the range, and im also after something fairly compact (but giggable or else expandable via another cab). The boxer was ok but felt like it sounded a bit wooly I thought. I'm looking to keep it reasonably cheap (whatever that means!). Or would people advise me to keep hold of what i have cos I'll struggle to do better?

Cheers guys, sorry for the vagueries but hopefully you'll be able to give me some pointers.

First question is:

What's your budget?

I spent a good bit of time looking for the best combo I could that was around £1k & ended up with the Markbass CMD102P. You can get them 2nd hand for @£600 (give or take £100).

There's loads of good combos to suit just about every budget & going 2nd hand will get you more bang for buck.

Yes, state budget to get recommendations to suit. If £600ish, I`d recommend a 2nd hand Markbass, am yet to hear one being used where i dodn`t think it was awesome.

If £300ish, the TC Electronic BG250 looks good - integrated tuner, tubetone, 250 watts into a 15. Likewise, the Ibanez P3115 - 300 watts into a 15.

Thanks for your input folks. Sorry, I should I have been more specific on the budget (I was on a train when I wrote the original post lol). I'd prefer to keep it under £200 but that BG250 looks awesome! I'm a working man now though so I might save up a bit and invest in something that I won't have to scrap or replace for the next many years. Shame I've just paid for a skiing holiday lol. Keep the suggestions coming!

Skiing holiday wins over a combo... but the best combo is the MB 102, IMO.
I would put the SWR Redhead at SH prices alongside it. Old school weight tho but, IMO, set the standard for the current batch of combo's if you get the old one.

For less money, you might want to be aware of GK combo's as they might do a job,

If money was tight, I'd go the Reidmar route with CL112 cabs..and add when I could afford to.

If you are going to save up, the Mesa Walkabout Scout combos are great. They come up used every now and again.

Also, have a read of [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168416-another-promethean-clone/"]this thread[/url]. Maybe this amp would do for you.

Ashdown MAGs are all very giggable. If you say you don't have a car how are you moving any of this? A Scout would be fine in a taxi for instance whereas a MAG wouldn't. And neither would really work on the bus.

Edited by Jack