Why become a member? ×

Recording 101 Blog Discussion

51m0n

Well here's a catch all topic for any chit chat about any of the blog posts I put up....

So far we have:-

[url="http://blog.basschat.co.uk/an-introduction-to-the-introduction-to-recording/"]An Introduction To The Introduction To Recording[/url]

[url="http://blog.basschat.co.uk/the-worlds-briefest-acoustics-primer/"]The Worlds Briefest Acoustics Primer[/url]

[url="http://blog.basschat.co.uk/setting-up-a-compressor/"]Setting Up A Compressor[/url]

[url="http://blog.basschat.co.uk/equalisation/"]Equalisation[/url]

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1345644227' post='1779917']
Fill it with rw30 and call it a basstrap mate - simples!

:D
[/quote]

It's got clothes in it :angry:

Although the room has a slight echo anyway and as it's rented I can't even put holes in the wall...

Now the living room has a fantastic echo I need to capture at somepoint, it can put you off if you're speaking loud :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry there's been so little movement on this, I've been preparing for the SE Bass Bash and its taken up the time I normally spend thinking about the blog.

On the plus side what I've prepared will go up on the blog once I'm done with it (woohoo two birds, one stone!)....

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1349271183' post='1824057']
Hey Si - great to see you the other day, albeit far too briefly - I just bough a Maxon - AF-9 - well ordered it... f-ing love that pedal so thanks for helping me find an envelope filter that works!

M
[/quote]

Hey No worries matey!

Sorry for adding GAS :D

If you find it as much of a tortuous route as I did to get a nice starting point to work from then ping me and I'll send you a photo of the settings I've got....

Si

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1349271786' post='1824068']

Hey No worries matey!

If you find it as much of a tortuous route as I did to get a nice starting point to work from then ping me and I'll send you a photo of the settings I've got....

Si
[/quote]

Thanks that may well be helpful - and to be honest it's the one pedal that I've been wanting for a while - my bass IQ is a bit f***ed now and I've been thinking about a replacement for ages - I was extremely impressed with the sensitivity of it and I think it'll work great in the bands that I do - so I don't really count it as GAS this time - just a sensible investment ;)

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1349271786' post='1824068']
[/quote]

Look here :

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/188181-potential-first-pedal-board/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/188181-potential-first-pedal-board/[/url]

It's your fault... (and partially sibobs to be fair)

Si, can I ask a question about this graph.

My understanding about attack time (from your talk and elsewhere) is that it imposes a delay before the compression starts acting. If that's the case, shouldn't those 3 graphs finish up at the same point ? After the delay, the same amount of compression is being applied, isn't it, in which case the signals should be at the same level (?).

I'm asking this because I'm interested in what happens between the compressor noticing the signal crossing the threshold, at which point the attack starts presumably (?) and the point in time when the attack finishes. Does the compressor progressively apply a higher ratio compression ? In practical terms I know all I need to do is listen for what it sounds like, but I have a geeky interest in what's actually going on ( sorry :) ).

Rather depends on the mechanics of the compressor in question. Thats a very simplified diagram to try and get the concept of attack time across. I wouldnt say its entirely accurate :D by any means...

In reality it is highly likely that you would find the level is going to jump down so that the max level is the same, there is a peak of initial attack allowed through and then as the compressor 'hits' it drops the level down to where its ratio setting would put it.

The curve that that describes is entirely down to the mechanics of the compressor, which is all about the circuitry or algorythms involved.

With a hard knee compressor the compression is applied as fast as possible by the circuit, if you go over the threshold you are being compressed to the desired ratio. No circuit is perfect so there will be a discrepancy though as the gain reduction is applied. With a software compressor that isnt the case.....

Maybe another diagram is required to show that???

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1349608547' post='1828155']
In reality it is highly likely that you would find the level is going to jump down so that the max level is the same, there is a peak of initial attack allowed through and then as the compressor 'hits' it drops the level down to where its ratio setting would put it.
[/quote]
Okay. I was going to draw an alternative diagram based on exactly that, then I thought that's not necessarily how it works, hence my first post.

So you think an immediate jump to the new level after the attack period is the most likely way this is applied ? That sounds like it might be easier to implement electronically than what I was suggesting, a gradual increase in compression ratio over the duration of the attack period (as defined by the attack control on the compressor).
[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1349608547' post='1828155']
The curve that that describes is entirely down to the mechanics of the compressor, which is all about the circuitry or algorythms involved.
[/quote]
I was beginning to think that. Varies by manufacturer in other words.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1349612364' post='1828230']
Okay. I was going to draw an alternative diagram based on exactly that, then I thought that's not necessarily how it works, hence my first post.

So you think an immediate jump to the new level after the attack period is the most likely way this is applied ? That sounds like it might be easier to implement electronically than what I was suggesting, a gradual increase in compression ratio over the duration of the attack period (as defined by the attack control on the compressor).

I was beginning to think that. [i]Varies by manufacturer in other words.[/i]
[/quote]

Yes, and even more by implementation, so a vari-mu works with different curves, to a FET, and an opto, and a VCA. They all behave differently, which is why they are all still desirable, because certain opto comps, although the slowest reacting of all the devices mentioned, do what they do in a really musical and satisfying way, the 'signature' sound of these devices is inherently a nice thing .

Of course at this point you are getting into compression for effect, and at that point you start trying to hear the compressor action a lot more. I love opto compressors for heavy compression, the way they 'bite' is a really pleasing sound.

VCAs are the most versatile, FETs are super fast, Opto is really slow, squidgy and just yum (hey, to me!) and vari-mu is a bit like another opto type, but quicker. Kind of, but again there isnt one single way of wiring any of these up, and there are many differetn sounding vaari-mus, and optos and so on.

How immediately the compressor kicks in is a big part of the sound of that compressor, its why different compressors sound different - that and the way they release. After all thats is all there is to differentiate two compressors with all the controls matched, how they apply and release the compression to the required ratio, whether they linearly do so, or with a curve, and how fast they can apply it. In a physical device there must be a period of time to apply that compression, but it may be so fast as to be effectively just 'on', or it may ramp up.

Plenty of big studios have several 1176s and La2as, and they all sound different, even the same edition ones. They are hardware devices, and old at that, over time they drift from the "perfect spec", maintained or not, and that imparts further character, and good engineers work out which sounds best on what source.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1349823774' post='1831142']
Blog updated with new, clearer and better (I hope) diagrams describing the effects of different attack times.

Hope this helps BBN!
[/quote]

Much appreciated, thanks :)

What's your idea of a minimum useful range for an attack control to cover, assuming the comp is to be used for bass only ?

Ahhhh, a trick question, depends on the player blah blah (neatly sidestepping the question) ;)

In reality, as fast as possible to 100ms will cover it, longer is fine though, you just are unlikely to go there IME. Usually I find myself around the 40 to 75ms range, depending on the day, how new the strings are, whatever else might make it feel right....

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1349881338' post='1831740']
In reality, as fast as possible to 100ms will cover it, longer is fine though, you just are unlikely to go there IME. Usually I find myself around the 40 to 75ms range, depending on the day, how new the strings are, whatever else might make it feel right....
[/quote]

Mmm .... sounds like a comp specced at 50us - 50ms is only just acceptable at the slow end then :-\

You cant say without hearing it. The 'action' that the compressor engages with may be quite slow, in which case it coudl be fine. Depends a lot on you and the circuit and how it feels to you....

Also if you have no limiter to catch excessive peaks then you will likely need to go a little faster in the attack to keep them under control....

Edited by 51m0n