Why become a member? ×

Jackson or Dean

Nicodemus17

Hi all, Im looking to buy my first bass. Ive been doing a lot of research online, cost being one of the main factors (obviously!) and ive decided if i cant pick a decent 2nd hand model im either gonna go for a Jackson JS2 concert or a Dean Edge 10A PJ, as they are both similarly priced (£206 and £216 respectively) Which I think is a fairly reasonable starting price, but if anyone disagrees I would appreciate any input.
One difference I have noticed between these too is the pickup arrangement. Are there any significant advantages of having one setup over the over, I know the Jackson has humbuckers, but aside from that anything else?
Obviously being a beginner, music style/genre is not gonna factor in too much at this stage, but metal and hard rock will be mainly what I will aspire to play - eventually.

Thanks in advance for any input.

[url="http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=2919010521"]http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=2919010521[/url]

[url="http://www.deanguitars.com/e10APJ_basses.php"]http://www.deanguitars.com/e10APJ_basses.php[/url]

I would have said get what I started on which is a Warwick Rockbass Streamer but they were £230 8 years ago. I would recommend a Cort Action or a Yamaha RBX from experience NOT an Ibanez GSR.

I'm a huge Jackson Charvel fan but I have only tried their beginner guitars which were fair - Dean I have never tried. I think you might like 80's hair metal like me if your looking to these brands, I may get a custom shop guitar from either when I return to work.

Cort is your best bet in terms of playability, value for money and versatility - you can play slap style nicely on these too, beginner guitars don't usually have the sustain & depth of tone.

^
What he said, but without the love of pointiness or hair metal...

Yamaha, Cort, Ibanez, Squier (also)
Mostly all made in the same manufacturing facilities, too.
Try the Warwick Rockbass series, too.

Have you any friends who can play? They may be able to help you try some out and give you er......pointers.

AND NOW TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION!!!

The Jackson will have better playability over the Dean due to the Jackson having 24 frets on a 34" scale - The Dean's 35" is usually used on 5 strings to increase tension but this can help with the lower tunings of Nu Metal.

The Jackson's humbuckers are more modern/versatile but you wont be able to exact the vintage tones that a PJ setup provides on the Dean.

The Jackson's Compound radius neck which will be more playable than the Dean (but the Cort's will be better still)

The Dean is an active bass meaning you will need to change 9volt batteries in the back of the bass but the output will be punchier. The Jackson has passive high output pickups (no batteries)

Unless your a big guy, I'd pick the Jackson of those two.

Your half right I do like my metal, but not the hair variety, so the look of these two is something ive taken into consideration....but i will get myself to a shop to see them
in the flesh before i make a final decision.
I am quite a tall guy (with long arms) so i dont think the longer neck of the Dean would bother me so much.
But a couple of you have recommended Cort so ive had little look online at the Cort Action. Some pretty good write ups especially about the playable neck, which is obviously important for a beginner. So thanks for heads up on that one ill definatley consider this one.
Not really a big fan of Fender/Squier, im sure they fantastic guitars but its just brand preference thing.
On one last note, annoyingly ive since spotted another axe which i like the look of, the ESP LTD B-50, any opinions?

Can't go wrong with ESP, weight seems to be the only issue - they can be heavy.

As mentioned above, Peavy Cirrus' are very good too - I had a USA Custom Shop model which played anything, my only dislikes were the 35" scale which i wasn't used to and i like having a passive/active switch. They are great value for money and they're light.

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1345130831' post='1774034']
Or, you could buy my Peavey Cirrus 4 BXP with bubinga top for less.
[/quote]

Yeah sorry mate, havent had a chance to check that model out until now.
A neck through bass for less than what im looking at now is EXTREMELY tempting. But Im in serious danger of falling for the whole convenience of online shopping - Im going to have to get down to a few shops so i can make an informed decision.
However if its still available by the time ive done that I might be interested. ill keep you posted

I am not actively looking to sell it, but I don't use it anymore and I noticed your post and your budget and I would rather it got used, as it's a fantastic bass and to be honest, in my opinion, leagues ahead of what you have been looking at. It's by no means in perfect condition, but it cheaper than what you are looking at.

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1345228599' post='1775371']
I am not actively looking to sell it, but I don't use it anymore and I noticed your post and your budget and I would rather it got used, as it's a fantastic bass and to be honest, in my opinion, leagues ahead of what you have been looking at. It's by no means in perfect condition, but it cheaper than what you are looking at.
[/quote]

Okey dokey, ill keep that in mind, cheers.
How much do you want for it just so i know?

Just bear in mind the image of a Peavey is a bit different from say the Dean

[url="http://www.peavey.com/products/instruments/bassGuitars/cirrus/index.cfm/item/115874/index.html"]http://www.peavey.co...5874/index.html[/url]

I'm not knocking it though, believe me, I have a 5 string Cirrus myself!

Edited by Oopsdabassist

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1345282973' post='1775804']
Just bear in mind the image of a Peavey is a bit different from say the Dean

[url="http://www.peavey.com/products/instruments/bassGuitars/cirrus/index.cfm/item/115874/index.html"]http://www.peavey.co...5874/index.html[/url]

I'm not knocking it though, believe me, I have a 5 string Cirrus myself!
[/quote]

The Peavey is 'pointy-er', but i kinda like that look, it looks alternative. I guess thats why im not so keen on Fender, because their so common its kinda lost some of its appeal to me. Their sought of like the Porsche 911 of the guitar world!
Also I chose that particular Dean over say the Edge 1 because of those awesome custom paint jobs. A paint job at some point down the line is something i would consider, so the way i figure it is why not pay an extra 15-20 quid and have one from the off?

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1345284141' post='1775818']
Cranes in Cardiff have a 2nd hand Dean Spire in trans black, looks very nice and although 2nd hand is a 'minter'. From what I can make out, the £399 they are asking is at least £150 off the best new price I can find.

LC
[/quote]

Thats a sweet deal for a sweet axe, but £399 is WAY out of my price bracket.
Thanks for the heads up anyway!

[quote name='Nicodemus17' timestamp='1345225814' post='1775301']
A neck through bass for less than what im looking at now is EXTREMELY tempting.
[/quote]

Don't fall into the trap of thinking a through-neck is better than a bolt-on. It's just a different method of construction.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

For 200 notes [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/181942-ibanez-sr300-iron-pewter-maple-board-fsft-l200/page__p__1773532__hl__ibanez__fromsearch__1#entry1773532"]this[/url]. Awesome piece of kit. Or search around for a Warwick Rockbass Corvette, you can get one for £150 and less 2nd hand.

New, I'd go for Ibanez, or Yamaha considering you're not too keen on Fender styling. A Yamaha RBX374 has a very good rep and are only about £250 new.

Good suggestions above, I'd like to add in some of the Schecters like the Stiletto. The one i owned was a great player.

I think the secret is to do a bit of research as you will be able to get a better quality bass 2nd hand for that money. You would get a nice higher range Peavey, Yamaha, ESP, Dean, Jackson etc. with better quality construction and electrics. You also stand a chance of getting your money back. Don't rule out Spector either.

Good luck!

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1345308738' post='1776171']
Don't fall into the trap of thinking a through-neck is better than a bolt-on. It's just a different method of construction.
[/quote]

I was under the impression that made them more durable and improve the sound, is this not the case?

A few people have mentioned Ibanez now and tbh I have been giving those a serious look too. They look awesome and ive heard loads about their thin playable necks. Between these and the Corts mentioned earlier I think I would prefer Ibanez (but would be happy if I can pickup a decent model of either 2nd hand)
ESP, Dean, Jackson and Spector are some of my favs too so im hoping I do pick up a bargain, but I never realised I might actually be able to get a Warwick! Wow! Would I be right in saying they only do bass guitars?

[quote name='Nicodemus17' timestamp='1345314046' post='1776234']
I was under the impression that made them more durable and improve the sound, is this not the case?
[/quote]

Controversial area-that is a can of worms that your opening :ph34r:

My opinion is that for most electric lead or bass playing it doesn't make much difference other than to the the sustain of the instrument. Having said that there are a whole host of other variables e.g. strings, electrics, build material, bridge design etc. Quality is more important than the construction.

Personally:

I prefer set of thru-necks on leads. This is because I love a sustained ringing sound and look for everything that helps achieve it. Since I settled on my 2 favourites, both Schecter thru-neck I have never looked back or wanted anything else.

For me basses are rhythm machines. I never need or want endless sustain from them. Therefore through neck is about the last thing I look for. Sound, feel and looks comes first for me.

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1345316109' post='1776274']
Controversial area-that is a can of worms that your opening :ph34r:

My opinion is that for most electric lead or bass playing it doesn't make much difference but other than to the the sustain of the instrument. Having said that there are a whole host of other variables e.g. strings, material, bridge design etc. The quality of the instrument is more important than the construction.

Personally:
I prefer set of thru-necks on leads. This is because I love a sustained ringing sound and look for everything that helps achieve it. Once I settled on my 2 favourites, both Schecter thru-neck I have never looked back or wanted anything else.

Foe me basses are rhythm machines. I never need or want endless sustain from them. Therefore through neck is about the last thing I look for. Sound, feel and looks comes first for me.
[/quote]

Sustain! That was the word i was looking for, it was on the tip of my toungue, just couldnt think - I hate that!
Yeah I notice Traben do that very thing with pretty cool looking 'tribal' bridge setup.
Im thinking through-necks are probably worth looking at later when im competant enough to play metal, perfect genre for sustain methinks. Unless I can pick up a bargain now. If I do I reckon ill go for it.