Why become a member? ×

how to boost the power on 5 string squire deluxe

hen barn

hi , i have a 5 string squire jazz deluxe and want to boost the power of it? its only my back up back so don't want to spend too much. I use a status bass for my main bass and the level difference it massive.

So do i look for some new pickups or get a new pre amp?

Has any one got any good pickups for sale

Depending on the output of your current pickups, new pickups could increase the volume dramatically. Its also a myth that all active basses are louder than passive ones. 5 string pickups are harder to come by than 4s but you should be able to find some. You could talk to Wizard Pickups as they do a range of Jazz Bass pickups as well as custom orders, so you could probably get some really nice sounding hot (loud) pickups made for under £100. Or have a look on eBay for some S/H. The good thing about Fender stuff is its industry standard so theres loads of bits around that will fit.

If you want to go the preamp route, you invariably get what you pay for, but the Artec preamps are incredibly cheap, usually only on eBay though. They are a little bit noisy compared to the more expensive ones. I'm not sure how much louder they are when running flat though. I'd start with the Pickups and stay passive personally.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1345028220' post='1772449']
You could always just pick up a cheap EQ/ boost pedal and step on that when changing basses.
[/quote]

I would try this route first, especially because it's easier to walk into a music shop with your bass and plug into an active DI pedal than it is to test-drive new pickups in your bass.

I've played some really old, cheap basses through a Fishman BassPro active DI that I have and it made them sound like new instruments.