Why become a member? ×

Squier vm precision basses

Geek99

I don't think you'll find a better bass anywhere in the same price bracket.
I bought a VM Precision a couple of years ago. It's a really solid build, factory set-up was pretty decent and the Duncan Design pickups sound incredible!

Obviously there are a few not so good ones but the good ones are pretty much the same quality as a MIM Fender, just built with cheaper wood.

I bought one as a 'cheap, but not too cheap' testbed for C,F,Bb,Eb tuning which my band uses for a few songs that our singer just can't hit in our usual half-step-down.

The body and neck are well made, the frets are well fitted and dressed and the rosewood board on mine is quite nicely figured, but the finishing of the back of the neck is a bit 'rough and ready' and I wasn't blown away by the Duncan Designed pickup as I felt it lacked definition compared to the stock hardware of my 2009 MIMs. Likewise, I thought the tuning machines felt a bit flimsy, but they did the job just fine so I left them to it.

In any case, the intention was always just to see if the thicker strings and different tuning worked, and if it did, to get another MIM, do the same to it and sell on the VM, but in the event it became clear that it was good enough to be a keeper, so I got it a Quarter-Pounder and a BadAss II (the latter being purely aesthetic), and it's still part of the family today.

I don't agree that they're the same quality as a 2009-onwards MIM because the neck finishing and the hardware just aren't up to that standard, but they're certainly 'good enough', especially for the money, and particularly if you plan to make a few hardware changes of your own.

I bought one and moved it on shortly afterward. The pick up poles were badly out of alignment and try as I might I couldn't get itany better. Had some rough fret edges too. It did sound pretty reasonable to be fair, but the build issues put me off. I do realise that this can happen with any bass at any price.

The VM Jazz I had seemed to be way above the P for build quality and the Duncan designed jazz pups sounded superb!

I bought the P blind so my fault!

LC

Seems what I have is an indonesian made 2006 with the white faded to something like Olympic white, the pickups are marked "Duncan designed". The rw board came up well after a clean and lemon oil. Body has a couple of minor dings that have been carefully painted over.
Pots are a bit crackly but I can sort that.
Never thought I'd like p basses but this is really quite nice. No sharp fret ends.

Edited by Geek99

I had a VM Jazz when they first came out, well built and sounded alright. Straight away I had the frets levelled and setup properly - it played better than most USA Fenders :lol:
Best of all, my mate worked for Dawsons at the time - I only paid about £120 new for it :lol:

[IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o600/geek99/BBB43362-9855-4E12-84BC-A3D669F856C5-584-000000A1ACDCFC86.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o600/geek99/D870A6FF-98DA-475E-A4E1-4BDD311D7B85-584-000000A19706C5E0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o600/geek99/DAE5638E-46C8-4058-8CF0-4D9EF1332DAA-584-000000A18AA7A173.jpg[/IMG]